Looking for a Bass VST

• Hi there,

although i have been playing the bass in a couple of bands i enjoy to play bass on my keyboards and quantize the files. i just love that exact sound.
    i know that trilian is great, a friend of mine has it. but i need only two good straight rock sounds and do not want to install 20 GB of sound libs for my purpose.
    any sugestions?

cheers

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Thanks a lot for the hint. I found many sites but not VST planet. The Matrix is more or less a joke, at least for a rock musician.
    but i am going to check out the Bass Line plug in.
    it is not that i do not want to spend money, it's just that trilian is THAT huge.
    any other hints?

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Making rock music and using a vst instrument as your bass really aint a good idea. along with programmed drums it will sound very static.but to answer your question maybe native instruments scarbee is something for you?!
    Besides that trillian is the go to software for bass. maybe you dont need to install all the content you dont need

• Hi Geraldo , don't you use my bass rig for guitar anymore ?

I can provide more if needed , or do it yourself by using an octaver on a clean rig with a good amount of basses, a little compression and some adjustments in the amp & cab section.

• Thank you for all of your answers. I sold my bass and amp years ago, because i wanted to quit playing the 4-stringer in bands and play guitar instead.
    My grooves used to sound good okay using EZD1 and a bass VST on an old cubase SE. two years ago i changed to win8 and cubase artist 7.5
    and while much sounds better the grooves suck a little and i do not know why. so my thought is: maybe trilian is worth the 220 euros? in order to get me on
    the right track again. the thing is: i do not havve the slightest talent to use EQing, just a hopeless case, i need out-of-the-box-solutions.

• waraba, paults and viabroce: tried this, used warabas bass (thanx again, mate) but in the mix the "bass" played with the strings of a guitar sounds somehow always under-the-carpet and gets hidden in the mix, plus it lacks ofcourse the punch of a real bass. result: i play terrible, which is ofcourse nobody's fault but mine. ?(
    • Ingolf | have a look at this video, this is EXACTLY what happens when i quantize a wave!!! :D i ruin a good groove! this guy needs 5 minutes to bogart a good groove onto something terrible. i havent succceeded in quantizing a groove yet, too.
    • @nightline, thanx for the hint, i'll check this out, but it really comes down to trilian, does it not
    • KoMa , oh you actually play the 4-strings? did not know this. excellent groove in "cant remember" imho. but the drums are SD? sounds good to me. if only me were able to get this kind of sound. sigh. scarbee offers good samples indeed, i have checked them out, but the price for just one bass lets me say: trilian is the choice concerning price-value considerations.
    • All / i am going record a 60-second demo with a transposed profile today, but have little hope. does anyone have a demo using a bass profile? anyway, thanks for your hints

cheers

• @Geraldo7: I know I have quantized audio many times, especially I helped bass and kickdrum being more tight together using audio quantization in Logic for some of the songs I have been recording lately. The results are outstanding and much more musical than quantizing midi.

• Methinks I have to learn how to audio quantize.

The biggest plus for me is that (at least in Logic) audio quantize doesn't need to be an automatic thing (although it can be).
    I listen to a passage and only quantize bass notes that are too 'off' for me, I can decide if the bass is more a head or more laid back, this can be very musical and can add to what was intended when it was initially played.

• The biggest plus for me is that (at least in Logic) audio quantize doesn't need to be an automatic thing (although it can be).
    I listen to a passage and only quantize bass notes that are too 'off' for me, I can decide if the bass is more a head or more laid back, this can be very musical and can add to what was intended when it was initially played.

I have a copy of Samplitude Pro X as well as Cubase 6.5, no Mac here! Heard good things about Logic and the Mac in general, but being a bit of gamer, the choice has always been a PC.

I was just looking into the audio quantize function in Samplitude and it looks pretty sick. There's even a function to make each quantisation point into a midi trigger, which could be run into a VST like Superior Drummer. Even the one in Cubase is quite advanced. I'm more keen on using it for drums at the moment, but I can see the advantage of being able to do so with bass as well. I can play the bass quite well though and have a good sense of groove.

