Anyone happy using smaller monitors (around 5") with their Kemper? Update!

• Using a pair of Mackie 824's thru my DAW. Had um for a few years now. They match the CLR's tone wise and just sound killer.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Fu**ing hell, this Is the 3rd time I've typed this and got blown out. Anyway...

I have the HS50M's, the clarity is excellent and it has a tight bottom end (oo-er missus)
    I got a subwoofer to go with it but used it so seldom that it is now back in storage.

• Might I suggest the OP rename the thread to include the 5" specification as I can see this turning into something else? No? OK. LOL

Folks, if we want to help the OP, let's at least read his request properly. Just sayin'.

Thanks and yes, done :) I just assumed small monitors would mean the same to everyone.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Only just got broadband back and have been reading through the comments. Looks like 5" speakers are working for some people so I might give them a whirl. So far I've got recommendations for:

JBL LSR305s
    Yamaha NS5s
    Yamaha NS7s (could possibly go this large)
    Equator D5s
    Any with a sub

The sub's an option in as far as I have the space but I'd have to wait till I had the funds as my budget right now will only cover the monitors. Having said that, as SpottyDog is happy without using his sub most of the time, maybe my worry that there won't be enough bottom end with a 5" cone is unfounded.

Just need to get out and try a few 5" monitors if I can. Without having the Kemper and a guitar on hand it's difficult to really know which would be better in a demo so any additional Kemper experience with the above speakers is appreciated :thumbup:

• I know you've said the Neumann 120's are outside you budget and that's fair enough. I just wanted to add another vote to say 'I'm using mine through these tiny speakers and I am happy so it's possible'.

Of course with a YMMV and other caveats :) We all have different expectations and all desire slightly different things out of our guitar playing I guess.

For me, when I used to play my valve amp through a 1x12 at home, I would always experience a strange artefact with the volume..... I would be playing for 5 minutes and then my wife would come in and give me 'that look' where you know your next decision is between living and dying. At that point I would find an unexplained drop in volume which affected my enjoyment but at least I'm still here to be able to enjoy the tone at a volume that doesn't hasten my death :)

• I know you've said the Neumann 120's are outside you budget and that's fair enough. I just wanted to add another vote to say 'I'm using mine through these tiny speakers and I am happy so it's possible'.

Of course with a YMMV and other caveats :) We all have different expectations and all desire slightly different things out of our guitar playing I guess.

For me, when I used to play my valve amp through a 1x12 at home, I would always experience a strange artefact with the volume..... I would be playing for 5 minutes and then my wife would come in and give me 'that look' where you know your next decision is between living and dying. At that point I would find an unexplained drop in volume which affected my enjoyment but at least I'm still here to be able to enjoy the tone at a volume that doesn't hasten my death :)

Haha yes, that's kind of where I am. I too have wife-mandated volume (and budget) restrictions so that plays a large part in things. That's partly why I said in my original post that trouser-flapping, low end bass wasn't an issue. If whatever I buy sounds good at moderate to low volume and has a more or less flat response I'll be happy. As long as I at least get a good impression of bass that is. Somewhere down the line I may have a better budget for upgrading to something like the Neumanns but I just bought a new house so most of my cash is tied up in non guitar related things for a while :(

• Thanks for all the input everyone. Only just got broadband back and have been reading through the comments. Looks like 5" speakers are working for some people so I might give them a whirl. So far I've got recommendations for:

JBL LSR305s
    Yamaha NS5s
    Yamaha NS7s (could possibly go this large)
    Equator D5s
    Any with a sub

I recently tested quite a few monitors in a local music store.
    I have to say, that i have no experience with monitors so far, but tried to pay attention to what i read about different characteristics about monitors. (e.g. i listened to Neumanns and Genelcs from time to time, to have a comparison that i can use as a basis to judge the other monitors.)
    Of course the cheaper monitors where not as good as the Neumanns, etc., but the Tannoy Reveal 502 really surprised me.
    Originally i was looking at the Focal Alpha 50/65, but the Tannoys where not that much worse considering the difference in price.

I compared them (the Tannoys) to KRKs, the JBLs, some Yamahas, etc. and (at least to me) they were quite good.

