Metal Tones - how do you approach them with your KPA?share your knowledge/tips/tricks.

• AMAZING informations by all of you in this thread fellas really helpfull stuff in here... wich some i wasnt even aware they exist ! Thank everyone of you ....

Was abit consumed by work and couldnt come and read your answers guys so...

The thing is i can get a insanly good tone for "covers" but that is not my Tone Quest , i am doing covers to get start learning and get the tone of my dreams for my originals ... ( dont know if my english allow's to explain that its like the other way around ... i dont want to achieve a tone to complete covers...)

Anyway .... saldy i cant find any raw DI's for example Keith Merrow's song wich i find its really close to what my ideal rythm tone with some changes ofcours is ....

About drums and bass its okish from me ... i am one of those "freaks" i change strings on my guitar / bass to achieve a good tone in EVERY song ... its abit expensive to do... and i dont know if professionals agree or not on this ... but i have found that INSANLY fresh strings adds that "SOMETHING" to my recordings plus alot of "thickness" ....so yea i do that to achieve the best.

Keep the informations coming fellas its really helpull thread !

• My personal way to find a good tone:

1. Find a ton of tones that you think sound good
    2. Record all those tones
    3. Put them in a mix
    4. Filter out anything that doesn´t sound good
    5. Re-play the profiles that actually sound good in the mix
    6. Develop an ear for "what works" and "what not".
    7. Go back to #1

• Multitracks files: i'm not sure i'm allowed to give the direct link here :) but if you google : multitrack mogg
    you're very close to find the world's largest repository of multitracks files, ready for download ;)

• Keith is an insane rhythm player.

You really have to experiment with different ways of muting/hitting the strings on the picking hand to get that kind of tone down.
    Where to mute, how hard to hit the strings, where to hit the strings etc...
    Replicating the tone of another player in that regard is one of the hardest things to do.

If you'd get a DI file of Keith playing and run it through a lot of different rigs, you'd realize that it always sounds like him, regardless of the amp/profile used.
    Of course it will sounds better with some than others, but I think the key ingredient that you seem to be so determined to nail down is the tone in his hands.

Comparing his playing on the original with your cover it's evident that your playing style is different than his.
    I'm not saying yours is bad, but the one thing I noticed is that Keith plays quite a bit harder than you when he hits the strings, and he also mutes closer to the bridge.
    That paired with brighter guitars than the Les Paul and different Pups results in a pretty different tone to begin with.
    I guess that's also why his profiles didn't work for you (they don't work for me either, fwiw haha)

Hope that helped a bit, just try to experiment with that for a while, and you should be able to get closer to what you want to hear with any kind of good quality profile.

I'm totally in love with the looks of your les paul btw.

• Hey Mago , i know what you mean ... I dont want to sound exactly like Merrow i just want to find my road to that way of tone ... the video you saw its a product i wanted to be that way, if you notice i have Active pickups thats why there is no need of hiting or muting the strings diffrently ... thats why Merrow hits the strings harder and mutes strings accordingly to what sound he wants to produce he is using passive pickups wich plays a big role to his tone ... i have passive pickups aswell and baritone 7 string guitars and i can pick as hard as its needed.

Drums and bass plays a big part of his tone aswell i chose diffrent drums intentionaly hehe

If you have or know someone that has DI tracks of his i would be glad to try and mess around with reamping etc but i dont think thats the case...
    I dont want to insult Keith with my bad english so excuse me (KEITH IS AWESOME) if it will sound like it .....Merrow isnt THAT much of a great player himself everything its pretty basic.

He has alot of knowledge about guitar tones thought !!!! in general i think, but about his playing anyone with abit of rythm playing experience can "mimic" him .

So yes thats why his profiles didnt work out for you ... they are profilled with passive pickups and a baritone 26 3/16 scale ... so if you are trying with any hotter / active pickup and a standar guitar scale they will sound crap.

Some "deeper" tricks i've found after my video about Merrow sound if someone is aswell into that tone is.

1) His signature overdrive pedal from Protone pedals adds alot of the mojo in the tone.
    2) Dont compress guitars just sub-eq them
    3) Brutally low action on the guitar in a level that abit of buzzing goes into the recording just a tiny bit.
    4) Material of pick....for me intune picks does the trick.

