Live use

• can anyone help me. I want to use my Kemper as a live rig but when I connect it to my p.a with the cab simulator on it sounds terrible. The overdrive sounds fizzy ant nasty like a really cheap distortion pedal. However, when I plug it into a Marshall 4x12 with the cab sim off (it's the powered KPA) it sounds great. I really don't want to have to lug a cab around with me to gigs as that was the main reason I bought the Kemper, to get my rig as small & light as possible. I have messed around with e.q settings to try to get the e.q as flat as possible but it makes no difference. If I do have to use a cab has anyone had any experience of the Matrix Neolight Cabs?
    My p.a consists of a Presonus studiolive 16.4.2 & Alto active speakers (15" subs & 12" tops) if that makes any difference

• I took the output from the two main outs in to 2 channels on the desk. Surely I want the cab sim left on anyway? When I plugged into the 4x12 I used the speaker output with the cab turned off.I also tried just using the left channel but that made no real difference to the tone.

• Cabs are definitely present & working. When you turn the cab sim on & off it makes a big difference so I know that it's doing something. Im wondering if the Alto p.a speakers are just not suitable. I've been told they are very mid heavy but I did try to compensate for that with the e.q. I'd like to hear it through an frfr speaker but I don't want to spend £500 on an experiment that may not make any difference

• Are you sure the mixer isn't clipping?

Go into the KPAs output settings and reduce the main-outputs by 15dB or so. Even with that setting I end up with very low gain on the input channels on my digital mixer (~4dB as opposed to vocal microphones often set at around 40dB).

• +1 for heldal's advice. It sounds like your are just overdriving the PA. Run a CD or something to make sure you have a good clean signal. I always have them turn down the gain on the mixer and adjust the slider then add some gain...if you have too much the fizz comes in because you are past its capacity to handle the signal. The output in the KPA is the same issue too much will over drive. Alto's are not crap. I've used them for monitors and mains for some youth exchange concerts and the KPA sounds great through them. They were TS112A's. I've also used Ev's and they are both more than adequate to get good results. I would not say that all are created equal, but they are very good especially when you factor the price. Good luck on getting this worked out hopefully this works for you.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• I just had this happen recently to myself while playing live. +1 for Heldal's comment. That's what I had to do to get it sounding good. That and adjusting the gain on the Sound Board, after a bit of tweaking it sounded great!

• This overloading that the guys are talking about above is a good suggestion digital clipping will sound very fizzy compared to analog clipping which can sometimes sound nice.

"Analog clipping" does not only sound nice, it is what overdrive/distortion is. However, mic-preamps are not designed for this so even tough you can get something that resemble the distortion in a guitar-amp by overdriving the preamp in an analog mixer it is unlikely to sound any better than a cheap an nasty old fuzz-pedal.

What baffles me is how often this comes up on this and other forums when the vast majority of mixing-consoles and recording-interfaces, cheap or expensive, light up like a x-mas-tree when there's clipping going on. I'd go and hide under a rock in shame if I ever find myself behind a mixing desk without spotting such an issue in a split second.

Edited once, last by heldal ().

• Also this is a good advice for getting good sound in a pa/wedge. If possible set a hi-cut to 6,5khz. Anything above will often sound like "bees". I even have costum built hi-cut box because of this, and it REALLY helps the sound.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• Quality PA and monitors do not sound like bees at 6.5k and above ;)

True. But how is your ratio of gigs on quality PA versus crap PA?

I know what mine is, and to have a switchable filter for the Crap ones (or for the clueless FOH soundguys) is a lifesaver at times.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.