So what does MIDI OUT actually, um... output??

• I was expecting, for instance, that if I used an Expression Pedal input to change the Volume Pedal value, MIDI Out might send a corresponding CC7 message. This would be ideal for controlling other hardware with the KPA as the central brain/hub. But alas, it does not work that way.

Similarly, I would expect PC numbers to be sent via MIDI Out when Rigs or Performance slots were selected. This will be especially important once Profiler Remote ships. The Remote has no MIDI Output, but if the KPA were to send some kind of predictable MIDI PC/CC when state changes per the Remote, then the combination of KPA + Remote would serve as an effective MIDI controller.

I guess I can make this a feature request, but first I wanted to know whether there's already a way to configure the KPA to do any of the above. I scoured the Input/System/Rig/Master menus but didn't find anything. :(

• - My big annoyance with Many Top Guitar products for live performance is the "Closed Sandbox" infrastructure paradigm - and designing an external controller that only addresses their own product's needs - with zero regard for "Real World" Live Rigs where any idiot should be able to figure out that supporting a few mapable MIDI CC# event transmission per pedal for controlling third party gear in the same rig is desirable and useful ( mandatory IMHO).That was my huge Complaint with the "UNO4Kemper" ROM for FCB-1010 - transformed the FCB-1010 into a great KPA controller - but forget about using it to control other MIDI Controlled FX gear along with your Kemper too.

• The KPA has this great automagical tempo detector, but then can't send MIDI clock. This cripples the feature for me; I still have to tap the tempo on outboard gear and send clock to the KPA.

I like the Performance Mode organization; it would be nice to integrate it with outboard gear.

As Elantric says, every piece of equipment wants to pretend it's the only one you use. Sigh.

• It seems that MIDI OUT does nothing :/ I was monitoring midi out activity with midi-ox monitor - and it seems that no signals are send trough this port.

Currently it is only useful if you're using an approved controller (Uno4Kemper, Liquid Foot, etc.).

I think they wouldn't have put the MIDI OUT connector on the Kemper if there was not a plan to eventually use it for something.

Hopefully this will be a nudge to use it sooner rather than later. For some of us MIDI Out will make or break the Profiler Remote as a practical solution, so hopefully a firmware revision that leverages MIDI Out will be released concurrently.

Are you saying that state of the switches(fx switches or rigs changes ) are sended trougt the midi out port? I didnt noticed that.

Probably not. Probably just informational stuff, e.g. LED status, tuner output, etc. to provide user feedback on the FCB or LiquidFoot. And bear in mind that this is all transmitted according to a pretty complex SysEx spec that the respective firmwares have to be programmed to understand. Your typical outboard gear isn't going to be able to parse any of that, unless you put a computer in between and do some programming of your own. Ultimately, the KPA firmware needs to have options to map Profiler Remote and/or Expression Pedal events to simple things like CC and PC messages.

• Hopefully this will be a nudge to use it sooner rather than later. For some of us MIDI Out will make or break the Profiler Remote as a practical solution, so hopefully a firmware revision that leverages MIDI Out will be released concurrently.

Probably not. Probably just informational stuff, e.g. LED status, tuner output, etc. to provide user feedback on the FCB or LiquidFoot. And bear in mind that this is all transmitted according to a pretty complex SysEx spec that the respective firmwares have to be programmed to understand. Your typical outboard gear isn't going to be able to parse any of that, unless you put a computer in between and do some programming of your own. Ultimately, the KPA firmware needs to have options to map Profiler Remote and/or Expression Pedal events to simple things like CC and PC messages.

Please undestand that my MIDI monitor shows NULL activity at MIDI OUT of the KEMPER - so there are two possibilities:
    1. I Have broken PC MIDI Interface
    2. MIDI OUT of the KPA are not sending any information to the PC at all(including sys ex)

Please undestand that my MIDI monitor shows NULL activity at MIDI OUT of the KEMPER - so there are two possibilities:
    1. I Have broken PC MIDI Interface
    2. MIDI OUT of the KPA are not sending any information to the PC at all(including sys ex)

Oh, I see. That is weird. Are you running a Uno4Kemper or LiquidFoot with KPA ROM with the PC inline? Based on what I read in the MIDI spec. the floorboard's firmware has to request (via SysEx messages) that the information be sent back through the KPA MIDI Out. (Changing rigs on the face of the KPA itself, for example, won't result in any MIDI output.)

• It doesn't send anything unless a footcontroller registers for bidirectional communication.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

I think they wouldn't have put the MIDI OUT connector on the Kemper if there was not a plan to eventually use it for something.

That sounds exactly right. Midi thru has worked since day 1, and I feel pretty certain midi out will be a feature in the 3.0 firmware, to go with the release of the Remote. We shall see pretty soon. Hurry NAMM! 8o

• That sounds exactly right. Midi thru has worked since day 1, and I feel pretty certain midi out will be a feature in the 3.0 firmware, to go with the release of the Remote. We shall see pretty soon. Hurry NAMM! 8o

Hmm - I was more under the impression that the KFC will use a proprietary protocol and will connect through the rj45 port.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• Yes, the Kemper Remote uses the RJ45 port. But, Performance Mode automatically assigns MIDI PC numbers to Performance Slots. So, it seems to me like these MIDI PC numbers could be echoed to the MIDI OUT (speculation, but, it sounds like a really useful function).

Seems like this is a reasonable expectation. Boy, clock would be so nice, though.