Posts by Beano

Yes that would be the way to roll - a low watt flat as can be power amp. I would think avoiding a tube amp would be the way to go as the amp models in the Kemper that I would tend to lead towards would have tube character modeled into them.

Thanks LH, so once a rig you like is selected, the cabinet is eliminated in the Kemper as you are using a physical cab and speaker - correct?

Using it only for recording in my DAW AND being a newbie, I am initially disappointed with lack of an editor on my screen. Even with all that they lack as useable sounds, my 11rack and Guitar Rig windows made finding and editing really quite easy. My guess is Kemper is working on one as we speak. Cant imagine the coding would be that crazy.

Since receiving my non powered Kemper on two days ago I have been doing a lot of recording straight from my rack unit into ProTools. I would not like to try some of the amp combos into one or more of my cabs. But I would assume I need a power amp to do that. I know next to nothing about power amps since my old Crown many years ago to power my monitor speakers. Question, lets say I want to use my Avatar 1x12 cabinet which houses a Celestion Blue 20 Watt speaker. I would then want to go out of the Kemper into the Power Amp into the speaker cab correct? Question 2 is, lets say I have a 500 watt power amp, how do I not blow a single 25 watt speaker. I know dumb question but its real.

Rack just came in UPS from GuitarCenter - Hooked her up via SPDIF to my 11 Rack and 11 Rack into Pro Tools. Piece of cake, just click Digital In L and R in a stereo Pro Tools channel and off she went. I printed off a list and went straight to the Marshall vintage gear. Oh my! Really scary that it sounds like I am micing a $10,000 Vintage Rig in the next room. Pulled out my high end guitars and they just started screaming through the monitors.Finally I can hear frequencies that I used to hear in Analogue World. Just smoking. Really interesting rig was the Leslie rig - the only one I have heard that sounded like "Badge" I mean spot on. Only small issue is as I scroll throughout rigs in Browser, some of the rigs that are printed in the Reference List I printed are not showing up in the display window.

Thx all, been doing a ton of research since your replies and in anticipation of delivery today. As a reference, I will never use the rack on a live gig as I don't play out anymore so it will just be in the studio. It seems as if my 11 rack as my only current interface) might cause some issues if I connect via analogue. After reading more deeply on some older posts here in the Avid forum and elsewhere, I really think I will need to connect SPDIF as Raoul suggested. This because the 11rack AD/DA converters are thought by many to be substandard and would hinder the signal quality of the Kemper. In addition, I wrote to Kemper support with the same hookup question.
    Hans replied:
    "Thank you for your email.You can use two different approaches to connect the Profiler to your interface.You have a choice between the analog i/o and the digital i/o.Both have their advantages and limitations.The analog connections will allow you to use whatever sampling rate you want to use in your projects but the signal will go through 2 additional conversions (digital to analog and analog to digital).Using the digital i/o will prevent the signal from being converted again but you have to use a sampling rate of 44,1 khz for your projects and you need to make the interface to be the sync slave to the digital clock that is coming from the Profiler.To use the digital i/o you need 2 coaxial SP-DIF cables."

Since i run Pro tools at 44.1, I think I will try the SPDIF first
    thx All

I understand that I am getting ahead of myself - my first Kemper is due to arrive tommorrow - but some new concerns have been cropping up regarding AD/DA converters. Currently, my home studio's interface is my Eleven Rack running into ProTools. Some posts on the DUC AVID (ProTools) forum indicate that those who are not happy with the Eleven Rack as a profiler are due to the really lousy digital converters in the 11R and suggest that a new interface with bettter converters substantially enhances the 11 Rack sounds. Many suggest bypassing the 11 R converters by using another interface like the Apogee Quartet whose converters are supposed to be far superior to that of the 11R.
    Having said that, when I hook up my new Kemper to my 11 Rack, will the 11 hinder the quality of the Kemper because of its lousy converters? Am I going to need another interface? I will never take the Kemper out for live gigs. It will always be used exclusively in my studio. Thx in Advance!

Great meeting ya Beano! Hope my crappy playing didn't scare you away from the Kemper lol. Thanks for that cool pic and most of all the goodie powders!

That at was awesome last night. Sorry had to leave early but my wife needed some assistance. Awesome player you are, very aggressive. That custom axe is very interesting, wants to be a Tele, Star and Paul at the same time. Thx for showing me the rig. Mine Willa arrive Wednesday.

Hi ZappleDan - When I click on your profile, or anyone for that matter, I receive a notice I am unauthorized. Need to read up, maybe I need to post more.

Thx all - just pulled the trigger and it should be here next week - I am just hoping against all hope that the Kemper can grab that intangible that makes a recording of miced cabinet so much more rich than my 11 Rack. Not sure what I miss - the real tape compression, the millionth of a second delay from speaker to mic, the mixing of two 57's on one speaker? Don't think I will ever take one to a gig as my amp setup is really pretty boss at the moment.

Hi folks, after much research, I am sure that the Kemper non powered rack is the way to go for me. I was starting to mix some new tracks and had used the Eleven Rack for all electric guitars. It soon became evident that the crunch tones I designed to use in the 11Rack are not going to cut it. Hopefully the Kemper will do the trick but I have some questions prior to purchase.
    1) has there been any discussion by Kemper concerning any major design changes coming down the pike? I don't want to spend 2K on a soon to be outdated model.
    2) I have been and want to continue recording my guitars and basses digitally and avoid micing cabinets. I use pro tools and at the moment my audio interface is my 11 Rack. The 11 rack is connected to my IMac via USB. After reading the Kemper online manual, would it be correct to connect the Kemper to my 11 rack via SPDIF?
    thx

Hi All, I am in Sarasota FL and very very close to pulling the trigger on a non powered rack. Been playing for 30 years and most of that professionally. I currently do alot of song writing an production work out of my home studio. Luckily started collecting vintage gear before they were vintage and have a pretty decent set of guitars and amps etc. Unreal how they have climbed.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a Kemper nearby so I am relying on your posts and other sources to make my decision. Because my home studio has volume limitations, it is difficult to use any of my favorite Marshalls, Fenders, Vox's. I have tried isolation cabinets, boutique amps and of course my go to Marshalls and the like but really want to just save the space and use the editing features of the modeling world. About 5 years ago, I purchased an 11 rack and am still using it through Pro Tools. For clean tones it is fine but the typical crunch tones I need just dont quite cut it. As much as I tweak the 11R I just cannot quite get there. I just sounds 1 dimensional to me. After listening to some final cuts of new material cut with the 11R, I simply cannot use them. The tones are killing me. I am really hoping that the Kemper will solve my issues. More questions to come but thought I would let you know I am lurking.