Thinking about booking studio time to profile amps

• Like I said before, IMHO the intention of @ColdFrixion is perfectly fine.
    He pays the studio for skills he doesn't have and the studio has specialized on.
    Plus being totally open and transparent about his intentions towards the studio makes it even more legit, and as he said, they're cool with it.
    So why grumble @MentaL? Would you, as a studio owner, turn down a job like this?
    I mean this is where studios with good engineers, mics, preamps etc. can really shine and make money in the future.

I guess I'm just seeing it from a different perspective. I'll admit my grumbleness , I apologise.

[Blocked Image: http://rlv.zcache.com/wanna_be_my_friend_postcard-rfa27b9cda0d4477c87e55670dbce4974_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg]
    My peace offering.

• Having been an active member on recording forums for 10+ years, and being familiar with tons of folks that run studios, I can guaran-freaking-tee you that a studio owner would rather spend his day setting up mics to get sweet guitar tones for a Kemper than deal with a good majority of a studio's usual clients.

They get paid the same money, and he never even has to hit "record?" And no hand-holding the drummer (who won't play to a click track) through 20 takes to get one that works? And no mixing? Etc.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me. :D

• Like I said before, IMHO the intention of @ColdFrixion is perfectly fine.
    He pays the studio for skills he doesn't have and the studio has specialized on.
    Plus being totally open and transparent about his intentions towards the studio makes it even more legit, and as he said, they're cool with it.
    So why grumble @MentaL? Would you, as a studio owner, turn down a job like this?
    I mean this is where studios with good engineers, mics, preamps etc. can really shine and make money in the future.

EXACTLY!

I don't get what MentaL's beef is with what the OP is doing. Last time I checked what you described above is precisely what recording studios get paid for. But he insists that the scenarios, as in I pay you for your expertise then I do whatever I want with the recorded material, are different. Thankfully, he is NOT the studio owner ;-).

• I think with the advances in home recording technology available to the average person. Studio's are a somewhat dying industry. If I were an owner of a studio and someone wanted to spend money for my services I would be foolish to turn down the money for studio time.

If you have a great collection of amps, it may be a great way to capture your amplifier, using the experienced skills of an engineer and also the benefit of high quality mic's, mic pre's and other studio gear at your disposal.

I would also look at what kind of amps they have as well, you may find a really nice studio with some great vintage amps, profile theirs and yours. -Two birds with one stone.

• The usual debate is getting shaping here... Selling a profile has nothing to do with "grabbing an amp", so to speak. Tone is not owned not own-able; the studio owns the amps, not their tone. A profile is not the amp, is a set of instructions for initializing a modeller's model.
    What the OP is going to do with his profiles should not even enter the equation.
    And yes, for me it's like recording a song there, with their expertise, their amps, their mics and placement, production and post-production... and then decide if selling it or not.

:)

• Heh i see a great idea for a crowd funded profiling session:) People on the forum get together and select a kick ass studio, then chips in on studiotime and profiles their amps:P

• And yes, for me it's like ....

Yes, and that's fine.
    But still it's the studio owners' decision if they allow clients to capture their signal chain including amp, cab, microphone (placement), preamps, expertise for all-purpose reproduction on the Kemper Profiler platform. You can't blame a studio owner if he's not willing to allow that or if he only agrees to do it at an extra charge.

• Yes, and that's fine.
    But still it's the studio owners' decision if they allow clients to capture their signal chain including amp, cab, microphone (placement), preamps, expertise for all-purpose reproduction on the Kemper Profiler platform. You can't blame a studio owner if he's not willing to allow that or if he only agrees to do it at an extra charge.

But the OP already said that the studio engineer is cool with it, so why are we still discussing it?

:)

• Exactly this. Also, I see no reason to emphatize the "for me". I have already written "for me". Do we really always need a polemic when we discuss things we don't agree about? :)

"I like stratos over anything else"
    "Yeah, but that's just your opinion"...

?
    Makes no sense to me.

• Another idea was to rent an amp(s) from a rental service and use it in the studio. Of course that raises the overall cost, but it also offers a much greater selection. I checked with a local outfit this morning that offers a wide range of amps, including various boutique varieties, and prices ranged from $40 - $60 per day. Some Guitar Centers also offer amp and mic rentals. In fact, I called my local GC rental location and their prices are comparable but their selection was extremely limited. In both cases, I explained what I would be using the amps for and they didn't bat an eye. They were more than happy to help whenever I was ready. In my case, I'd be taking the amp(s) into a studio, but for anyone who doesn't have an amp and wants to profile, this might be an option.

For anyone concerned that a rental facility would be averse to having their amps profiled, consider that at least some rental chains are not only aware of profiling but actually rent KPA's. Exhibit A

• I think its a great idea and Im thinking about doing it myself , renting am amp and getting some great profiles tailored to my sound .

I find it more difficult to get my sound , buying tons of profiles and trying free ones , because you can only edit them so much with eq etc. if they dont fit the sound you are looking for or what works in the mix.
    So Im considering the same thing , one great tone in the kemper I will use has more value to me than one thousand I wont use or have to tweak