Direct out??

• What is direct out? (Direct out profile)

Is that the same as D.I, So just the pre amp and power amp have been profiled but not the cab?

Can a direct out profile be mixed with a cab in the kemper cab menu?

Looking at buying the sinmix direct out pack to use through a poweramp and standard cab and also through a cab sim to front of house.

Please can someone explain merged profiles as well. I kind of get the rough idea but not fully. ?(

• The nomenclature goes like this:
    D.I. profile is a preamp profile.
    Direct Amp profile is the poweramp without the cab.
    Studio profile is the whole chain incl. the cab.
    A merged Profile is a 3.0 profile where direct amp and cab profile were separated correctly and merged to a studio profile later.
    A merged profile should sound the same as a studio profile (which cannot be completely separated in direct amp and cab, only estimated (=cabdriver pre 3.0) ).

• The nomenclature goes like this:
    D.I. profile is a preamp profile.
    Direct Amp profile is the poweramp without the cab.
    Studio profile is the whole chain incl. the cab.
    A merged Profile is a 3.0 profile where direct amp and cab profile were separated correctly and merged to a studio profile later.
    A merged profile should sound the same as a studio profile (which cannot be completely separated in direct amp and cab, only estimated (=cabdriver pre 3.0) ).

Nice and precise. The "cab profile" mentioned here is the cab portion as saved for each studio profile, correct?

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Thanks for your help. :thumbup:

So the best profile to use with a power amp and real cab would be a pre amp profile (D.I)?

But then if I'm going the power amp and real cab route but cab sim on going to front of house then direct out profile would be best? (so the profile works with or without a cab sim/cab profile)

The clearest way to make your own studio profile would be to use a merged profile or a direct out profile and change the cab. Clearest cab being from another Merged profile or a cab pack/Sim.

When I've swapped cabs and pressed the merge button I've found they don't sound as good as before I've pressed the merge button. Is it a normal thing to do selecting a merge profile, changing the cab but not engaging the merge button.

Also is a cab sim the same as a cab profile? But IR not profiled as part of a rig?

Sorry for all the questions.

• No - a "Direct Amp Profile" is the one to use with a solid state poweramp and cabinet.

A Merged Profile (Studio + Direct Amp) is how to send the studio profile to the PA, and use a poweramp + guitar cab onstage.

The clearest way to make your own studio profile is to mic your cabinet, and make the studio profile.

If you add a cabinet from another already merged profile, the merge button does not need to be pressed again. Just save the profile.

Cab/Speaker Sim:
    Devices such as the Palmer PDI-09 apply a filter or EQ curve that mimics the sound of a guitar speaker to the full range output coming off your amp speaker out. This processed signal can then be sent to a PA or recording setup. Devices like this can work well, but you are usually stuck with one or two preset EQ curves, and the filter doesn’t replicate many of the complex factors that come into play when mic’ing a speaker—the thump of the cabinet, the airiness, or early reflections.

The Cabinet Section of a Merged Rig is similar to an IR - similar enough that Kemper offers a free program that converts IR files to Kemper Cabinets.