Is There a List of Which Effects in the KPA are Stereo Effects?

• Sort of bracing for "Stupid Question Backlash" with this one, but it would be great to know which effects specifically require a stereo output to get their full effect.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing Stereo Widener is one, plus some chorus effects (but which ones?), other modulation effects like tremolo/pan, etc.

I'd like to know this because I'm still undecided about stereo out vs mono out for recording, and if most of the time stereo would be unnecessary and literally redundant, I'd rather just use mono.

Thanks, everyone.

• Time-based rhythm effects on guitar parts can be an exception to the "always record dry and in mono" idea, if they are part of how the part is actually played, and an integral part of the sound.

But, like you already prefer, recording guitars in mono, and without effects, is preferable, unless there is a stereo effect that you are absolutely positive you will be using in the final mix of the song AND that the effect depth will be correct for the final mix.

• Time-based rhythm effects on guitar parts can be an exception to the "always record dry and in mono" idea, if they are part of how the part is actually played, and an integral part of the sound.

But, like you already prefer, recording guitars in mono, and without effects, is preferable, unless there is a stereo effect that you are absolutely positive you will be using in the final mix of the song AND that the effect depth will be correct for the final mix.

Thanks, Paults. I don't want to record my guitar parts dry; I love the effects in the Kemper and want to record with them. I even prefer to record with delay and/or reverb as opposed to adding those in later.

I'd just really like to know which effects are stereo effects.

• The "Reference Manual" provides details about stereo FX, but not in list form.

When you do not have the Kemper set up for MONO Output:

Reverb is stereo.

Delays are stereo (if you offset the times)

When placed in the X or MOD slots, these are stereo:
    Chorus effects
    Pitch effects
    Rotary speaker
    Tremolo/Auto Panner
    Phaser
    Flanger
    Stereo Widener
    Space

Also,when placed in the X or MOD slots, you can make normally mono FX become stereo :

"The “Stereo” parameter is only available for the X and MOD modules in the EFFECTS section. It controls the stereo intensity of these effects. With modulation effects this is done by offsetting the LFO modulation phases of the left and right side. For other effects parameters, such as filters, frequencies are shifted in opposite directions for the left and right sides. That way, even the Wah Wah can create a stereo effect, when dialed up in the effects section!
    The recommended value for most effects is +50% (or +90°), which will often produce the nicest stereo image. At the middle zero position the effect will be fully mono. With negative values you will get the same stereo effects as with positive values, but the left and right sides are reversed. With extreme settings of the stereo parameter, you can exaggerate the stereo width."

• Thank you, paults, so very much for such a detailed and thorough reply. I truly appreciate it.

So basically if I have a flanger in the X or MOD slot, I can set the STEREO parameter to 0 and then can hear and record with an accurate representation of the sound in Mono. I actually never would have thought of that, and I definitely wouldn't have found a list of the stereo effects without your help.

Cheers!

• You're welcome :)

If you use the MONITOR Out, or just one of the MAIN Outs, you will get a mono signal, too.

I don't use the Monitor Out (I have to do everything through headphones so, while recording, I monitor through my digital multitrack). I have been using the L & R outs of the Master Output section. Now I'm going to go back to using just the Left output, which carries a mono signal as you said.

Thanks again!