Behringer X touch

• The X-touch-line are controllers, not mixing consoles, and they are primarily targeted at controlling DAWs. The cheapest digital mixer from Behringer is still the X32rack until the compaxt X18 comes out rsn. With future firmware you're supposed to be able to control the whole line of X32s using X-touch though.

• Thanks!
    Initially I wanted to wait for the X18 when it was announced at NAMM in January, but as there still is no hint of it end October I decided on the X32 rack now.
    The X18 was announced for second half of 2014 and I'm not quite sure ATM if it's vaporware.
    AFAIK there was a similar unit announced called X16 before the X18 which never made it to market.

• AFAIK there was a similar unit announced called X16 before the X18 which never made it to market.

I think it took so long that the X16 with a couple minor mods was relaunched as X18. Recently they announced XR18, a rackmount version of X18 as well as XR16 and XR12 digital rackmount mixers. The product presentation indicate that these somehow are intended to replace much of the current line of analog mixers. However, given Behringers recent track-record, I doubt customers will see any of these in the next year or two. It took them 2.5 years from the X32 was announced till the first full-size version of the console shipped. Even the smaller X32s that supposedly were just downsized versions of the full console took over a year from lauch-presentation to first shipment.

• I've been drooling over the pictures of this for a while. Just passed on a Mackie Universal Controller for my Reaper because I'm waiting for this one.

Normally I wait a while to see how hardware pans out, but I put in an order with Sweetwater on it as they say it should ship around Christmas.

Apparently a guy named "Klinke" put together a Reaper Extension for Mackie Controllers which the X-Touch claims it can interface with. Keeping my fingers crossed it works seamlessly enough.

• Oh dear, this thread is old :) And there's even older ones that mentioned the Behringer X-Touch.
    I'm so eagerly waiting for this to FINALLY be available. But I fail to get any kind of info when it will happen. This piece of hardware sometimes even makes me sleep bad because I'm so waiting for it *sigh*

So if someone could share some news on this, I would appreciate it a lot.

• Dunno, but it seems Behringer get a bit behind schedule for some of their products.
    I was waiting for the Nekkst monitor series, which were exhibited at Namm 2013, then 2014, and which are not out yet.
    Not sure if these products will ever come out ...

• They claim they were working on a new integrative technology between their products and had to redesign the X Touch to be capable of this putting the time table back. It was set to deliver for Christmas, then Q1, but I'm not holding my breath. I was going to buy early, but now may wait and see compatibiliy and reviews.

• Yeah I heard conflicting stories last fall from the US distributor but Uli was on a couple forums in the last month or so saying they would ship from the factory in Q1 in be in users hands within 6-8 weeks or so. They still aren't available to dealers for purchase though.

• Yeah, maybe that's more vaporware then.

If you are going to keep NOT delivering on promises, you need to really get out the WHY aspect to keep potential customers interested.

When I called Sweetwater, where I had an order in for it, they didn't know why. I found out through forums. I'm really starting to wonder about some companies "tech" support if I know more than they do, and this isn't my bread and butter industry.

• The Behringer X-Touch has just been added to the shop catalog of Thomann, Germany. Maybe 1 hour ago.
    I've ordered one and the sales guy told me that I'm #1 in the cue. YES!!!!!
    Feels nice to be in pole position but also it gives me the opportunity to tell you guys, hehe.

Expected arrival of the first batch of units is end of August. And if Thomann says then they are serious about it. :)

Cheers
    Martin

PS: They have the X-Touch mini (B-Stock) and the X-Touch Compact on stock at the moment!

• Finally! Great news.

• I gotta tell ya, cork sniffers knock Behringer all the time, but they really come up with innovative products. Well made and affordable for the working musician. I'd love for them to come up with an all in one PA system for small acts. I would be first on line for that.

• Not sure what your use case is, but the new units are a BIG step backwards if you need to send MIDI the boards.

The encoders don't respond to incoming MIDI data on the corresponding channels when you configure the board. IOW, the button lights and encoders only receive MIDI data on specific hardcoded channels, regardless of what channel they send on. Moreover, the encoders don't receive MIDI data AT. ALL. Insane! The only data they receive are very specific messages to turn on/off specific LED lights (13 possible messages for each encoder). It gets better. Those LED lights that you can update via MIDI do not correspond in any way to the value of the encoder the LED belongs to. So for example, you can't send CC# value of 30 to an encoder and it will update itself along with the LED. Nope, you can only tell that encoder to light up LED light #5 (out of 13), but the encoder is still set to whatever it was before, only the light changes. I just don't get it.

It's entirely brain dead. Honestly, I can't think of any possible explanation except that they built the basic minimalistic MIDI receive features they needed to interact with the X32 platform, ignoring it's use in any other context.

• It's entirely brain dead. Honestly, I can't think of any possible explanation except that they built the basic minimalistic MIDI receive features they needed to interact with the X32 platform, ignoring it's use in any other context.

When I look at the X-Touch its layout tells me that it is designed primarily to be a DAW-controller. Interoperability with the X32 was obviously an afterthought. I certainly don't expect wonders. What Behringer/Midas is lacking at the moment is a full-function controller for their faderless rackmount mixers similar to Presonus CS18AI.

• I see your points but I wonder how you can know. These devices haven't yet hit the market, apart from the tiny X-Touch mini.
    I will get one X-Touch and then see how it works. I have 30 day money back guarantee, so no risk to just get it and try on my own. :)

And just to avoid misunderstandings ... I ordered it to use it as a DAW controller with Cubase Pro 8.

• I am a Behringer integrator.

We've been testing the new Mini units in-house and have confirmed how they behave. The Compact units are still on the slow boat and haven't arrived in the US yet but you can look at the Manuals online. They behave the same way.

Hoepfully they'll issue a firmware update so they can receive MIDI data in a normal manner.