Power Amp

• Since receiving my non powered Kemper on two days ago I have been doing a lot of recording straight from my rack unit into ProTools. I would not like to try some of the amp combos into one or more of my cabs. But I would assume I need a power amp to do that. I know next to nothing about power amps since my old Crown many years ago to power my monitor speakers. Question, lets say I want to use my Avatar 1x12 cabinet which houses a Celestion Blue 20 Watt speaker. I would then want to go out of the Kemper into the Power Amp into the speaker cab correct? Question 2 is, lets say I have a 500 watt power amp, how do I not blow a single 25 watt speaker. I know dumb question but its real.

IMac 21.5" - 2.5GHz 12 GB Ram - Lion 10.7, PT 10, Eleven Rack ERXP, HD's - Glyph GT050Q D 932 Chipset & Mercury Elite H/D, Axiom Pro 49, Mission Engineering Expression Pedal, JoeMeek TwinQ Mic Pr, Kemper Rack !!Good Ole Days

• Hi Beano,

1. That's correct. From Kemper (Main Out, Monitor Out or Direct Out) to Poweramp and then to Cab.
    2. I often use my Kemper Powerhead into a custom made 1x12 with a Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker (60 Watt at 16 Ohm). So the internal Poweramp runs at 300 Watt max. Obviously the Poweramp is way too loud to crank it all the way, so i don't think i will ever have problems with blowing up my speaker when used at 'normal' rehearsal- and gig-volumes (I'm using the cab just for monitor purposes. The audience gets the FOH-Sound). With 20 Watt i would be more careful. You can't link the displayed master-value in the Kemper or your external Poweramp to a specific wattage. So you won't be able to say "Master Volume on 9 o'clock equals 20 watt". What i know is, that you can only be careful and listen to the speaker to hear if it gets distorted and is driven to hard. I think it would be fine for home-use, but you would likely get problems when competing with a loud drummer.

Regards,
    LH

• Thanks LH, so once a rig you like is selected, the cabinet is eliminated in the Kemper as you are using a physical cab and speaker - correct?

IMac 21.5" - 2.5GHz 12 GB Ram - Lion 10.7, PT 10, Eleven Rack ERXP, HD's - Glyph GT050Q D 932 Chipset & Mercury Elite H/D, Axiom Pro 49, Mission Engineering Expression Pedal, JoeMeek TwinQ Mic Pr, Kemper Rack !!Good Ole Days

• Sounds like you have quite a few cabs to try out and you may or may not want the power amp to influence the tones. I would get a low wattage power amp that runs relatively neutral. By getting say a Mesa 20/20 everything will have that Mesa sound, same with most units especially tube ones. Even my Matrix GT800 has it's own character to it. Not sure who has the flattest if you want tube but search FRFR power amps (Full Frequency Flat Response) in this forum and elsewhere and that should be point you in the right direction.

• Yes that would be the way to roll - a low watt flat as can be power amp. I would think avoiding a tube amp would be the way to go as the amp models in the Kemper that I would tend to lead towards would have tube character modeled into them.