To Kemper team. What about an official refining video tutorial ?

• Hello everyone

There are a lot of good videos about profiling, but not that much about refining. The Kemper manual is Ok about this and WikPA gives a lot of useful extra tips.

I think an official video about showing what to play exactly during refining could be nice. Speaking also about dynamic of the playing, and so on...

I think refining is a crucial step during profiling but always too underestimated and badly mastered. A good video about this could kill also all misunderstandings about this step (eg. myth that the type of guitar change the results for instance).

Your feeling about this ?

• No need..

The Profiling is down to the Kemper, the Refining is down to you, and your ears only, there cant be a manual for this unfortunately.

The guitar used to refine is not important, but setting the amp to match that guitar is.. - what you play is not important either at refine stage, just keep to what the manual says.. strum light/hard with openish strings for 30 secs or so...(use your ears if you need longer) or if something is not right.. re-adjust and try the profile stage again.

I have profiled a few amps before.. and Ive never needed more than 10/15 secs before the sound is a match (slightly more so on previous F/W's) - IF it needed longer then the Profile is no good anyway, and I will adjust and try again. (normally gain staging is the biggest issue I have with profiles not being exact at refining stage)

But really, the refine is DO YOU think its a match or not. Long or Short, Strat or LesPaul, G, or E string, makes no difference.. the refine is simply the icing on the cake after the work has already been carried out.

• I mainly agree with you as we are used to profiling and we have found our "own best efficient way" to refine.

But for a "rookie" profiler, I think the refining part may bring some questions. In this case, a small video could help to find their "own best efficient way" faster.

But I can live easily without it lol

• Agreed....anything that can help people make the best consistent profiles is always good.....for everybody. There have been videos on making specific sounds (Pink Floyd, EVH.. etc.) the root of it all is in the profiling so the more information and examples = very helpful.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• Andy, could you give me an example of problematic gain staging in your rig?
    I'm wondering where the fault could be, i've had some trouble in the past.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Hey Quitty.

Gain Staging is really only useful to problem solve if you are running through a large chain (i.e a studio setup) - this can be problematic due to each device having its own gain stage (min/max) and then going onto the next device, so on and so forth.. a good example of BAD staging is.. running the mic into the pre at a good volume, then hitting say a outboard EQ that the volume is cranked, then onto a compressor that the volume is massively reduced to kill the previous clipping, then onto the desk that has to bring the volume back to normal level again...

You don't have to calibrate your equipment all to 0dbfs to min/max the gain stage, but you need to be aware of what EACH device is hitting on output, so when you daisy-chain a long strip of things together your not overloading/underloading the entire signal.

For a simple setup, then making sure the gain from the amp & mic pre's are at a sensible level, and that the gain on the kemper is close to 0 as it can be (the Return level that is), if it all is, then what you will MONITER will be correct gain staging. and not some abused chain of nastyness.

I would like to point out that a lot of studios don't worry about this.. they just think, what the hell, and it can create all kinds of nasty freq, and will leave hardly any headroom for anything and they wonder why the records sound like shit!... and some studios like to gain stage precisely & accurately that they have floating VU's in every rack, that can sound very sterile.. and some just like to play the Plus & minus game with it (like me) as there never is a perfect sweet spot that's universal!....unfortunately.. but it sounds very musical, and that's the best of the other two in my ears!

So. the basics... to make accurate profiles as possible, make sure the gain return on the kemper is good, the LED light is green, and the Mic Pre's are not dimed..(most good pre's have a LED display to let you know)

Im not sure I really helped your question at all actually, sorry. I was just typing away it seems!...