Long story short: I'm not in the possition to give you a sophisticated statement about the sound quality, but i think you should also consider the Tannoys, if you are already looking for the JBLs, etc.

• Interesting that you didn't find the Tannoys that much poorer than the likes of the Focal Alpha 50s. Did you think that the extra for the Focals was worth it? I can definitely afford the extra for the Focals but I'll add the Tannoys to the list. Hopefully I can get into town on the weekend and listen to at least some of these.

• Well, if money isn't an issue, then i would say that the Focals are definitely much better (but also bigger, which seems to be a critical point in your case).
    I figured out that the Tannoys would be a better choice for me (!!) at the moment, because they give me a reasonable sound (for my applications) without spending too much money.
    What i tried to say is:
    If you are considering the JBLs (or something in that price range), you should probably listen to the tannoys as well, because they sounded a bit better to me.
    But if you are willing to pay more and you think, that you would profit from a better sound quality for your application, then i would personally consider something like the focals or adam f-series.

Again, i'm a total beginner, when it comes to studio monitors (!), but the tannoys (as well as the JBLs, to be fair) get a lot of good reviews in this price range. (You might want to check Pete Thorns Video about the Tannoys).

• Well, if money isn't an issue, then i would say that the Focals are definitely much better (but also bigger, which seems to be a critical point in your case). Well, if money isn't an issue, then i would say that the Focals are definitely much better (but also bigger, which seems to be a critical point in your case).

I didn't think the Alpha 50s were very large. I'll have to check the dimensions. Money's definitely an issue but I have around £350-£380 set aside away from my wife so I was thinking I may as well get the best that I can for that money before it's snatched for cushions or curtains or something :)

That said, I'll definitely check the Tannoys and the JBLs. If I can get something I'm happy with for less then I won't complain and I definitely appreciate your input. I don't know if I have a good enough ear to be super critical of differences unless they were pretty glaring so I may well be very satisfied with the cheaper monitors. I have to admit the JBLs in particular are looking very tempting just now if only because a lot of people seem to be recommending them.

• I just noticed that the Focal Alpha 50's go down to 45Hz at -3dB. If that spec is real, then they should rock the low end without any need for a sub. I might tend to believe the spec based on their history as a high-end company. They weren't recently acquired by Harmon, were they? ;)

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• JBL LSR305s go even lower (I have measured it), and they are a fraction of the Focal's price. These are really a good buy in my opinion. I do not argue that the Focals might be better, but the JBL is 95% there. At least. I'm sure you can use that money somewhere else. Of course if you have the money, go for the Focals or other high priced brands.

• I just noticed that the Focal Alpha 50's go down to 45Hz at -3dB. If that spec is real, then they should rock the low end without any need for a sub. I might tend to believe the spec based on their history as a high-end company. They weren't recently acquired by Harmon, were they? ;)

I saw that but have to admit I was very sceptical of it. That's pretty darn low for a little 5" speaker. If that's right though, there's more than enough low end for the Kemper :thumbup:

• JBL LSR305s go even lower, and they are a fraction of the Focal's price. These are really a good buy in my opinion. I do not argue that the Focals might be better, but the JBL is 95% there. At least. I'm sure you can use that money somewhere else. Of course if you have the money, go for the Focals.

If that's right too then I could indeed be very happy with the JBL's. I just assumed the specs were a bit of marketing foo and didn't really trust them over people's real world experiences.

• I have measured the JBLs. Not just hype. My only gripe with them is the back port. (You should not place them close to a wall) They also have a very slight hum. But you can only hear it when you are very close and there is no sound playing. Otherwise they are perfect (for me).

• I have measured the JBLs. Not just hype. My only gripe with them is the back port. (You should not place them close to a wall) They also have a very slight hum. But you can only hear it when you are very close and there is no sound playing. Otherwise they are perfect (for me).

Thanks a lot for this :thumbup: I could very well be sold on these little speakers, especially given their price. I'll still try and A-B them against some Focals (and anything else I can find locally) and see if there's anything there that might justify (for my needs) the extra cost over the JBLs.