Yamaha DBR-12

• Hi guys,

bought a pair of Yamaha DBR-12 yesterday. Good speakers for anything but KPA. I knew about the DXR-10. But I needed the speakers also as small PA for rehearsals etc. That's why I choose the DBR-12.
    OK - that's only my opinion. They sound artificial with the KPA. My old cheap XXL speakers sound better. Good thing that I planned to stick to my Matrix/guitar speaker combination anyway. But I didn't expect them to sound so shitty!
    DSP setting is off. Tried all combinations. Not recomendable!

• Sorry folks,
    I have to readjust my comment about the Yamaha DBR-12. I had a gig tonight and I used one speaker as a monitor. Great transparent powerfull sound. Very impressive. Only thing, all my old favorite profiles don't work anymore. At least I have to EQ them differently.
    Another conclusion is, many of the so beloved MBritt profiles now working quite good. Especially the ones from Pack2. So forget what I wrote in previous posts.
    Only bad point - it was not so much a good exercise for my ears. My tinitus is beeping even more. Hope it goes away. Need some ear plugs in the future.

• But what happened??? Probably not speaker break in. First artificial / shitty, then transparent, powerful, impressive.
    Again, what happened in between? ?(

A common problem when testing a new FRFR is the reference you have. If your older speaker was far to be linear, then good chance are that you tuned your tones wrongly to get a good result thru them. And when you try a better more linear speaker with the same profiles they will obviously sound bad.

So, IMO, the best reference is to compare with a good studio monitor.

But what happened??? Probably not speaker break in. First artificial / shitty, then transparent, powerful, impressive.
    Again, what happened in between?

Here is the answer:

A common problem when testing a new FRFR is the reference you have. If your older speaker was far to be linear, then good chance are that you tuned your tones wrongly to get a good result thru them. And when you try a better more linear speaker with the same profiles they will obviously sound bad.

Edited once, last by Bluesman ().