rock around the clock

• A daft request really but. I spend most of my time either songwriting or creating guitar parts for sessions and hardly ever practice these days.
    To remedy this, every so often I'll learn something stupidly hard (for me, anyway) that means I have to update my rusty technique (sometimes even successfully)

Rock Around The Clock is the challenge I've set meself but need a bit of help with the sound.
    A bit of research shows Danny Cedrone played his 1949 Gibson ES-300 with a P-90 pickup through a Gibson BR-1 amp.
    I haven't got a similar guitar unfortunately, his looks great. I have a Gibson Les Paul, a Fender Strat and an Ibanez SuperStrat type thing from the 70's.
    If anyone can suggest a Kemper patch I'd be grateful as I just cant get close enough.
    Thanks,
    Mike

http://www.the-jime.dk/Rockabi…Around_the_Clock_Solo.htm

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Not too low brow at all :) I think the answer might just be too simple - use your Les Paul, and just about ANY vintage Gibson or Fender amp rig. Or, you may find something you really like in the "Vintage Sound Project" Rig Pack. That sound is more about playing dynamics than a specific amplifier, I think. The Les Paul has a bit more more sustain than a hollowbody, and a different kind of attack, so it will sound a little different no matter what you choose.

• Hey Spotty ...what a great solo it is to (I learnt it a while back and love playing it in the middle a jump blues song or something...)
    there's a few old gibson and gretsch amps available I think but to be honest I think it's probably the guitar and the actual playing style that make the sound more than the amp ..try a fender or something and pick a little closer to the bridge ?
    Have fun learning :)

• Hey Spotty ...what a great solo it is to (I learnt it a while back and love playing it in the middle a jump blues song or something...)
    there's a few old gibson and gretsch amps available I think but to be honest I think it's probably the guitar and the actual playing style that make the sound more than the amp ..try a fender or something and pick a little closer to the bridge ?
    Have fun learning :)

Agreed with the above. The biggest component of the solo tone is a true hollowbody guitar (you can hear it in the thunk in the low notes and the attack on the other notes). If your Gibson type guitars have hot pickups, I don't think you can get really close to that cleanliness in the tone.

There's also a few Silvertone amp profiles on Rig Exchange that might get close if you can get them clean enough, as well as a bunch of tweed Fender amps. But the big secret is in the hollow body of the guitar.

• I think you could get pretty close to that sound with a Les Paul. Neck pickup with the tone backed off and a fairly dirty Tweed champ or Princeton. It's a fairly dirty sound if you listen to the chords he's playing throughout the track.