Input Source Return Input Reamp not working

• Hi all,

I'm currently pulling what's left of my hair out trying to get the Return Input Reamp source working.

The cable feeding it from my DAW works when I pull it out and plug into the front panel and switching to front input as the source but nothing when using Input source Return Input Reamp.
    As a troubleshooting method, I have checked that the return input works by connecting a patch cable from the send to the return and activating an fx loop, which seems to work fine.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Rick

• Hi,

Not sure if I understood correctly, but I guess you're trying to reamp di-track?

If so, you're sending DI from your interface to Kemper return input.You have routed your DI track in your DAW to correct output? (the one which is connected to return input)? You have selected Return input reamp as an input source, that's correct. Also you have your main out connected to your interface and you have correct input and output settings in your daw?

I got my reamping work with this setting: sending di-audio from daw to interface line output, connect line output to kemper return input, connect kemper main out to interface input. Not sure if I'm doing this "correctly" but this is how it's working for me, analog reamping of course.

Here's Kemper tutorial for reamping,

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yes, you understand correctly and I thank you for your reply.
    I have set up exactly as in the tutorial but am getting no signal when set to Return Input reamp.
    I have tried all the alternative inputs and they work, though not ideally. The sample rate of the Kemper can't be changed so the SPDIF is useless in this case as this session has been recorded at 48k and leaves a nasty digital artefact.
    The alternative and front inputs also work but at the wrong level. I tried turning down the output of the track being sent to accommodate but there is a tonal difference.

As mentioned, I tested the physical input by creating and fx loop using an effect module and it works fine, even cuts out when I disconnect the cable leading me to believe it is a software issue.
    I just updated to the latest software version but still no joy.

• Front input or alternative inputs are not for reamping. Are you positive that you are getting audio signal out from your interface? have you tried for example connecting speaker or headphones to that line out you are routing your di-signal so you can confirm that you are getting signal out from your DAW?

Edited 2 times, last by Arskalam ().

• Okay. So you are positive that you are feeding signal to Kemper. If you've watched reamping tutorial video I presume that you have checked Kemper volume levels? Which DAW you are using? Are you getting signal from kemper to your interface? Just trying to figure out if this could be some problem with your interface or DAW.

• Outputs from Pro Tools are working, this is confirmed by unplugging the lead from the return input and plugging in to the other inputs with less than desirable results as I said. The spdif works too but with digital aliasing from sample rate mismatch. All Input sources work except the return input when selected at the input source in the input parameters. The input physically works as evidenced by using it as a loop with just a patch cable.

• Very interesting indeed. In pro tools you have DI-track output going to interface line out and from there Kemper return input. Reamp track input is set to you interface input this signal from interface input should come from Kemper main out and output source in Kemper should be master mono or master stereo, depending on are you reamping mono or stereo track. What interface do you have? Sorry if there's some repetition in my comments, just making sure that I understand your setup correctly 8)

If you have setup as stated above, if you try to arm record in reamp track and try to record you dont get any signal?

Edited once, last by Arskalam ().

• Yep, you got it. Arming a return track in Pro Tools and recording results in nothing because the signal isn't getting to the Kemper via the return input. All other input options work using the same output of the interface (I've tried several, they all work) but the Kemper won't accept signal at the return input when switched to input source return input. M Audio Profire 2626 is the interface.

• You got a strange problem there... Seems like you have your I/O set up correctly and you have selected correct input source (Return Input Reamp). You sure you are plugged in to return input and not to alternative input which is just next to return input? :P

If you try to plug headphones or a speaker to kemper Main out left or right and play your DI-track when reamp track is rec armed in pro tools and in pro tools you are in input only monitoring mode. Do you get signal out from kemper? This is last thing I can imagine to figure out if its problem with DAW or just kemper return input.

Have you tried to do factory reset to kemper? Have you opened support ticket for this?

There's a picture of what i meant.

• Thanks for your efforts Arskalam.
    I ended up converting the sessions to 44.1 and using the SPDIF after wasting way too much time and potential money.
    The goal was to use the Kemper as a reamp interface to real amps and speakers. We had already mixed and mastered the album using the Kemper exclusively for the guitars but the band were not happy with the results compared to my work with them on previous releases using their real amps and speakers.
    Thankfully they know me and my work well enough to give me a second go without damage to my reputation.
    I've just re-tracked one of the guitars and compared it to the Kemper direct version, there is no comparison really.
    The Kemper was a great solution when I was doing fly dates every weekend but I'm going back to real amps in the studio for "wall of sound" metal. The Kemper may still have a place as a preamp through real tubes, speakers and microphones yet. I'll know later tonight when I give it a go on some overdubs.
    The Fryette Power Station is my new best friend.

• No problem.

Guess you still should open support ticket to Kemper for this. Reamping should work in analog as stated above, it's one of Kemper features to reamp in analog or in digital.

Best Regards,

• so what's the story with this issue, guys? I updated today to 3.3.0 release and found out I got the same thing: no life when connecting to return input and good sound if connecting to front input.

what's going on here?

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music