KPA through a PA: Signal is still too hot

• I've set the KPA to -21dB and during the auto trim process into the line6 stagescape, the mixer set the internal trim to +5dB. If i set the output of the KPA to -10dB the stagescape said the signal is way to hot. But i'm not really sure the mixer has realized the signal is line level, because of the XLR connection. The stagescape has an auto detection for all inputs normally depends on the jacks you use. I've configurated the inputs manually, but maybe there's something wrong. :whistling:
    My spdif out is at -6dB and it's all fine with the audio interface. Maybe i could try to connect the KPA to the stagescape with spdif too, and check if there is any difference.

• I've set the KPA to -21dB and during the auto trim process into the line6 stagescape, the mixer set the internal trim to +5dB. If i set the output of the KPA to -10dB the stagescape said the signal is way to hot. But i'm not really sure the mixer has realized the signal is line level, because of the XLR connection. The stagescape has an auto detection for all inputs normally depends on the jacks you use. I've configurated the inputs manually, but maybe there's something wrong. :whistling:
    My spdif out is at -6dB and it's all fine with the audio interface. Maybe i could try to connect the KPA to the stagescape with spdif too, and check if there is any difference.

That leaves the question if the gain staging in the stagescape is truly accurate.
    I have my doubts about those automatic procedures.

-21 plus 5 = -16

If you set the Kemper to -10db, that may be 6db too hot?

If you think it is because of the type of cable, use an XLR to 1/4" cable into the mixer,

• -21 plus 5 = -16

If you set the Kemper to -10db, that may be 6db too hot?

If you think it is because of the type of cable, use an XLR to 1/4" cable into the mixer,

Yep, normally i would use 1/4" for all line ins and XLR for mics but the mixer is assembled together with XLR splitters into a 19" rack and all cable connections are fixed by another company. I've made a plan before for them which cables they should use but they have taken XLR to XLR for the complete rack. That's the reason why i've made the configuration manually. At the moment it's all fine. The sound is fantastic and i think there is no disadvantage to set the main out to -21dB.

• might be a dumb post, but -21 set on my kemper main output was clipping the recording on my daw (sonar 7 with edirol/roland FA101).

suggest to turn everything down to infinite and raising gradually. you cannot miss it.......

Michael

p.s.: that's the beauty of having a potentiometer link so that one can set it on the fly

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music