Re-amping issues

• Hi,

I happen to like my actual Engl Ironball amp (not profile) for my Prog Rock band. We are recording our first song as this band.

I recorded my parts as follows:

Guitar > Kemper > 1. Main out 2. Direct Out (set as studio guitar)> inputs 1 and 2 on Focusrite 2i2>PC running Ableton.

So I ended up with a Kemper (Mesa profile) guitar track and a clean Studio guitar track.

Tonight I planned to put the Studio guitar track through my Engl and record the output from the cab.
    I ended up doing this by taking the output from the 2i2 during PC playback.

I wasn't convinced of the results through the Engl so I used a Boss A/B so that A was the Studio guitar track played back via the 2i2 and B was my guitar (used for the original recording) straight into the A/B pedal.

I adjusted the output of the 2i2 so the volume coming through my amp (on clean) matched that of my guitar straight into the amp.

Both on the gain and clean channels, the Studio guitar track sounded softer / less trebly/cutting than the guitar. It was very signifcant.

What am I doing wrong?

By the way......the sound of the Kemper profile sounded far better than the re-amped sound.....so I'm using that at the moment.

Cheers,
    Andy

• Ok, let's ask a slightly more directed question. What is the easiest way to record a guitar performance and then run it through the Kemper to try applying different rigs to it?

Currently I have my performances recorded via the Direct Out set to Studio guitar (Git Studio).....the guide says:

Similar to “Git + Processing”, but here the instrument signal is sent out at studio
    level, which is much louder as the original level. Thus no separate DI box is needed
    to record the pure instrument for reamping purposes. Since the instrument volume is
    high, the recommended leveling of “Clean Sens” in the Input Section is important.

But of course, once it is recorded on a wav on my DAW (Ableton in this case via the Focusrite 2i2), how do I know what volume to send the wav back into the Kemper in order to "re-amp" through the Kemper rigs?

I'd much rather use the Kemper than computer plug-ins, but have to show my producer (our keyboard player) how to do this successfully quickly before he just goes ahead with the plug ins....

Cheers,
    Andy

• how do I know what volume to send the wav back into the Kemper in order to "re-amp" through the Kemper rigs?

The same applies als when playing the Profiler directly.
    Make sure the Profiler gets hit with healthy levels.
    Watch the Input LED, adjust clean sens if necessary.

• The same applies als when playing the Profiler directly.
    Make sure the Profiler gets hit with healthy levels.
    Watch the Input LED, adjust clean sens if necessary.

but where I'm confused is, surely the studio level guitar is much louder than the volume that would normally hit the front input from an unamplified guitar?

• I think the rear input is line level, whereas the front is guitar level. The input sense controls will "adapt" their range to the line-level signal if that's what you're using, and to the guitar-level range when the front input is employed.

That should allay your concerns, if indeed I'm right, Andy.