Yamaha DXR12 boomy

• Hi folks,
    I usually use my Adam AX7's but recently I tried out the alto 112 speaker and liked it but switched to the Yamaha DXR12.

Unfortunately, I am really not having a lot of luck with it. It is very boomy and sounds like there is a lot of reverb in the sound.

I've tried all the different settings but can't get it to sound good. I play mostly distorted profiles but there is no note definition. Just sounds like a mess.

Any thoughts? Should I have gone with the DXR10?
    Honestly, the Alto 112 sounded better to me.

I am hoping to hear some ideas. Otherwise, I am going to return it.

Thanks!
    -T

• Have you played with the D-contour switch? Try setting it to "monitor" if you're using it a wedge.

How does the DXR12 sound if you play music through it? I find that almost any reasonably powerful 10/12/15" FR cabinet that is able to reproduce a full mix with a decent result also does a decent job with a guitar modeller. Your DXR isn't damaged in any way? Faults other than issues related to physical damage on these are rare.

• Also, mind the cab placement with respect to both where you put it on and where in the room it is. What you describe sounds (LOL) like bad coupling. It should not be like this at all.
    If you can, try the cab in a different (bigger) room, far from walls and corners and not placed on resonating objects such as drawers, wooden desks, wooden tables, wooden platforms.

+1 for listening to music: it should sound like any decent PA loudspeaker.

If none of the above helps, and you'r certain you're driving the cab with a good-sounding signal, chances are the cab is defective.