Can I get some advice on my tone please? :)

• Hey all. I'm just learning more about mixing and stuff, and I'm getting used to the Kemper a lot more and am trying to find the tones that I want within the Kemper when recording with it.

I've got this upbeat, melodic guide track that I've thrown together just to work on the tones that I want.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm generally happy with the clean tone, which I've complimented with a tremolo and some reverb, but I want you guys to tell me what you think of the overdriven guitars from 2:30. It's a TAF Bassman profile cranked with a Green Scream OD, using a Fender Custom Shop Strat 59. I've double tracked the guitars and panned them left and right. I like the tone, but I think it might not be big enough or something, or maybe it's a bit muffled or something. I feel I want something a bit more in your face. There's no EQing or compression done post tracking, it's just Kemper into a Scarlett 18i8 into Logic Pro X, bounced and uploaded.

As an example, something with the in your face nature of this Jack White track, there's a lot more clarity than is evident in my distorted guitars, which sound more muffled. Would you assume that they are tracked multiple times?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

What do you think? Any advice? Thanks. :)

P.S - I know there's a few timing and tracking issues, but I recorded it in order to hear the Kempers tones in a mix that I made, as practice. Bear this in mind! Thanks again.

Edited 5 times, last by PhilUK84 ().

• Maybe try using a Treble Booster instead of or in addition to the Green Screamer or try adjusting the definition in the amp section to get more bite(?) to the sound. Sounds like the Green Screamer combined with that Bassman is just too mellow a combination for what you're after in the mix.

• Cochrane at The Recording Revolution has some good tips on guitars. Here is an example, and you can search his site for more:
    http://therecordingrevolution.…ix-iii-the-center-guitar/

One idea is to create 3 duplicates of your guitar tracks. Pan one left, take out the top end (shelf the high spectrum above 8k and perhaps some bass end below 100 Hz) and boost a pleasant signal in the mid-low end, say around 400 Hz, a few dB.
    Pan one right and take out the bottom end (shelf) and also find a pleasant frequency there with a very tight band and boost it a few dB.
    Take the third one, dead center, take out some of the top and bottom end, but not enough to make it sound bad, the compress the hell out of it.

The guitar should now jump out at your face and take a bite out of your nose. Of course this is a rough guide and you need to mix smart. But Cochrane's got lots of tips to try, most for free.

• Okay thanks. It's something to keep in mind and look back at as what you said is still gobbledegook to me haha!

Well just try a center panned guitar with lots of compression, but cut some bass first with an EQ lower than say 80-100Hz so it doesn't compete with the Bass and Kick. Just adjust it until you can hear the effect of the cut, then ease it back. Then compress it until you can hear it squish, then ease it back. Put into the center of your mix, that should stand very forward.

Where in the mix is it, and what plugins have you used on it?

• I understand what you say, about making a tone work for you whatever you get as it forces you to work learn and use your skills, but I feel much more comfortable not worrying about the tone and reamping when I've got the technique right. As I learn more about it all I will be more confident with the tone. I will keep it in mind.

Right now what I'm doing is trying to see what kind of tones I can get, and how to get them. This is not a final recording, it's just testing and learning. :)

• Yes, you're right, thanks. What do you think about the tone?

I think that it might be a bit too overdriven to get the clarity and punch I'm looking for.

In addition to turning down the gain a little, I have found that to get a little more clarity and punch, you might try turning up the definition setting on the profile (in the Amplifier section) if you haven't already, as well as turning up the direct signal mix. This puts more of your base tone through and helps to clear it up. You may have tried this, but if not, play with it a little. Good luck on your tone chase!

• I'll play around with the definition, thanks! What do you mean by the direct signal mix?

And just out of interest, would you guys keep the DI track in the mix or mute it? (Maybe this is what you meant)

• I'll play around with the definition, thanks! What do you mean by the direct signal mix?

And just out of interest, would you guys keep the DI track in the mix or mute it? (Maybe this is what you meant)

There are several different parameters in the amp section one of them is called 'direct mix'

Here is what I am talking about (it is an option in the amplifier menu):

Direct Mix With “Direct Mix” you can open up a parallel path to the amplifier distortion and mix a clean portion of the guitar to the distorted sound. This will add some dynamics and attack to the sound, as well as adding some of the frequency content of the clean guitar. Similar results were formally achieved by running the guitar through a clean and a distorted amplifier in parallel (dual amping). Now, it’s done with a twist of a knob. “Direct Mix” controls the volume of the clean portion.

These are the other menu items you can adjust when you press and hold the amplifier button. (page left and right for more options):

Here is the section from the reference manual (page 47 on)

Amplifier The AMPLIFIER button calls up a list of parameters that allow you to change the character of the profiled amplifier in numerous ways using the soft knobs. 

Definition The “Definition” parameter controls the characteristic fingerprint of the preamp. The profiling process automatically sets “Definition” to a value that represents the reference amp. You could, for example, use it to modernize the Profile of a vintage amp without having to use additional stomps. Alternatively, start with a Profile of a modern tube amp, and use “Definition” to give it a more vintage sound when driven into distortion. You can also use “Definition” to align the sound of your guitar to the sound of your amp, if required. Don’t be afraid to keep experimenting until you get the balance that sounds best to you. Vintage amps distort the lower harmonics in the guitar signal which gives them their bluesy sound. These amps were originally designed to deliver a clean sound, so to achieve a creamy distortion, these amps need to be driven by a typical transistor-based device like a treble booster. Modern tube amps use a different approach, in which the higher overtones of the guitar strings are the driving force for the distorted sound. The expensive boutique amps take this concept one step further, by providing an extreme level of top-end frequencies and a large dynamic range. The distortion has a sparkling quality to it, and preserves every nuance of the strings and pickups. Together with the characteristics of the actual speaker, the individual distortion behavior creates the fingerprint that identifies the amplifier. Stack Section 48 

