Ridiculous levels of feedback

• I tried turning the Noisegate all up, it helps a lot. I didn't notice any change with clarity, but I might have accidentally tweaked the definition instead. I can get no more than 2 m (6 feet) between the cab and myself. I can try and turn the stomps off next time, and see how that works, maybe angle the cab at a wall or something. I'm not sure how to turn off the inputs/outputs I sort of just assumed the kemper would only have those active that were plugged up....

The problem occurs on all hi-gain profiles. The feedback seems to be melodic/musical but once it's started it won't go away, unless I turn the signal off completely. Muting the strings just change the character of the feedback.

Next time at rehearsal I'm gonna try the Ibanez, I usually use the Fernandes at rehearsal..

• I'm pretty sure it's cycling through the pickups of that guitar, best try to use a different one for rehearsal and stay away from your amp live. I can't get within feet of my amp at almost any volume with my main axe, love the sound of it so I just deal with it.

• That'd be both guitars, sporting different brands of pickups at different ages. My old Randall GH2 was pushed as hard as the Kemper is, volume-wise. It didn't produce uncontrolled feedback. It would scream and howl when the strings were left unmuted, but the second you muted them again it would stop. Unless there's an expiration date on waxpotting, that has been passed on the Bareknuckles and the Blackwinters just didn't have waxpotting I'd still look at the kemper for the problem and solution.

• Fair enough, but if the strings are muted it can't be them. And strings feedback should be the only one taking place. It might well be something else, maybe in the device itself, but this would be quite rare IME
    At any rate, resonaces are frequency-specific. Nothing strange that two different devices exhibit different behaviours, since they have different ampkitude responses. Maybe the Profiler outputs sounds the other amp doesn't?

:)

• Mago, a guitar should not feedback when strings are muted :)

Yup. Four things will make a guitar more prone to feedback:

Volume, Gain, EQ and distance/angle from speaker. More mids are going to feed back. I have controllable feedback at my fingertips playing live with a Kemper - but if I mute my strings, it all goes away because my pickups are potted properly. If you get feedback on a guitar with the strings muted, your pickup windings are actually vibrating - that's what potting takes care of.

When someone says "Amp X never feeds back, but the Kemper does" - then you are either running more volume, more gain, more mids in your EQ or your guitar pickups are pointed more towards the speaker you are listening to your Kemper through or you are closer. Or you are running a compressor as an effect in the kemper. That can do it too.

Pete

• <p>Aaaaaaand it turns out it's the guitar afterall! Fuck...It's my Fernandes Vortex that feeds back. I tried the Ibanez this wednesday. No feedback at all. Was really awesome to be able to play at full throttle again. Need to figure out what to do about the fernandes though...</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>Jacob</p>