24 frets and pickup position

• I'm considering treating myself to a new guitar. I play in an original prog rock band where my sounds cover the whole clean to super high gain range - with the various in between sounds. I also play funk and reggae so warm and vintage sounds as well as more modern ones are my thing.

My main guitar is a self build, set neck 24 fret Strat type, maple neck, mahogany body, maple cap, Earvana nut, HSH, fixed bridge that I made from scratch on a course. I love the playability of it but miss having a trem.

I still use my Fender Floyd Rose equipped made in Japan strat for those classic strat tones. Mine has lace pickups in the single coil positions - which is what I use it for.

I have a 1995 PRS CE24 that was my only guitar for many years - I still use it for recording and it's a great guitar but not used so much these days.

I've got used to 24 frets and easy high fret access and have been considering Suhr Modern, Vigier and other guitars. I'm thinking non locking bridge.

I was speaking with a small high end guitar maker who swore that having 24 frets was a bad thing as you don't have your neck pickup where it should be. Of course, I've not got a single coil in my self build or PRS so can't say how that would sound on a 24 fret guitar.....

What do you guys think about the whole neck pickup position thing? And based on what I'm looking for, any other guitar suggestions for me?

Thanks,
    Andy

• I've had no issue with my 24 fret Navarro compared to my 22 fret custom and standard PRS they all play the same. Ive never heard of a 24 fret guitar not letting the pickup be in the right place. Take someone like Steve Vai uses 24 frets if it was that big of an issue he would have his tech sort it. Like Paul said change your guitar builder :)

• Even Joe Satriani uses a 24-fret with chicken foot. My first electric Guitar had (has) 24 frets. But for me 22 are enough. I even have two guitars with 21 frets.
    Conclusion: If you (feel) you need 24 frets choose a builder who builds what you want.

• Yeah, it's a pity, I like everything else about this guy, and he might do the 24 frets....he has done a ton of research into wood combinations etc....but it seems to be that people get really dogmatic about stuff.

It was more about my hope of getting Strat and Modern sounds out of a 24 fret guitar.....the Suhr Modern is one I'll try.....I know you can't get everything from one guitar....but it would be a thing of beauty if I could get my strat sounds out of a guitar with the playability I hanker after. :)

• Custom guitars have never really appealed to me mainly because you can't try it out before it's made. How do you know you will like the feel of how it plays before its made this is the 1 thing that has stopped me ever having a guitar made. I would take a trip to your local store and play every guitar they have available and also get them to order some in that you like the look of. Then you can really get a feel of what you want and what you like :)

• Sounds like Ed Roman :)

Well... I'm sure it has some effect on the neck pickup, how couldn't it. But I don't think it's "bad", just different. And that exact argument works in reverse too, you know :) Whoever decided 22 frets had the RIGHT sound and 24 the wrong one?

Ed Roman!!!! I haven't heard that name for ages I remember stumbling across his site and reading about the heal from hell that PRS guitars have after a certain date :) a friend of mine went to Vegas and even had Ed make him a guitar it was ok an Ibanez copy really cost him a lot of money though

• He may not have a CNC template programmed for that case and that is a bad thing -> for him. ;)

There is no right and wrong in this. It is simply different.

I believe that PRS moves the bridge slightly towards the neck and has the neck joint at a higher fret compared to a 22 fret model. The scale length remains the same.

If you go custom build and shell out the extra dough I would definitely look for a builder with experience.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• This guy is good and I can and try a number of guitars - which is vital....I was in love with the idea of a particular Vigier...before I played it....I plan to play lots of guitars but not see easy where I live. As an aside, I am in Las Vegas for work in Feb and have a few hours spare to guitar shop....any recommendations if you happen to know that neck of the woods?

I do also like the way my entry level 7 string RG7321 plays....and would consider a 6 string Ibanez....but the higher end ones with 24 frets (or even 22) and non locking trems seem to be few and far between....

• I'm very, very satisfied with my Suhr GG Modern. It's the closest thing to the Holy Grail of guitars for me.
    It does everything, from Jazz to blues to heavy metal...