Power Sagging “Power Sagging” models the interaction between the guitar signal and the distortion stage. Increase the amount of “ Power Sagging” to emphasize the velocity and energy of crunch sounds. The guitar sound gains additional energy and presence, without raising the perceived volume of the distorted signal. When you turn “Power Sagging” beyond 50%, you go beyond what can be achieved with an analog tube amp, but without losing any of the natural characteristics of the sound. At full force, “Power Sagging” can make sparkling clean notes sound louder than distorted ones, so you can use it to expand the dynamic range of the original sound. With “Power Sagging” set to 0%, the original dynamic range of the Profile is maintained. Power sagging is a phenomenon that occurs when the tubes draw a lot of electric power at high distortion rates, thereby weakening the supply voltage. Under such load, the tubes will change their distortion characteristics and sort of shut down; then as soon as the load lessens, the tubes catch their breath again. What might at first seem like a technical limitation of the tube amp design has turned out to be a real benefit for the musical expressivity of the guitarist. The Profiler masters this technical behavior without degrading or changing the basic character of the amp model whatsoever.  The amplifier interacts with the guitarist and reacts to the plectrum and fingers with the highest possible sensitivity.  The guitar sound gains extra energy and presence, without raising the perceived volume of the distorted signal.  Muted picking gives better results than usual, as the plectrum will not be suppressed.  The realms of clean and distorted sounds move closer together, causing the velocity and energy of the crunch sounds to grow. The amp doesn’t just distort everything mercilessly - instead, all of the fine nuances are represented faithfully. The overall sound becomes much more alive, with more punch and juice. It almost sounds as if a compressor has been switched off, thereby allowing the guitar to establish itself a lot easier among the other instruments on stage, such as the drums or bass. As the dynamic range of an analog tube amp is limited by the laws of physics, power sagging can only go to a certain level before the breakdown of supply voltage destroys the beauty of the distortion characteristics. The Profiler allows for a much wider dynamic range, while preserving the character of the tubes at the same time. Turning down the volume knob on the guitar results in a very natural, clean sound with full dynamics and lots of energy. Power sagging cannot be reproduced using a conventional compressor, but it can be further enhanced with the dedicated compressor circuit. The breathing of the tubes becomes most apparent with dynamically played, semi- Stack Section 49 distorted or so called crunch sounds. With fully distorted sounds the tubes are always under full load, while clean sounds don’t put any load on the tubes at all. With sounds such as these, “Power Sagging” has only a minor effect. 

Pick The “Pick” parameter allows you to control the level and sharpness of the pick attack independently from the sustained portion of the sound. The result is also independent from the amount of distortion. You can use this parameter to make clean sounds even more percussive without having to use a compressor. With fully distorted sounds, you can revive the attack phase of any notes that get drowned in the natural compression caused by distortion. If you set “Pick” to a negative value, it will soften the attack, resulting in a more fluid sound. 

Compressor This “Compressor” parameter is different from the stomp compressor, because it is a part of the simulated amp circuit. In other words, it allows for completely different sounds compared to compressors that are inserted before (pre) or after (post) the Amp Module. Distorted signals are not affected by compression, so only clean signals will be boosted. The dynamics of your playing are fully retained, so, purely by the strength of your picking, you can go from a crunchy sound to a compressed, clean sound. The volume knob on your guitar works exactly as you would expect: for instance, reducing the volume of your guitar will transform a dynamic crunch into a clean, compressed sound with full energy. 

Clarity “Clarity” changes the sound of the distortion in a new and unique way. Turning the “Clarity” soft knob to the right will bring the clean character of the sound into focus without lowering the amount of distortion. The distortion itself will become less forward in the mid frequencies and sound far more transparent. Stack Section 50  Tube Shape “Tube Shape” controls the distortion characteristics of the tubes, ranging from very soft to very hard. All kinds of crunch sounds can be dialed up - from warm blues, to singing metallic, to harsh. Depending on the gain setting or the playing style, the resulting effect can be rather subtle; completely distorted sounds are mostly unaffected by this parameter, as are clean sounds. Set the value to 3 to simulate the typical sound of preamp tubes. To achieve a power-amp tube-character, try setting “Tube Shape” to around 9. Power amp tubes produce a much harder distortion, because the negative feedback in the power amp circuit linearizes the tube amplification, making the distortion curve edgier. 

Tube Bias “Tube Bias” influences the overtone structure of the distortion. While the effect on the character of the sound is fairly subtle, you should feel a quite a difference in the distortion dynamics: as you increase the amount of “Tube Bias” the guitar will go into distortion much earlier in the dynamic range, yet still retain a lot of dynamic headroom. At maximum value the distortion characteristics mimic those of a Tube Screamer. 

Direct Mix With “Direct Mix” you can open up a parallel path to the amplifier distortion and mix a clean portion of the guitar to the distorted sound. This will add some dynamics and attack to the sound, as well as adding some of the frequency content of the clean guitar. Similar results were formally achieved by running the guitar through a clean and a distorted amplifier in parallel (dual amping). Now, it’s done with a twist of a knob. “Direct Mix” controls the volume of the clean portion.

• You're welcome. There are a TON of options inside this thing. One of the best things is, you don't usually need to touch any of these to get a great sound, but they are there if you want them. I think I tend to like the profiles to have a little more definition, so I tweak that sometimes.