Using an overdrive pedal as a booster.

• Hi everyone:

Today i made a test: i put my MXR Zack Wylde overdrive before my KPA to see what it happens ...... And it was a big surprise! I got a very defined and warm sound, specially for soloing ...... Well, i couldn't believe the sound that i got!
    The most important thing is that i was getting with high gain settings, a trebbly sound .... But now, i am getting a full and warm sound, like from a real amp! Goodbye trebbly sound!
    I don't know if this trebbly sound was as result of my PA's, but it doesn't bother me anymore, because for soloing and high gain settings, i am using my OD pedal before and getting an awesome and outstanding sound.
    I am sharing this experience, because it can be usefull for someone else.

Bye.

• +1 to viabcroce - quite a few rigs come with definition on 10 - drop this and add some clarity - can either give too much treble, or a half-cocked wah / artificial edge to the distortion. I run my Maxon od808 in front from time to time - but the stomps in the profiler work well when you reduce the gain as you would on a 'real' amp.

• Lovepedal COT, Paul C's Timmy and Klon come to mind. All great! Actually a good Fuzz Face with volume roll off is another way to consider.

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

• i never really used an overdrive pedal on my 5150 III and 5150 II. i never saw the need to, they have more gain than you'll ever need. i am a huge zakk wylde fan and own his wah so i got his overdrive pedal for xmas a few years back. tried it out a few times, didn't do anything i really liked. now it sits and collects dust. on my kemper however, i tried throwing in an overdrive on my 5150 III high gain profile, and to my surprise, it livened the metal tone up a bit. i go out of my way though to not make my rig to complicated as far as effects for tone. i want to get a great raw tone from scratch and rely on that mainly. the effects are for spicing it up a bit i guess

• Hi, I love my Fulltone 70 fuzz in front of the KPA. Not as a booster, i leave it on all the time, and keep my guitar volune rolled down a bit. Gives great hendrix-like clarity and sustain without common flutyness of a fuzz maxed out. The Fuzz DS in the KPA doesn't have a low enough setting for this imo, but it is a very good booster for me on top of the Fulltone 70 in front.

• I still use my full pedalboard in front of the Kemper using profiles of my Deluxe Reverb and Superlead. There is plenty of input headroom on the Kemper so I can still even use volume boosts from by OD pedals. I basically just use the Kemper as I would an amp. I haven't messed with the built in pedal models or post-amp FX too much.