Profiling EQ

• When in Profiling-Mode just before profiling you get an EQ-Section which modifies the return-signal.
    Is this for compensating the sound difference between the real amp sound (i.e. guitar -> real amp -> real cab) and the
    "KPA-buffer driven real Amp sound" (i.e. guitar -> KPA-Input -> KPA-Send out -> real amp input -> real cab) ?

• it's there to optimize the signal you're getting from the mic.

from the manual:
    "A 4-band equalizer is available on this page to shape the signal returning from your reference amp, similar to how you would equalize the microphone signal on a mixing desk, before it is returned. Tweaks of this EQ will be integrated into the resulting Profile."

• Thanx for your quick reply.
    That's what I read also.
    But what means "optimize", does this mean to eq the sound most similar to the real amp sound ?
    When you connect the KPA's buffer (i.e. the KPA-Send-Signal) to the real amp's input, the sound of the real amp changes dramatically (cuts bass and mids and you can also feel it when playing), that happens because the KPA's signal is different compared to a bare guitar sígnal.
    So the Profiling EQ should compensate this (otherwise a different sound would be profiled). But because this EQ is positioned behind the microphone, the returning signal could only be compared to a recorded miced sound of the real amp (without the KPA involved). That's what Peter Weihe tells in his video when he speaks from the KPA's buffered sound.

So it would be much better if this EQ (or better: another EQ) was positioned just before the KPA's send output, because then you could tweak the EQ-settings and maybe an additional volume-level-knob by ear as long as the real amp sounds and feels like usual (when only a guitar is plugged).
    I can hear this subtle effect when I made my first "Direct Amp Profiles" of my Two Rock Amp. I own two identical 2x12" Cabs and compared the KPA's Direct Ampf Profile with the original Amp, and they sounded and felt differently (The KPA misses the super fat lows of the Two Rock Custom Signature Reverb amp when played clean)
    When listening to both sounds miked via the sounddesk they sound really equal (this can be heard in every sound comparison examples of this great forum).
    Maybe I'd better posted in the "feature request forum", should'nt I?

• I think the idea is to use the EQ as you would on a console after the mic (or other outboard gear). The difference of which you speak sounds like something different.

Do you have the chance to record the difference in sound you describe (i.e. before making the profile, and preferably by reamping if you have that option)? What I get from your post is that the signal run through the profiler is changed on its way to the amp, correct? Do you hear the difference AFTER the profile is done?

• Thanks for your reply.
    Maybe I'm too confusing (depends on my English) !

The difference in sound is with the real Amp before profiling, here's my procedure in detail:
    Before I make my (Direct-Amp)Profile, I plug in my guitar into the reference Amp (f.e. Two Rock Amp) and dial in my favourite tone (with no KPA connection)
    Then, by making the connections to the KPA (for Profiling) I effectively loop the Two Rock Amp into the Profiler. But now the just dialed tone of the Two Rock changes !!! (looses some bass and mids and becomes kinda tighter). For me this is explainable because the Input of the Two Rock Amp is now driven by the KPA's send-signal (which is different from the guitar-output-signal) And that now is the tone the KPA will get back during profiling.
    My idea is: If we had the "Profiling-EQ" in the KPA -and maybe additionally a volume-adjust-softknob - virtually located in front of the KPA's send-output (and not in the return path), we could tweak the outcoming sound of the reference Amp - by listening - until it sounds like the original sound.
    The test- and profiling-noises during the profiling-procedure must also been sent through this "prelocated" EQ.
    I will consider how I could record this (I got no studio)

• OK.

I don't know the inner workings. Maybe the difference in tone is due to some kind of issue or glitch with the unit or firmware installation (someone from the company should be able to tell you), or maybe it is compensated for during the profiling process.

Do you find that the difference is still there in the final profile compared to the real amp?

If so, maybe it would be beneficial to tweak the tone of the amp while playing THROUGH the kemper into the amp.

I haven't heard of this issue before, and have no direct experience myself, so only guesswork / blind troubleshooting support here :)

• Ok I see, sorry!
    Of course you can try to compensate, but it would be really time-intensiv to compare tones between "guitar plugged in directly with one setting" and" Kemper-driven with different Poti-setting"s.
    An EQ in the send path could be much easier in handling !