DI Profiling - looking for a totally transparent / no-filtering / no cab-simming DI ...... suggestions ?

• Hi all !

Re: DI Profiling Your Amp " Post-Power-Amp-Pre-Speaker "

Once my KPA arrives [ still a few days away ] I will load up 2.8x and start doing some DI profiling of my amps.

Given 2.8x beta is already here - and 3.0 will further improve this feature, can I please ask for a DI recommendation.

=> the Radial JDX ( ~$200 ) and the Palmer PDI-09 ( ~$200 ) both have non-bypassable cab simming or filtering [ so for both, the DI signal is colored ]

=> ironically, the much cheaper Behringer ( $50 ) Ultra G100 does have by-passable cab simming [ no coloring of the DI signal ]

As I don't know much about these sorts of DI's Im wondering:-

=> would there be any sonic-audio-profiling-quailty issues re: Profiling with a transparent DI like the "cheap" Behringer DI [ Ultra G100 ] " unit ?

=> anyone here know of any other alternative DI for this purpose that is totally cab / filter free ?

Any thoughts / suggestions / ideas ?

Thanks again,
    Ben

• Thanks HappyKemper & Troy_e & others

Great to know this about the Behringer Ultra G100.

What was really surprising to me is that:

Re: the Radial JDX -> http://www.radialeng.com/jdx.php -> " ....... The signal is then processed via a carefully designed multi-stage filter to emulate the tone of a 4x12 half stack cabinet ....... "

Re: the Palmer PDI-09 -> http://www.palmergear.com/images/manuals/pdi09.pdf -> " ........ The NORMAL setting achieves the linear response characteristics similar to that of an open “2x12”cabinet. The MELLOW setting would produce a speaker sound much like that of the vintageAmerican speakers that tend to deliver a warmer, softer sound. Us the BRIGHT setting if you want themore crunchy, aggressive sound associated with a typical British speaker. ...... "

Why the manufacturers [ Radial and Palmer ] don't just put a simple " full tonal bypass " switch on each of these units ...... yet Behringer does .... well ......... I doubt it would add anything to the cost of manufacturing ..... and even if it did add a miniscule amount, it is actually a really good selling feature which would attract more buyers ...... go figure !!!

Many thanks again.

Ben

• Hi MirekGR10

Really great to have another option - the website states:-

" ......... The Zdirects audio transformer has an extremely flat and wide frequency response [ 10Hz –50kHz, +/-.5dB @ +4dBu ]and can handle high signal levels while still maintaining an isolated balanced low impedance output. This gives the Zdirect a very clean and neutral sound ........ a [switchable / bypassable] Bessel filter on the output is placed out of the audio range and is primarily intended to reduce radio frequency interference before it gets into the main system. The filter is also very effective in reducing any digital computer noise artefacts when using the Zdirect as an interface between a computer based audio workstation and your monitors ...... "

Thanks again.

Ben

• Holy guacamole - I just checked locally and it looks like the ART ZDirect is even cheaper than the Behringer ...... amazing.

Out of sheer curiosity I also just checked the [ quoted in the manual ] Frequency Range specs on the Behringer and it states 10k<->160k ... as opposed to 10k <-> 50k for the ART ZDirect ....... had a good chuckle to myself ...... honeslty, I'll probably just grab whichever one is in stock locally.

Gotta love specs from manuals though ..... :)

Ben

• Hi Ben

I'm sorry ,but I can't to debate about technical data ,I don't know what are differencies 10<->160 vs 10<->50.
    If you want try DI Profiles Marshall 6101 I will send you.
    I made with ART Direct Z.
    Check your PM.

Mirek
    sorry bad english.

• Hi Mirek,

did you connect a cab to the Zdirect, when profiling DI? Or is it enough to take down 40db with the attenuator pads? I can't find any answers to that on the internet. I want to profile my Amp at home without the cab, cause it's miles away.

Cheers,

Matt