flakey behaviors - kemper freezing

• Using firmware 2.7.4 and the latest version of rig manager, i'm seeing some flakey kemper behavior (windows 8.1)

• On occasion, i'm seeing the UI lock up to the point where I have to shut down and restart the kemper. Have seen this happen twice now with this firmware rev.
    • I've also seen a variation of this where in performance mode, I cannot select a new rig using the type selector. I select the type but it never loads and eventually times out and reverts back to the original rig. Unlike the previous issue, the problem goes away when I unplug the USB cable so it seems as if an operation failed to complete.
    • happened again, this time without being connected to rig manager or the usb cable

Edited once, last by jzucker ().

• Try another USB cable. If that doesn't help, attach the cable to a different USB port on the computer.

Version 2.7.4 has been available for quite awhile, and I don't remember hearing this issue before. Have you just installed 2.7.4, or was everything working with 2.7.4 until now?

if you read the update, the usp cable wasn't attached the last time it happened. I've been running 2.7.4 for a week

• Since you have determined it is not a USB cable issue ;) , I suggest reinstalling v2.7.4:

- download a new 2.7.4 kaos.bin file

-copy the kaos.bin on a FAT32 formatted USB drive. Put the file in the root directory of the drive (not in OS Update folder or any other folder).

-With the KPA turned off, Insert the stick into the profiler.

-Hold both PAGE buttons while you power up the unit into Browse Mode until you see the words "Booting and Burning from USB device" in the display. Once you see this text you can let go off the PAGE buttons and let the process finish.

• I haven't heard of any issues with the firmware corrupting itself so I'm not sure what the point of that would be. I'm an engineer so I tend to think in terms of cause/effect.

• There isn't any Diagnostic Menu in the Kemper that is meant for us to use, as far as I know.

From what I remember, when you updated your KPA, it had an old version of the software in it, and the KPA had to install an interim version before installing 2.7.4. Doing a "force install" of 2.7.4 over itself might correct a previously unidentified USB driver issue specific to updating to 2.7.4 from the specific version that was in your Kemper.

Or, you can do a System Reset, to see if that eliminates the issue. (You would have to re-enter your User information and Serial Number after doing this)
    -Turn on the KPA while pressing the System Button.

Or, you can contact Support. They would likely want you to create a backup file, and send it to them.

• No, I followed the instructions exactly. It's already got 2.7.4 installed. Installing an identical version on top of itself won't do anything.

• No matter if it's computers or any gear with firmware, reinstalling have helped me many times over the years.
    I haven't had any problems with the kemper but with both computers and other gear and I've seen those that have solved things with reinstalling or resetting.
    In your cross post over at thegearpage you wrote.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1541739
    "actually I have not done a full reset since upgrading to 2.7.4 "

I'm sure you will get it sorted out with the given suggestions. Good luck.

• No, I followed the instructions exactly. It's already got 2.7.4 installed. Installing an identical version on top of itself won't do anything.

Actually, firmware sometimes gets corrupted on the Kemper, so it's not really a like-to-like comparison with how computers work. You should try this step out in case your firmware is problematic and hanging like this. I use 2.7.4 and it's pretty much plug and play with the rig librarian.

• Actually, firmware sometimes gets corrupted on the Kemper, so it's not really a like-to-like comparison with how computers work. You should try this step out in case your firmware is problematic and hanging like this. I use 2.7.4 and it's pretty much plug and play with the rig librarian.

Ok, I will reset but I'd like to see something from kemper verifying that the firmware can get corrupt on a running system. You have citations for that?

• Ok, I will reset but I'd like to see something from kemper verifying that the firmware can get corrupt on a running system. You have citations for that?

Just look through some threads where guys are recommended a system reset. Also, as I said, running rig librarian on Windows 8.1 with Kemper 2.7.4 without any issue here.

• did a reset and reflashed the firmware, i'll update the thread to let folks know if I'm still seeing issues. What is the support protocol should I still be experiencing problems?

• did a reset and reflashed the firmware, i'll update the thread to let folks know if I'm still seeing issues. What is the support protocol should I still be experiencing problems?

Create a ticket with support. After that, they'll probably contact you for additional information like your system specs, a backup, etc.