Public Beta 3.1.2 - expression pedal fix

• Does anyone know the technical difference between type 1 and type 2. I have always just used 1 and it doesn't seem to make a difference which I choose so what is the difference?

I see in the manual it mentions polarity reversal but shouldn't that result in a difference when viewing the pedal in calibration. And it is unclear from the manual how to really know for sure which type you have since you can't tell from the calibration it doesn't seem.

• Simple, painless update from 3.1.1 to 3.1.2. My DVP3 expression pedal, connected to the remote, worked under 3.1.1 and still works fine under 3.1.2. I did have to re-calibrate the pedal under 3.1.2 to regain full use of pedal range.

• Does anyone know the technical difference between type 1 and type 2.

From the reference manual, "If you use a regular expression pedal (e.g. Roland), please select “Pedal (Type 1)” with soft knobs 1 or 3. If you use an expression pedal with reversed polarity (e.g. Yamaha), please select “Pedal (Type 2)”.

• Okay, I can replicate the problem in both 3.1.1 and 3.1.2

If you assign your pedal in the pedal screen as a 'Volume' control and then go to the Midi Settings page and select 'Wahpedal to vol' it stops working.

However, if you assign your pedal to Wah in the pedal screen, normal service is resumed.

I am going to theorise that the 3.1 upgrade reset some settings and therefore got to this point.

As far as i can see the bug still exists, just it is easy to work around.

• From the reference manual, "If you use a regular expression pedal (e.g. Roland), please select “Pedal (Type 1)” with soft knobs 1 or 3. If you use an expression pedal with reversed polarity (e.g. Yamaha), please select “Pedal (Type 2)”.

Right, but how you know what type you have if it isn't Yamaha or Roland?

• Roland uses wiper = tip, whereas Yamaha uses wiper = ring. You can check your expression pedal's manual or specs for where the wiper is.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Roland uses wiper = tip, whereas Yamaha uses wiper = ring. You can check your expression pedal's manual or specs for where the wiper is.

Thanks for the information but short of putting an ohm meter on it I have no idea which way it is wired and I have searched for this and the manufacturer has not made this info available. I would think that the kemper calibration display should show this by showing heel to toe as either 0 to 100% or 100% to 0 but alas it does not which really doesn't make sense to me knowing what is going on here.

Also I would think that the kemper could sense this polarity during calibration and auto configure itself. To set this automatically all the Kemper would need is a consistent calibration procedure like move from heel to toe to heel or toe to heel to toe. Once the Kemper knows which end is heel and which is toe it will know the polarity automatically.

• This isn't a bug I don't think, but has existed as far back as I know. There can only be one volume pedal (currently) assigned at a time, so if you have a pedal nominated as volume, but then subsequently assign a second as wah but then engage Wah to Volume, it will override the first, as long as there isn't a wah activated in the current Rig.

• It's a pity there is no change-log that list the actual changes between the beta point-releases. As is we don't know which of the reported problems have been addressed.

• Each announcement includes a list:

I should be more specific. Being a developer I'd prefer a list of comments extracted from code revision-management-tools. When a developer commits a code-change he or she will specify whether it is a fix or an enhancement and give a short description. The lists we get are clearly just a manual extract. I'd much prefer an auto-generated list of all bugfixes (not enhancements) since the previous release. Such lists must be checked before publication to remove unnecessary/proprietary information, but each and every entry should be included in some form. Enhancements to the code is a different issue. Those may well be kept secret.

• I should be more specific. Being a developer I'd prefer a list of comments extracted from code revision-management-tools. When a developer commits a code-change he or she will specify whether it is a fix or an enhancement and give a short description. The lists we get are clearly just a manual extract. I'd much prefer an auto-generated list of all bugfixes (not enhancements) since the previous release. Such lists must be checked before publication to remove unnecessary/proprietary information, but each and every entry should be included in some form. Enhancements to the code is a different issue. Those may well be kept secret.

You were specific enough - In a previous job, I did application-specific design, coding and testing, so I knew what you were really asking for ;) I don't know of any music gear manufacturer that supplies that level of detail to end users when an OS change is released. There aren't many that even release Public Betas, for that matter, are there?

• This update definitely fixed the problem I was having with my DVP-3 pedal. Odd since I know of others with the exact same pedal who apparently didn't have an issue yet I did and the 3.1.2 update restored the original proper operation.