Gus Drax Profile

• Wow - well call me lazy, so far I've just been taking stock profiles and playing with the gain / definition / clarity / eq (mainly) using most of them with minimal reverb and delay as a stomp.

Will be fascinating (and time consuming) to see how the cabs impact things.

So, have people listed out anywhere what different cabs do to rigs? Eg cab A makes sounds more bassy / smoother / coarser etc?

What's the most effective way to swap cabs.....do you have to load a profile, hit the cabinet button and then browse different cabs? Or is there an easier way using rig manager? And what's the difference between that and the stack button (not in front of the Kemper).

Also, I forget, how do I change button behaviour so that a single touch changes things rather than the default I have of having to hold the button for a second or so before it becomes active?

Sorry for all the questions!

Cheers,
    Andy

PS - not sure what I'm doing wrong, but when browsing different profiles it seems hit and miss when the profile you 'land' on loads even though I have the option selected for auto-load......and not very confident when browsing between effects....not very intuitive for me for some reason....

• Andy, I'd definitely suggest you to read the two manuals... do not take it wrong, you seem to often cast away among buttons and procedures... you can't go on like this! :D
    There's nothing intuitive about how a device works, you have to learn it.

Also, I've never seen anything like a "this cab does this" document, it's a matter of experience and knowledge to know how a V30 or a Scorpion sound like. Ever seen a doc listing how the different thousand guitars in the world sound? ;)

Yes, when the Cab section has got the focus you can "Browse through cabs" if you have any saved, or "through rigs". It's in the manual.

• Thanks Gianfranco....no offence taken, I've managed to have some amazing sounds just doing basic tweaks on my Kemper but I will defnitely re-read the manuals.... I'll also play with the cabs.....this Gus Drax profile has definitely woken me up to the impact of cabs.....of course I knew the same thing with different cabs I use at home....but mainly comparing different 2 x 12 cabs and my 4 x 10.....

Lots more things for me to learn....

Cheers,
    Andy :)

• Hmm...reading and failing.....

Firmware 3.0.1 - I don't find an option to enable Direct Edit in the System menu.

Cabs - when I browse - whether presets, or From Rigs.....I don't find the cab in the current profile.....eg BF412F from the Gus Drax example above....

Struggling :(

• Can anyone explain how this was created? It uses a DJEMASS Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ as its profile but has a different cab. It sounds totally different to the DJEMASS profiles....much smoother and clearer.

That's strange - all i get is a noisy mass of distorted junk when I load up this profile. Yes it sound totally different than the Djemass profile - totally un-listenable and unusable! Anyone else get this?

Gary ô¿ô

• I tryed it. Not my favorit. Maybe someone without ears tweak and uploaded it. Tips: Cabinet vol is on 1,4dB. Set it to 0 or less. Volume is setted to +2,3dB. Set it to 0.
    A little more Noise Gate. The Gain is on 8,6. I cant understand why there is a Green scream setted when the gain is so high. This brings much noise. Switch it off and tweak the EQ a little. Sounds much better. But anyway, the rig is not my cup of tea. I have deleted it.

• I tryed it. Not my favorit. Maybe someone without ears tweak and uploaded it. Tips: Cabinet vol is on 1,4dB. Set it to 0 or less. Volume is setted to +2,3dB. Set it to 0.
    A little more Noise Gate. The Gain is on 8,6. I cant understand why there is a Green scream setted when the gain is so high. This brings much noise. Switch it off and tweak the EQ a little. Sounds much better. But anyway, the rig is not my cup of tea. I have deleted it.

100% correct observation and I second this. This rig is only made for SCREAMING AT YOU with all the volumes set much too high + way too much gain in summary.

• much smoother and clearer.

What?? much smoother and clearer than...than what... Blue Cheer on a barge in San Fransisco Harbor recording Summertime Blues perhaps? Don't get that comment at all. ... That sound is just nasty.

It's deleted for sure.

Gary ô¿ô

• Ah guys.....the majority of profiles fail to work for me as they are.....I knocked the gain back and tweaked a variety of things.....I usually take all stomps off...

My current fixation is that some high gain profiles are just a bit nasal for me....and in a band context they don't always break through in the way I want. With the Gus Drax one....having tweaked it, it was much clearer than others....not as nasal....and less fizzy than your typical Mesa Profile.

Don't get me wrong, for rhythm, I much prefer the other djemass profiles.

Incidentally, I thought I'd got a couple of great tubey crunch tones with the Slash Tone as a staring point and with the TAF JCM800 profiles....but through my DXR10 they were flubby and unpleasant.....this tone quest can be hard work sometimes :)

PS - happy to upload a link to a couple of lives performances if anyone would like proof that I don't just have an ear for nasty tones :)

• My current fixation is that some high gain profiles are just a bit nasal for me....and in a band context they don't always break through in the way I want. With the Gus Drax one....having tweaked it, it was much clearer than others....not as nasal....and less fizzy than your typical Mesa Profile.

Mesa's are nasal :)

Before I get jumped on by the Mesa lovers, I've got two ^^

The default Mesa eq preset "V" doesn't work for me neither in a band context. Increasing Bass & Treble and cutting Mids = lost in mix. More Mids works OK for me.

Steve