backing up all rigs

• My Powerhead still sounds great but I really miss the wide stereo option with two small cabinets. So I think I'm going for a non powered rack version with an all valve amp. So stereo on stage and stereo FOH.I But I never made a back up sofar of all my rigs. Until now I chose a rig from rig manager, hit ENTER on my keyboard and the rig appeared in the Kemper's display. But now for the other way around...! I would like an exact copy of all my rigs for storing them in my computer or rig manager (?). I can't find the right page on Wikpa how to do that. Can anyone show my the way how this works and what I need?

• If you want to transfer the entire memory (rigs, performances, presets, settings) from one KPA to another, you'll want to make a Backup on a USB Stick, and then load that Backup onto the second KPA.

To backup the just the browse mode rigs on your KPA to a Rig Manager folder, select all the rigs in the My Profiler folder of Rig Manger, and "drag and drop" or copy/paste them into the Rig Manager folder.

You can back up your Performances the same way.

• My Powerhead still sounds great but I really miss the wide stereo option with two small cabinets. So I think I'm going for a non powered rack version with an all valve amp. So stereo on stage and stereo FOH.I But I never made a back up sofar of all my rigs. Until now I chose a rig from rig manager, hit ENTER on my keyboard and the rig appeared in the Kemper's display. But now for the other way around...! I would like an exact copy of all my rigs for storing them in my computer or rig manager (?). I can't find the right page on Wikpa how to do that. Can anyone show my the way how this works and what I need?

Have you considered to consult the manuals? This is basic functionality described in the Reference Manual, which we constantly keep up to date and in line with current feature set.

• Yes I know: This is on page 142.
    Creating Backups
    We recommend that you backup your Rigs, Presets, Performances, and settings on a regular basis. To do so, please plug the prepared USB stick into your Profiler, switch into Browse or Performance Mode, hit soft button “External Storage” and chose the “Backup/Restore” option. The backup archive will contain all your Rigs, Performances, Module and Section Presets, MIDI assignments, Snapshots, and global settings. If an older backup is already present on your USB stick, it will not be deleted. Each backup archive gets its unique name. To backup, select the soft button “Backup” and wait until you're notified that the backup has been completed. This procedure can take several minutes. Never remove the USB stick until you're prompted to do so. All successful backups can be found inside a folder called “Backups” on your USB stick.

But it doesn't explain further! When I put a formatted USB in the rear then I can see on the display the lit knob USB PLUGGED. Pressing that knob shows a menu: CHOOSE FROM THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS. OK, I want to choose for option one: backup/restore for complete content and settings.
    BUT WHERE TO CHOOSE??? That isn't explained! Only the EXIT and UNDO knobs are lit....

• ???

Right on that page "Choose from the following options":

Soft button 1 is on and shows "Backup/Restore"
    Soft button 2 is on and shows "Import/Export"
    and Soft Button 4 is on and shows "Format Device"

• Plug in the USB stick when the Kemper is already running, otherwise the Kemper do not recognize that there is a USB stick.. ( edit) : with new Data.

Edited 2 times, last by Sharry ().

• OK. This works. Rig manager is busy to import all of my rigs in My Profiler.Question: If I shut down my KPA when importing is done, would the rigs being kept saved in My Profiler as a total back up?

• I have the answer: NO. When I put the stick in my computer it says that the stick needs to be formmatted! No data! Rig manager MYPROFILER is empty. So this is usesless. Putting the stick again in the KPA I get the message: The stick needs to be formatted. Everything oin the stick wil be lost. So I'm back from where I started.
    The reference manual doesn't tell you that...

• Now I found that I obviously have done it wrong.
    I put my stick again in then KPA which is turned on (like SHARRY mentioned. THANKS for that!) And I had to format again. When this was done I removed the stick and placed it back. AND ONLY NOW I can see the options IMPORTING / EXPORTING RIGS. Never saw this before! What have I done wrong in the whole procedure?

• I have read the reference manual carefully about this issue, but it covers no explanation for this. And now I'm stuck with the fact that every rig appears TWICE in my profiler. Haven't a clue where that comes from....

• I have read the reference manual carefully about this issue, but it covers no explanation for this. And now I'm stuck with the fact that every rig appears TWICE in my profiler. Haven't a clue where that comes from....

I've found the FIVE different manuals pretty much useless and extremely poorly written. I've found this forum to be far more helpful than the manuals. In my experience, the manuals are great for telling you WHAT the Kemper can do, but do a horrible job of explaining HOW to do it.

• I'm glad at least someone shares my point of view. Is it too much said that this great forum (!) would not exist if everything about the Kemper was crystal clear explained in the manuals?

Still I'm stuck now with every rig twice in my KPA after backing up on stick.

• Still I'm stuck now with every rig twice in my KPA after backing up on stick.

For me it is not really clear what and how big is your problem.
    How much Rigs do you have on your KPA. (Not the factory Rigs)
    You can sort the Rigs according names in the RM and delete each second RIG.

• Hi SHARRY. I have 600 to my convenience... Ik know too much but then I have a lot to choose from and also for tweaking. I have about 100 under my feet with a Roland FC 200 midi controller in an very unconvential way: I have a rig for verse sound and another rig for solo sound for the same song which I both assign to two midi numbers on my controller. It;s sometimes tapdancing....Maybe I'm better off with the remote.

Fortunately I now have found out there's no need to delete every second rig separately. I used pressing the RIG button and BROWSER mode at the same time, while holding the RIG button for at least 30 seconds. Every double rig is gone now :)