Which linear boxes for a powered Kemper?

• Of course I can use it with normal guitar boxes (switching off cab simulation on the monitor out) and I already do it with great satisfaction, but I'm currently evaluating the possibility to use linear boxes, in order to take advantage of cab simulations as well.
    Any good adivice?

• Of course I can use it with normal guitar boxes (switching off cab simulation on the monitor out) and I already do it with great satisfaction, but I'm currently evaluating the possibility to use linear boxes, in order to take advantage of cab simulations as well.
    Any good adivice?

I've just started looking at this as well. I've got no conclusions yet but keep us posted as I'm interested in how you get on!

• I've read somewhere there are three main alternatives:

• DXR for general use
    • Atomic for home/studio/rehearsals
    • Red Sound for live use

Maybe it's a bit oversimplified... Do you agree? Any comments?

• DXR for general use
    • Red Sound for live use

I haven't played any but ordered a cab from red sound. I'm dying to receive it (not sure this is proper english).
    however, I'm gonna say that those who played them all are not many and such sentence is one's personal conclusion. this is certainly oversimplified. there are way too many subjective parameters in such a choice. myself I chose red cab cause I wanted a 12' with cab form factor, not too linear. I mean with a little feel. Gianfranco made me wanna buy the red sound one. we'll see

• DXR for general use
    • Red Sound for live use

What's the difference between general use and home/studio/rehearsals? ;)
    And the difference between rehearsals and live?

• What's the difference between general use and home/studio/rehearsals? ;)
    And the difference between rehearsals and live?

General use = for every use
    I don't know about you, but at rehearsals I definitely don't need all the power I need in a live situation. ;)
    Anyway you can remove the word "rehearsals" from the picture and question still stands. :)

• DXR and CLR are "FRFR", with the latter being way more linear and transparent than the former. It also exhibits a much more sophisticated diffusion pattern, that makes it ideal on stage.

The Red Sound is an "GRFR" cab, like some Missions or Matrix, with a great punch and ideal for those who don't feel at ease with FRFR. Can't see why it couldn't be used in every occasion, if the sounds fits your needs. Of course it is - by definition - less linear and transparent than the others you list.
    I tried one, and was impressed with the Profiler.

• DXR and CLR are "FRFR", with the latter being way more linear and transparent than the former. It also exhibits a much more sophisticated diffusion pattern, that makes it ideal on stage.

Red Sound is an "GRFR" cab, with a great punch and ideal for those who don't feel at ease with FRFR. Can't see why it couldn't be used in every occasion, if the sounds fits your needs. Of course it is - by definition - less linear and transparent than the others you list.

all is said here! the rest belongs to each one of us

The Red Sound is an "GRFR" cab, like some Missions or Matrix, with a great punch and ideal for those who don't feel at ease with FRFR. Can't see why it couldn't be used in every occasion, if the sounds fits your needs. Of course it is - by definition - less linear and transparent than the others you list.

Thanks for the nice summary Gianfranco.

• when going the FRFR route, active solutions are more optimized than passive. this is due to the fact that their active electronics and DSP are best suited to the crossovers.

this said, there are good passive linear cabs but the saying "quality comes at a cost" still works. atomic, matrix, mission, xitone do passive FRFR speakers that have good reviews on this forum. I never played any.

I once inquired matrix for a Q12A cause I liked the active & passive possibilities as I own a powered toaster. the matrix guys told me that the KPA sounds significantly better when using the Q12A in active mode. I dropped the idea buying a passive cab

passive "GRFR" is probably the solution with most uncertainties on how it will sound then

• Thanks for the insight.
    I have a powered toaster too, so I'm wondering if it's really worth getting an active box, also given the additional weight...
    You said you haven't played any. Does anybody else here have any direct experience with them?

• I don't think you should fret much when considering buying a passive CLR :)

I mean, once you decide to skip the guitar cab \ linear cab fence you can't be wrong with them, regardless using an external power amp.

:)