Atomic CLR Active Wedge [ + KPA ] .....it has WHEELS !!! .... Wooo Hooo .....

• Hi all

Following up my other thread, the Atomic CLR Active Wedge am using next week for my shows got brought over to my place earlier today.

All good - as I recalled, the KPA loves it :)

Alex kindling brought it in to my studio for me - when he left I moved it to another room and I remembered - this this is REALLY HEAVY ..... DAMN !!!! :)

I was later speaking with Alex and joked about how heavy it is and out of the blue, he said .... " just put some wheels on it - Ive been meaning to but never got around to it "

I've put wheels on every box and amp Ive ever owned, but for some reason, given its not my unit and its a CLR [ :) ] Im doubting myself ...

So ..... to what is probably the dumbest question ever here .......

-> he has asked me to put 4 small'ish wheels on the flat side where the pole mount is ...... is there anything structurally / internally I need to be careful about ?

Thanks
    Ben

• Why not ask the question to AA's customer support? :)

You might also try and remove the grill, critical parts should become visible.
    The rubber feet are already screwed in, so if the worse came to the worst it would be a matter of not using screws that entered the unit more than the ones in use (since you'd swap feet for wheels IIGYR :D ).

• Well given my %100 lack of desire to go to the gym ...... ha ha .... :)

As suggested, I took the floor pads off that were on the pole-cup side - screws were ~18mm long..... went to the hardware store .... got 4 wheels + a pack of 20mm wood screws .... and all done :)

See pics ..... the black screw is the original floor pad screw from the CLR and the galvanized [chrome] screw is the one for the wheels.

Man it makes moving it around SOOOOOO much easier

[Blocked Image: http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p482/gtrotunno/1_zpslzpgbylg.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p482/gtrotunno/3_zps6aguysoz.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p482/gtrotunno/2_zpsu6mqx4gs.jpg]

Its only a really small thing but it makes lugging it around infinitly better for my back and neck.

Ben

PS:- Sorryabout the image size ..... not really sure how to make them smaller ... :(

• Excellent! Very practical adjustment.

I've never seen wheels on a CLR before, but you did a great job.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• Great :)
    So you didn't just replace the original screw, you basically screwed 4 new ones around the original hole, didn't you? Is the MDF holding properly, or does it get crumbled?

• Hey all

Not sure what the CLR is made of but I can say that I have a very powerful cordless drill that was fully charged and as I was drilling in these 20mm screws it was slowing down big-time !!

The wheels ain't going anywhere. :) ....... other than where I push them ... ha ha

Each wheel has 4 pre-drilled screw holes in its steel base-plate so once you center the wheel baseplate over the existing pad-screw-hole, the 4 new screws that hold each wheel in place aren't anywhere near the pad-screw-hole.

Seriously, it was like screwing into very dense hardwood ........ from memory, I *think* the CLR is made of something like void-free-birch-ply-laminate ..... it certainly felt like something like that when I was fitting the wheels :)

Ben

• Out of curiosity I just checked the CLR site.

" ..... 12-ply marine grade, plywood cabinet .... "

No wonder it was so dense and hard to screw in to.

If your non-NEO CLR is too heavy for your back / neck .... get 16 x 20mm strong wood screws ... 4 wheels of your choosing ....... remove the 4 pads on the pole-cup side ........ fit your wheels ........ and save your back and neck :)

Having now done this, it really is a total, %100 no brainer.

Ben

• Seriously, it was like screwing into very dense hardwood

Just to add absolutely nothing to discussion and only to alleviate my own OCD :D I just wanted to add that there are wild variations in hardness within both hardwoods and softwoods and you can easily find a softwood which is substantially harder than a hardwood. Having a hardwood-designated wood tells you absolutely nothing about it's hardness apriori. :thumbup:

Phew! Carry on... :saint:

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.