Feels like the first day with my KPA

• Hi everyone,

I would like to share my amazing experience that I had with the KPA today.

I've been having my KPA for a few month now, but due to a bunch of reasons, I did yet not have had the time to dig into it deeper. Until today. First I have to say that I own two electric guitars (not a collector^^). I have one cheap but solid Ibanez, I consider her a "grap & go" guitar, that I would take to my latest or my future girlfriend, to my parents' house, you name it. I tried the KPA with this guitar and the result was... hm... somewhere about ok, but far from what I heard the KPA can sound like. And because of all those great clips, I thought my KPA might be faulty. But today - for the first time - I plugged my trusty Strat with Dimarzios into the green machine and: Bääm!

Suddenly it was all there. The juice, the chunk, the spirit, the feel... So I went through all my (well, not all yet) profiles, and I was floored. What an amazing thing this KPA is. Might sound funny to some since most of you have had this experience allready, but I can now say:

Yes, the KPA is nothing less than an universe of amps!

I'm still a bit surprised though about how picky it is with guitars, but in the end I think this is a good thing. And I'm confident that I will find more than useful setting for the RG as well.

Nice day to all
    A happy happy KPA user.

:)

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• :)

how did the Ibanez sound with your amps?

Well I actually haven't played a real amp for a long long time. And the Ibanez is quite new. As I have been doing a lot of recording with my last band at my apartment, a real amp was no option at all. So I tried all kinds of modelers, and found the Vox Tonelabs worked best for me. But that's adifferent story...^^

What I can compare the Ibanez sound to is playing it through my cheapo Zoom G1on. This thing is in my gigbag so I can headphone practise anytime, anywhere. For what it is, this thing sounds great! And it did sound brilliant on the cleans with the Ibanez. Then again it's a different animal than the Kemper. Of course it's not sooo picky with guitars, but as stated by Paults, this is a ++ of the KPA. I think I have to do a lot more testing, since I feel I'm just about discovering the KPA (outside Utube^^). I was simply blown away when I plugged my Start into it.

:)

Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• Awesome man. Glad you found the magic!

Thx man :) . Now GAS is on guitars exclusively.

• Hi Fireloogie,

Glad to hear you had an epiphanic experience with your KPA, when you tried your Strat. While there is no universal band-aid for the less than inspiring tone of a cheap guitar, there may be a way to significantly improve the results you get with it, in combination with your KPA.
    Have you tried adjusting the Clean Sens and Dist Sens parameters (Input Menu) when you have your Ibanez plugged into your KPA?

If you are not familiar with these incredibly powerful and important parameters, you definitely will want to consult your handy KPA Reference Manual. In addition to the manual, you might find the following Kemper Tutorial video of help:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    https://youtu.be/1Fn3iXGFm8o

Cheers,
    John

• Hi Fireloogie,

Glad to hear you had an epiphanic experience with your KPA, when you tried your Strat. While there is no universal band-aid for the less than inspiring tone of a cheap guitar, there may be a way to significantly improve the results you get with it, in combination with your KPA.
    Have you tried adjusting the Clean Sens and Dist Sens parameters (Input Menu) when you have your Ibanez plugged into your KPA?

Cheers,
    John

Hi John,

thank you very much for pointing this out. Indeed I am aware of these parameters and the corresponding vid. I have read the manual and know vaguely how theses parameters work.
    But: I have not checked the Senses with the Ibanez yet, so thanks for reminding me :). As soon as I played with them, I will post the results here. I am confident this is the way to go and that I will achieve way better tones with the RG, too, this way.

Greetings
    Alex

• I can totally relate to 'Loogie's experience.

For the first few months all I heard through mine were a $120 s/h Squire Bullet strat, an $80 BarfRinger El Torro and my L6 JTV69. The '69 wasn't half bad... at least I thought so, and the other two were scratchy and awful, but of course the variety of profiles on offer disguised this fact somewhat 'cause a mellow profile will tame a scratchy guitar quite well.

Then my brother "Fingers" brought his '59 LP 'round for a play, and I've since heard a Suhr Modern and Satin through the unit. Suddenly the hit : miss ratio on the Rig Exchange literally inverted from 20 : 80 to 80 : 20.

I don't know how else to say it, but if ever there was chalk and cheese...

So glad you had this experience, 'Loogie. I just hope you don't go too nuts with the guitar GAS now, mate!

• Hey man, long time no see :)

I'm still stunned. This weekend all belongs to the KPA. I've just finished going through all my commercial profiles once more and sorted them out. So far I'm down to 160, which I will try to decrease further. By the way I'm about to enter the next level: New strings!

And regarding the GAS on guitars... so true. But since I now know only another quality guitar makes sense, this is far far in the future^^.

• Yup. I have that far-off thing to protect me too.

Speaking of strings... then again... aahh... too much... oh what the Hell:

Seriously, I've been researching strings for a while and haven't landed on anything properly yet. Lil' brother "Fingers" recommends "Pure Blues" for many reasons. I don't mind D'dario NYs, but too pricey. The Slinkys I bought recently all had rust spots on 'em (mainly high-E string) - half a dozen packs, sealed with all the blurb about how their packaging rocks... you get the idea. Used XL-110s for years but got sick of folks laughing at me so thought I'd try an "upgrade", but as I suggested, no progress yet...

I've thought of strating a thread on this, but am not sure it'll only serve to confuse me further!

Yes, strings make a difference for sure. My brother reckons his Pure Blues sets make individual strings in chords shine through much better, and from listening to 'em on his LP, I tend to agree with him. A little pricey for me 'though, with only a minimal, if any, bulk discount...

Damn you! You shouldn't have mentioned strings. Talk about a can of worms. Nickel-wound can, that is... with an apple core.