The thing that's holding me back from using quantize right now, of course, is the fact that I'm unable to record multi-track drums at the moment, everything is pretty much on one track with my current module, which is a definite no-no for professional results. Looking for a solution to be able to do so and then, touch wood, I'll be able to put together the CD I've been working on for the last five years.

• KoMa , oh you actually play the 4-strings? did not know this. excellent groove in "cant remember" imho. but the drums are SD? sounds good to me. if only me were able to get this kind of sound. sigh. scarbee offers good samples indeed, i have checked them out, but the price for just one bass lets me say: trilian is the choice concerning price-value considerations.

Ohthanks, that's very nice to say from you. I actually play bass in the band, so I can assure you i's a „real“ bass track. There's actually no great voodoo with the bass sound. Used my favorite profile which is the h&k bassmaster r.u.serious uploaded on the RE. Works very great with my squier bass. But what's actually very impotant and can't be simulated with any gear → new strings. The diffrence is huge. You know that from playing guitar but with bass, in my opinion, new strings add even more to a great sound.

It's your decision to go with a vst-instrumen, bu you're a good guitar player so you should be easily able to play a fitting bass track for your recordings. I highly doubt you'll gain better results with trillian than with really playing the instrument.

Let me ask you, are you playing the midi parts with a keyboard or are you drawing notes with the mouse?

• @Ingolf i do not understand. with drums i can imagine that this works, but with guitar or bass? when i play bass there is almost no pause. a slide here, a dead note there. a vibrato, a legato line. if you quantize, what happens? the slices get moved anyway and leave the vibrato at the end of the note where it was.
    OR NOT?? ?(
    @KoMa thx for the flowers ;) . i am seriously trying bass profiles right now. that would save 222 euros for me.
    i have usually played bass on my touch sensitive keyboards. and editing the velocity of the notes en detail, so that no boring line of intensity exists. i never draw notes with the mouse.

• @Ingolf i do not understand. with drums i can imagine that this works, but with guitar or bass? when i play bass there is almost no pause. a slide here, a dead note there. a vibrato, a legato line. if you quantize, what happens? the slices get moved anyway and leave the vibrato at the end of the note where it was.
    OR NOT?? ?( .

NOT. ;)
    Like I said before, in Logic it's absolutely no problem to pull the attack of a bass note to a certain time. This works great even with fast played 8ths. You can even alter pitch and vibrato in a melodyne style afterwards if you want.
    You should seriously check what Cubase is capable of I think you don't use it to its full potential.

• NOT. ;)
    Like I said before, in Logic it's absolutely no problem to pull the attack of a bass note to a certain time. This works great even with fast played 8ths. You can even alter pitch and vibrato in a melodyne style afterwards if you want.
    You should seriously check what Cubase is capable of I think you don't use it to its full potential.

Yes, this feature is there in Cubase. I wouldn't strictly call it quantise, though it comes under that function. It's more like a type of object editing, though you use the quantize wizard to create hitpoints and then manipulate those hitpoints as well as the note.

If you were using the quantize strictly, you'd be automatically locking those hitpoints to a grid. But Ingolf's method of manual manipulation is more like object editing, at least, that's the way I understood it.

A great feature. I can imagine using it for small corrections, but if the basic track isn't up to scratch, probably makes more sense to do a multi-track recording and comp to get the best result.

If you have a bass, Geraldo7, I second the suggestions made about playing the instrument and then using a quantize function to put things into place. It'll sound much more natural than a VST anyday. ^^

• Thanks nightlight for checking that Cubase can do this well.
    Whatever terminology is chosen, fact is you can manipulate audio in a way that wasn't possible a few years back.
    You can find attack points or hitpoints automatically and quantize them to a grid or you can do this manually.

If the track is played decently the results doing a few corrections manually will be great.