Remote midi functionality improvements

• OK.

We got some hints regarding the midi functionality on the Remote. We know that it will send PC commands and we got some indications on that it will be the "mighty mother octopus on stage". In my opinion this means that it will have a decent way to control things with PC and CC. But what will it look like?

Here is my dream, and hopefully that will trigger/confirm some ideas for the makers of the Kemper software.

I will use the term "stream". This means a list of custom CC/PC commands on selectable channels.

• Send a stream when you enter a performance, even in without autoload on. This will make it possible to set up other gear pr song for instance backing tracks.
    • Send a stream when you enter a slot in performance mode. This will make it possible to change settings on external devices pr rig and trigger backing tracks pr verse, chorus etc.
    • Make a virtual two state pedal that sends a stream when it goes on and a different when its off. This pedal should be assignable to an effect button. Maybe a "white" colour can indicate virtual stomp boxes? With this you can control functions on other gear.
    • Make a virtual momentary pedal that sends a stream when the button is pushed down and when the button goes up. This pedal should also be possible to assign to an effect button on the Remote.
    • The two virtual pedals could logically be placed in one of the 8 effect slots on the Kemper. So instead of selecting compressor I can select a "midi two state pedal" and configure the stream in the effect edit mode. Then its pretty easy to assign a virtual pedal to the effect buttons on the Remote.
    • Sync virtual stomp boxes, resend the status of a stomp box when the slot/rig is entered, this should be configurable in a global menu or per. performance/rig.
    • Midi clock out, so the internal Kemper tempo can be shared with other devices.

What do you think? Any other thoughts?

I'm really looking forward to see the midi implementation :)

• Ok

So firmware 3.0 was a big disappointment regarding the midi functionality.

The Kemper team implemented some functionality but it will not be enough, unfortunately.

They implemented PC commands on slot events. Why they did not add CC is very strange since you have to choose PC with one of the knobs in "slot settings" to program the midi messages. It seems that this will be fixed in later firmwares...

But I'm really missing the possibility to send messages on other events than entering a slot. For instance: entering a performance, leaving a performance, leaving a slot etc.

If they also add a virtual "midi mouse" in the stomp section it will be perfect! Add a stomp box that only send midi messages that can be assigned to slot A,B,C,D,X. This concept will be perfect!

Since all the hardware is here this feature improvements is only software, it can't be so hard.

BTW: Do someone now if the Remote will resend the PC midi messages if you press the slot button twice?

In the mean time I have to figure a way to program this to do my midi stuff...

[Blocked Image: http://www.midisolutions.com/epp.jpg]

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

• I have the impression that what is available regarding midi functionality is not finished yet.
    Also what's assignable to the pedals seems not finished.

I remember the "Midi Octopus" statement.

Maybe somebody from Kemper can chime in and give a rough roadmap before people complain or buy 3rd party solutions.

• Yesterday I got my Remote and I managed use the Remote to control my backing tracks on my mac.

I made a slot called "Tracks" and set it to send PC1 when I clicked the slot button .

In the mac software MidiPipe I made an applescript with a 4 step sequence:

• First click - Set up song with PC1
    • Second click - Convert PC1 to CC1 to start click track
    • Third click - Convert PC1 to CC2 to que the backing tracks
    • Fourth click - Convert PC1 to CC3 to stop the backing tracks

So if you have a Mac in your setup. MidiPipe is a cool pice of software that can do magical things :)

PS: I think http://www.midiox.com can do the same thing on windows...

• hi little harry,

well done and thanks for sharing the link!
    can you post a little "walk through" in midi pipe or post the applescript code?
    can't find a manual for this little piece of software.

i need to convert pc to cc to trigger the "hit"-button for my voicelive play (cc28).
    thank you!

• hi little harry,

well done and thanks for sharing the link!
    can you post a little "walk through" in midi pipe or post the applescript code?
    can't find a manual for this little piece of software.

i need to convert pc to cc to trigger the "hit"-button for my voicelive play (cc28).
    thank you!

Sure. The documentation is non existing i think...

I did find some threads on google that explain the apple script function.

This is the applescript i wrote:

But if you only need to convert CC to PC i think you can use the "message converter".

This is what you need to do:

• Drag a "midi in" from tools to pipes, select your midi device in the input list.
    • Drag a "message converter" from tools to pipes, select in and out
    • Drag a "midi out" from tools to pipes, select your midi output.

If you want to se whats going on drag an "Alist" into your pipe.

• thank you very much!!
    really appreciate this.
    i'll try both solutions today. :)

• In MIDIPipe, you can also use the Message Factory to generate multiple messages from a single input event. For example you could send a bunch of SysEx when you get a CC message with very specific values, etc.

TIP: if you're having trouble with messages disappearing, make sure you have MIDI Thru checked for each step.