It's probably me but...

• I took the Kemper into the studio to replace a bass line I'd recorded at home (also thru the Kemper) because I wasn't satisfied tonewise
    and figured I needed to tweak the sound in a bigger room.
    I found it quite difficult to get a decent bass sound at all, I used a couple of the Ampeg profiles and quite a few other bass amps but they all sounded a bit too
    middly and toppy despite fiddling with eq and even changing cabs.
    In the end I gave up and went direct in to the desk and a compressor and ended up with more what I was after that way.
    The guitar is a Fender Jag bass and I'm no bass player:)
    Obviously it's all subjective, but any tips/favourite rigs people are using?
    The type of music is indie pop I suppose.

Ta,
    Mike

• For metal tones, I'm using the (commercial) Darkglass profiles from theblackstymphalian.
    Obviously, the driven tones are not what you are after, but I usually track an overdriven bass tone and then just set the gain of the profile to zero, add some compression to the profile and record this clean tone again for the chunk.

It's always hard to understand what you are getting and what you want without any samples.
    Maybe you could provide us with the Kemper bass tracks you weren't satisfied with and also upload the tracks you did DI w/ compressor so we can hear what you are shooting for.

• Hey SpottyDog.. Dont feel bad, 90% of the time DI bass is the way to go. - the capture of the amp is only (mostly) supplementary as a blend thing at mixdown. so this is totally normal.

Live its different and you would want that gutsy sound of a bass cone, so you'd need to find something that works for you in the room.
    Little tip for you.

Load the bass "sound" you sort of like the best, then use Direct Mix to bring in the DI a little, having a mix you can create of both BassAmp+D is a great combination, and it might be exactly the thing you looking for.

Also, add a bit of compression (from the AMP button, not stomp)

Good Luck

• Thanks guys.
    Here's a couple of bars of bass and drums from the track, DI'd and |KPA.
    Any advice welcomed.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.