The Kemper Profiler PowerRack

• I have a real interest in owning a Kemper unit. I am leaning towards the Kemper Profiler Power Rack. I do have a few questions though. If I am not playing through a speaker cabinet and just want to go direct into my Audio Interface then into my DAW do you turn off the power amp section of the unit? I would think if it was on all the time and not being used it would create allot of unwanted heat.
    What cabs are people using that are not coloring their original sounds to the point where the patches dont sound the same? There must be some neutral sounding speaker cabs out there.

Thanks Kevin

• The poweramp can be disabled in the output menu, but it doesn't get hot so there's no need to be overly cautious. As for profiles sounding the same, I use mine live mainly through a Marshall 1936 2x12 and have no problem distinguishing between them. Sure, a FRFR cabinet would give the profiles their own nuances, but I reckon you should try it for yourself and make up your own mind. I don't miss anything onstage and playing through a regular guitar cab has made the switch to digital easier (I have a passive 12" PA speaker with a tweeter that I experimented with, but it didn't float my boat). I'm still going to get a CLR (or a NEO when they come to Europe), but for now it's a great solution for me.

Cheers,
    Sam

• I would also like to be able to take the amp to jam with friends. It would mostly be for home use but I also think it would be nice to be able to use the tones to play live once in a while. It would allow me to sell one of my amps to help fund the purchase of a Kemper. Maybe a CLR cab is my answer.

• If the unit is not destined to be kept in studio, I'd also consider a Lunchbox form factor, which I find to be easier to manage and carry... Unless you already use a rack case for other stuff (but then you'll have to mount it / take it out / mount it again...).

:)

• It's simple really, if you can afford/have the funds available, always buy the Powered version of either the Head or Rack.

Since when do guitarists have any clue about their future plans, having the Poweramp built into your Kemper means it's always there if you want to use it in the future...

• So true LOL

But the notion that a Lunchbox can be retrofit any time later and a Rack can't makes a difference IMO, specially when funds are not available. And you can anyway save a lot of money.

• Well, if there were no retrofit-aftermarket solutions for the Toaster I'd seriously consider buying a powered version, just b\c making the leap later would be time-consuming, unpractical and expensive :)

• That said, a lot of people go direct nowadays. It's no longer something to be looked down on. Carefully evaluate your usage scenario. There are no minuses to getting a power rack, but there are no negatives to just buying a regular toaster either, since it can be used in all possible gig scenarios. I might someday look into an aftermarket solution, but then again, I'm so happy with FRFR, I probably won't.

• Unless you're going to be spending enough time in the studio that it'll sit semi-permanently in a rack OR you're touring with a big set up with road crew, I'd get the toaster. It's more portable and convenient in many ways. I kind of wish I'd got one instead of my Power Rack sometimes. Sometimes even to the point where I'm considering buying a second KPA in the form of an unpowered toaster... Much more convenient for noodling at home. My Power Rack sits out in the studio, but it's getting more and more difficult to get out there these days. Family life!

Cheers,
    Sam