If i remember correctly i have some samples on soundcloud ...
    Yep found some crappy sloppy playing excuse me

https://soundcloud.com/mariosangel/people-of-the-bog

https://soundcloud.com/mariosangel/pro-tone-pedal

But something is missing ...

Haha yea i love how i made that Les Paul look like ... and she is a beast aswell i have her with me over 10 years and she never betrayed me with anything!

Edited 4 times, last by Azazil ().

• Ah ye forgot that aswell 5)Ebony fretboard that bitterness that adds to the sound is a MUST
    6) for real amp/cab and i really dont know how to discover this mic placement and angle...

Edited once, last by Azazil ().

• hm no, I don't agree with the mentality that you can play softer with active EMGs than with passives.
    Sure the emg compresses (limits, actually) the signal, but if you play too soft it still sounds like you played too soft.

But however you wanna approach this man, do it your way! ;)

What I experienced so far, was that most of the times when players seek a certain quality in the tone of a certain player, they totally get lost in the gear and focus too much on details.
    Sure, every element plays a part in the overall tone, but that kind of gear oriented attention to detail makes you miss the most important part of the chain:
    the players hands.

just my 2c.

• Sure, every element plays a part in the overall tone, but that kind of gear oriented attention to detail makes you miss the most important part of the chain:
    the players hands.

just my 2c.

But then again the players hands only do so much.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• But then again the players hands only do so much.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

What do you mean man, there's obvious differences in the tone they produce haha

• What do you mean man, there's obvious differences in the tone they produce haha

Yeah there is an obvious difference - but it´s not really big. It´s there but not really in a way that the basic tone in itself differs in a significant way.

• Some tones I recorded while a ago

External Content soundcloud.com

sorry my playing is a bit sloppy.

gear>kemper rack-atomicCLR-fcb1010-espViper400-gretschJet-Firebird-7

• Yeah there is an obvious difference - but it´s not really big. It´s there but not really in a way that the basic tone in itself differs in a significant way.

I'd expect to see a bigger difference if they were playing melody lines or lead guitars. There is a subtle difference in the tone when each of those guys played it, but when I think concepts like vibrato would demonstrate a bigger difference in tone than just playing power chords.

• Yeah of course - BUT - if two skilled players do play the same part but with different "playing styles" the difference probably wouldn´t be big. The whole "the tone is in your hands" philosophy only applies (and this is highly subjective of course) in my opinion only to those cases where you have a very skilled and a very unskilled player next to each other

• Yeah of course - BUT - if two skilled players do play the same part but with different "playing styles" the difference probably wouldn´t be big. The whole "the tone is in your hands" philosophy only applies (and this is highly subjective of course) in my opinion only to those cases where you have a very skilled and a very unskilled player next to each other

I wouldn't say it doesn't hold water either. Even experienced players will sound different and indeed, even the same player can sound different. It's just that guitar playing is imprecise and by that I mean, unlike a computer, there's a human variable in there. Same with the drums and other instruments. How you play the same power chord twice in succession could differ greatly. And if you consider two or more people playing the same thing, there's bound to be a difference in how each of them play those chords, minute, as demonstrated in the video, but still there.

In that sense, if those players chose a tone that's suited to their style of playing, I'm convinced they wouldn't narrow in on the same sound -- one is likely to have had something with more bass, another with more treble, etc. If you put each of them with the same starting tone in different rooms and asked them to tweak the tone just using an EQ to their ultimate taste, I have no doubt that their fingers would decide the characteristics they choose. So in a way, the tone comes from their fingers :D

Another example of how tone is in the fingers. Look at a guy like Jimi Hendrix. Super sloppy playing style, I mean just in terms of how he holds chords, plays notes, etc. I have no doubt that any of today's guitar virtuosos would be able to transcribe his music, note for note. Would they sound like him though? Most probably not. That's why you can sometimes instantly identify a guitarist, not by his tone alone, but also the way he plays.

If you dig further into it, the kinds of phrasing, vibrato, etc. But definitely, at least to some extent, "the fingers" have a role to play in how someone sounds on guitar.

I don't know how many other players you have recorded yet dude, but believe me if after a while you really are able to tell what part of the tone comes from the player and what not.

It's a different kind of "different tone" than changing the cab or the mic though.