clean&distortion sense down ,rough rig -no effects and external pedals=Holly Grail Tone

• Should I say more?
    OK
    By accident, my clean and distortion sense was -2,6 and -4,6 respectively , what I discovered only after set up at least 20 profiles in performance mode .
    How did I discovered that? Once I understood a big difference between sound of the same profiles in browse and performance mode.
    I didn't know Input may have different settings when switching from browse to performance, even if its locked ???

Important is to use natural , rough profiles with no any effect on.
    There are plenty of those in a few months back, it becomes kinda new Kemper fashion, good fashion.
    Second, 4 of my guitars are very powerful, mostly very wide frequency range and strong HB's .
    Since rigs sounded just on that brown break point and a little bit muddy and not so strong and clear , instead to mess with profile and EQ'a(what I don't like any more ,at all) I added external BB preamp and/or few different distortion perdals - and hop- miracle just happened. Especialy with my Tom Anderson guitars ,in the past , I always had to decrease gain, definition and clarity, since guitars are very strong .
    IN this setup with decreased both senses , they become what they are -the best sounding guitars in the World, period.

One more condition to my holly grail tone is playing not trough QSC's but via hand wired valve amp and Messa cab 2x12 ,what is probably ,after guitars character, the most important ingredient .

For the amplifiers like a Fender, Vox etc, for which is most difficult to make decent profile- this is just shining area .
    For the first time I am happy with few Fender and Vox profiles ...
    It sounds ABSOLUTELY 1:1 , and sometimes 2:1 ,in a favour of Kemper.

If you have the similar set up , maybe worth to try , let me know about outcome .
    And you must play loud ,not for the bed room players .....
    Cheers,
    Zoran

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

Edited 3 times, last by Rescator ().

• I'll have to give that a shot. I noticed that most people seem to have a positive clean sense, but for me it seems to sound better with a slightly negative clean sense. I dont think my humbuckers are extra hot so I have to wonder when I see people talking about having their's cranked up.

• By accident, my clean and distortion sense was -2,6 and -4,6 respectively , what I discovered only after set up at least 20 profiles in performance mode .

Heck. It's true 8o
    In PM my CS was set to 6.5, a value I certainly would never set by myself.

I'll have to give that a shot. I noticed that most people seem to have a positive clean sense, but for me it seems to sound better with a slightly negative clean sense.

As long as you do not clip the A\D converter, the CS setting has no influence on the sound: it's just a linear, pre-A\D volume control.

HTH :)

• Are you saying that you set the CS in Browse mode, saved the rig, then copied the rig into a slot in Performance mode and the CS was changed? If so, then that seems like a bug...doesn't it?

• Sure, I get that. But if I'm copying the rig into a Performance Mode slot I would expect that the current settings for the CS/DS and the noise gate would be copied that slot too (and then, of course, I can change them to whatever I want in PM independently of BM). Not sure why that wouldn't be the correct way for the KPA to copy the rig settings...

• No, it's not a bug, it's actually a feature.
    Certain base parameters like the noise gate and the sens controls need to be set individually in BM and PM.

What's the advantage of this feature? It doesn't make any sense to me.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• What's the advantage of this feature? It doesn't make any sense to me.

For example: You want to use diffferent guitars for different performances and need different clean sens or gate settings. Easy. Just unlock the input and store with the performance.

• For example: You want to use diffferent guitars for different performances and need different clean sens or gate settings. Easy. Just unlock the input and store with the performance.

Yep in the studio i use browse mode and obviously clients bring in different guitars which require different CS/DS. But performance mode i only use so the CS/DS are set for my guitars and playing. Im happy with it being different for both BM and PM

• I see, thanks. Do you have to save CS/DS per slot or "globally" per performance? If the first is right, there is no difference between PM and BM with unlocked input.

• I guess the aspect you guys are discussing in the last posts is just a part of a greater idea; it's not focused on CS\DS, you can for example lock and unlock things differently in BM and PM.
    I just think Kemper wanted to make them two independent environments, and went the whole hog.

• I must admit I'm surprised. Never heard or read something about CS/DS per performance and things locking and unlocking different in PM and BM. Are you guys sure? Can you point me to a thread or a certain part of the manual?

• I am glad if I brought something to the forum , this time by accident :D
    Actually , now I see it is great feature !
    Cheers,
    Zoran

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)