Muffled/Dull?

• I recently got a Kemper amp to try out and I have been trying to use profiles to match some recorded amp sounds I have but every thing I try is still much more dull and muffled than the originals. I've tried a bunch of the online profiles as well as a bunch of the m britt profiles that were on it. Anyone have a similar problem when they were learning how to use the profiles?

Here's a clip (amp first, then kemper)

https://soundcloud.com/westheobald/kemper/s-vvbzK

Thanks!

• Hi, and welcome to the forum.
    Firstly, I'd check the Output/Master EQ, (Press and hold Output) then scroll along. - chances are the last user might have had it set that way.

The clip your comparing too, is that (I assume) after you profiled the amp? or if that's the source amp your trying to match from Kemper profiles then I hate to be the one to break it to you,

You wont ever get the same, Kemper is not a sim, its a "profiler" it profiles the complete chain of recording from A to B and everything inbetween. - so your now faced with unlimited variables to match the tone.

Really EQ is your friend here... that and a bit of patience...or of course, you can always profile the amp sound you have that you like.

Good luck.

• Hi guys I have been having a similar issue in terms of running my powered rack through a live cab, I put the sound down to the characteristics of the cab I have been using , Bugera 2 x 12, I have just used the EQ functions to modify the sound, but I'm sure that a little something gets Lost, I've turned off the cab sim within the settings on the outputs is there anything else I should know ?, pretty new to this, and I've had some success, but struggling with this a little, also the issue of consistency of volume across different profiles in the performance section, using the foot controller, although I'm sure it said in the manual that all profiles we're matched to avoid this, is that just a trial and error thing too..?

• Yes. Having the right cabinet makes a big difference. The wrong cabinet can make many profiles sound dull/muffled. One thing that I've started doing is to always demo/program new profiles through my studio monitors at home. This way, I know they sound good for recording, and through the FOH Pa system when playing live. If they don't sound good through my stage cabinet, then I know the issue is with the cabinet/amp setup, not the profiles.

Another thing you can try is to load up one of the dull/muffled profiles, and scroll through other cabinets til you find the right one that works with your stage setup. I did this when I first started using my KPA, and got some great results, but you do lose some of the character of the original amp. You also then have to check this through you FRFR monitors, to ensure they sound good through the PA system.