Input issue, well kind of!

• When we encounter problems in our everyday no-pressure situations, we have the time and no pressure (apart from blood pressure/anger issues) - so we try to brain our way through it. If we were systematic and did the basic footwork every time, we'd also do it in higher pressure situations, I think. It's kind of like the safety lecture during before take-off. Everybody's talking, reading, checkin mails an whatnot instead of paying attention. Because it's pretty darn simple. Then when the time comes to use that information we're running around like chickens because we didn't pay attention when we were drilled. Well, we WOULD be running around like chickens if our idiot panicked minds could just work the darn safety belt open, what the hell???

• Haha this actually happened to me the very first time I plugged into the Kemper. I was like "WTF", and proceeded to check the back connections to the speaker, I checked the guitar volume, and also the chicken knob on the Kemper to make sure it was set to Browse or Perform....it wasn't until I decided that the instrument cable "must be" the culprit and proceeded to disconnect it from the Kemper to try another cable when I finally saw the "Headphones" input ;)

Not to justify myself (or others), but don't amps usually have the input on the left side? :)

• Yup. That was my assumption too, and headphones are usually on the right.

Heck, even the USB plug's upside-down, but I put all these things in the "Kemper's a unique, one-of-a-kind piece of kit" basket. A basket case, if you will. LOL

Oh, and we have 125 performances, not 128, and many other miscellaneous details that render our beloved unique.

• This reminds me of the gig where I spent 10 minutes in a state of panic trying to figure out why my rig wasn't working. I checked everything! Every cable, pedal, power supply, speaker connection to amp, and couldn't find the problem.

Turns out, I never plugged the cable into the guitar. :S

In my defense, I usually go wireless.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• This reminds me of the gig where I spent 10 minutes in a state of panic trying to figure out why my rig wasn't working. I checked everything! Every cable, pedal, power supply, speaker connection to amp, and couldn't find the problem.

Turns out, I never plugged the cable into the guitar. :S

Been there, done that. Not pretty.

• I'd wager that if the headphone input and guitar input were reversed, there would be less of this type of incident. The way they're laid out on the Kemper is just the reverse from a lot of other gear I've owned, though I couldn't name any of them two years in. I just make sure I plug into the right input.

One way of avoiding this is plugging in one of those 1/4" to RCA style headphone connectors and just leaving it in the headphone jack. I seldom use headphones, so it effectively blocks that output from being used.

• I don't know if any production models were ever made that way, but I seem to remember that early prototypes (in YouTube vids etc.) actually had the input jack on the left and the headphones on the right (matching the signal path suggested by the front plate layout). Some pictures/renders still show that layout:
    [Blocked Image: http://img.guitar-muse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/kemper-profiling-amp-white-front.jpg]
    Apparently, they decided to switch them in the end. I think I remember reading somewhere that Mr. Kemper preferred to have the input jack on the right because that's where the cable connects to the guitar for right-handed players standing in front of the unit, but frankly that memory is so vague it could be completely made up. ^^

Anyway, this means that you're not connecting it the wrong way around, you're doing it the original Kemper way! :D

• I don't know if any production models were ever made that way, but I seem to remember that early prototypes (in YouTube vids etc.) actually had the input jack on the left and the headphones on the right (matching the signal path suggested by the front plate layout). Some pictures/renders still show that layout:

I think i read somewhere, that this was just a false labelling in early (prototype) versions. The Input was on the right side, only the labels were messed up. IIRC this led to some theories, that the Kemper is a fake, because in the early videos the guitar always was plugged into the 'headphone' jack. :D

• I think i read somewhere, that this was just a false labelling in early (prototype) versions. The Input was on the right side, only the labels were messed up. IIRC this led to some theories, that the Kemper is a fake, because in the early videos the guitar always was plugged into the 'headphone' jack. :D

YOUTUBE VIDEO LINK

Yes, they were some production models with INPUT jack on the left, so no just fake labelling:

[Blocked Image: http://s17.postimg.org/9n3rp3j33/kemper_input_left.png]

What I heard was that they moved INPUT to the right, to be far away from AC source (transformers etc....) which is on left at the back - but cannot give you source of that...

[Blocked Image: http://s9.postimg.org/ezh9fk7hb/kemper_input_left.png]

• What I heard was that they moved INPUT to the right, to be far away from AC source (transformers etc....) which is on left at the back - but cannot give you source of that...

It is not entirely impossible that over time, in my head, this reasoning was transformed into the guitar cable idea I mentioned above. :) I just remember that at some point a reason for the change was mentioned, and that it was somewhat clever/pragmatic/Kemperisch.

• Yup. That was my assumption too, and headphones are usually on the right.

Heck, even the USB plug's upside-down, but I put all these things in the "Kemper's a unique, one-of-a-kind piece of kit" basket. A basket case, if you will. LOL

Oh, and we have 125 performances, not 128, and many other miscellaneous details that render our beloved unique.

125 vs 128 you say? Nothing wrong with that Monkey_Man. Kemper team just preserved that the sum of base number and power to which it was raised is constant. By that I mean 5^3 and 2^6. Both figures equal to 8!

• Good move, Mike.

125 vs 128 you say? Nothing wrong with that Monkey_Man. Kemper team just preserved that the sum of base number and power to which it was raised is constant. By that I mean 5^3 and 2^6. Both figures equal to 8!

I'll take your word for it, Skocz, but would feel much more comfortable if you were to produce a graph. :D