Platinum Profiles set 2 - Vintage Marshalls + Les Paul's preamp

• http://petesprofiles.weebly.co…---vintage-marshalls.html

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Been using these live and for recording... here are a few video clips. I still enjoy the Marshall profiles I've done, but these have a more vintage quality to them. It's amazing how you can have two different people profile the same amp and cab and get different results. The Kemper is such a complex and dynamic amp... versus other modeling amps that give you one amp for a model. Boggles my mind :)

Pete

• Damn these are nice. I'll have to grab them for sure. Thanks!

Sweet! We had the entire building shaking, the 1970 Marshall for whatever reason was a little louder than the 1972 and MUCH louder than the 1974. I know a 50 watt amp shouldn't be that much quieter than a 100 watt amp, but holy crap the 100 was like thunder. I'm surprised guys back in the day weren't disintegrated from the sheer volume onstage! :)

• Just got these and about to put 'em through their paces. Minor details caught my eye from the bundle description; one of the amp is said to be "1974 50 watt 6550 Super Lead", but as I've understood the Marshall model goes as mentioned in the http://www.solodallas.com/the-vintage-marshall-guide/

• 1987 – Any Marshall Lead circuit (50w, non-MV)
    • 1959 – Any Marshall Super Lead circuit (100w, non-MV)

So the 1974 is actually 50 watt (1987) Lead, not Super Lead, right?

• Well there's so much that go into a profiling session, especially if you use intermediate gear (preamps, eq's etc) and even playing a profile uses so many variables it's amazing anyone CAN sound like anyone else.

• Just got these and about to put 'em through their paces. Minor details caught my eye from the bundle description; one of the amp is said to be "1974 50 watt 6550 Super Lead", but as I've understood the Marshall model goes as mentioned in the http://www.solodallas.com/the-vintage-marshall-guide/

• 1987 – Any Marshall Lead circuit (50w, non-MV)
    • 1959 – Any Marshall Super Lead circuit (100w, non-MV)

So the 1974 is actually 50 watt (1987) Lead, not Super Lead, right?

Yup, sorry about that. It is a 1974 6550 USA model, and 50 watts. I got that part right :D

Pete

• I'm a bit late to comment, since I have them already for some time. I just love the '70 and '74, those are so "in the room" sounding, it's unreal. There's also a lot of tonal variety. For example "PTP 70 Marshall 05" is just great for the neck PU of a Les Paul. Those who still seek to recreate the "brothers in arms" tone: This is your ticket. 70 Marshall 04 is great for a more balanced rhythm sound with less midrange. And so on....

I have a problem with the '72 though, all profiles of that amp sound awful to me. No bottom end, brittle and harsh. Pretty much like a broken Line 6 POD first generation. I don't belive they were meant that way and when I mix and match the cabs from the '70 Marshall all is well.

"PTP 72 Marshall 08" has the Cab-section switched of and when I switch it on there is no cab at all. This lead me to believe there might be a technical problem with the cab part of the '72 profiles. I have to say I had 2.8 installed at one point and thought it might be a problem with the new format. But I have downgraded to 2.7.4 release since and the problem still retains. When I choose a different cab for that cabless 72 M 08 profile I get the "merge cabinet" option which is very strange since I am on 2.7.4 and shouldn't see that option at all.

Pete did you do anything different when profiling the '72? Maybe it's the same problem that Andy had with some of his AC30 profiles?

• @Garrincha, I just checked these and have the same experience. I've put some '70 and '74 directly as favorites, but '72 sound unusable as they are from the release.

"PTP 72 Marshall 08" doesn't seem to have CAB in it at all. Cab section is empty. Replacing some other cab in the there acts as usually (I'm still on 2.6.x FW).

I made some quick test and here's a clip with PTP 72 Marshall 06. First with its original cab and then cab from one of the '74 Marshall profiles.

External Content soundcloud.com

• Played some more with mixing that '72 Marshall with cab taken from other profile and stumbled in some cool sound. Shows the Kemper's flexibility once more. :thumbup:

External Content soundcloud.com

• Did nothing different with that amp other than swap the head - used same cab and setup as the others. I don't remember the exact software version but it was whatever was non-beta at the time. Weird about the cab, I'll give that one a second look and if there is something wrong with the profiles I'll fix it going forward and offer the fixed profile(s) to those that have purchased it. One thing to remember is this is why I do so many profiles of amps within the same pack - I can never say you're going to to like every profile I do, because I try to range them to fit as wide a pattern of use as possible. I don't think it's possible to dial in an amp to fit every guitar and playing style and situation either, so I try to make sure that profiles are fairly wide ranged.

Thanks for making me aware of it, I'll give it a audio gander soon and let you guys know what I come up with. :)

Pete

• Thanks for chiming in Pete!

I still think there is a technical problem, maybe on my end. Since I posted my concerns I've learned that my current 2.7.4 indeed supports the new format already. That would explain why I see the "merge cab" option. But that would also mean my KPA detects that profile as a DI-profile and that is strange.

I know you are doing a broad range of sounds with your profiles and the 70 and 74 show this and they are absolutely phantastic! It's just that '72 that doesn't sound like something you would have intended. Using a cab from one of the 70 or 74 profiles with the 72 works well and makes the 72 sound like your usual high standard. So I'd expect the problem to be somewhere in the cab-section.

I will try and install a firmware lower than 2.7.4 to make absolutely sure my KPA doesn't have a trace of the new format options left. I will also reset everything and see how it goes. There must be something OS-related.

When I understand Andy's problem with some of his recent AC30 profiles it was also a problem with the new format.

Interestingly enough those profiles worked for me on my KPA. I was on 2.8 then though and have downgraded since.