Suggestion that will save the hearing of us In-Ear users.

• I often have the problem that the difference in rhythm lead volumes might have to be as much as 4 or 5 db in certain venues and constellations. BUT when playing with inears that difference is really annoying. I sacrifice my ears and playing comfort because the difference is what is required. So in my in-ears often end up with being to quiet in rhythm sections and too loud for comfort when i play solo.

Here is my suggestion. The Headphone out should be capable of reducing the difference in rig volumes. It could be done by having a percentage control in the output menu. As an example if the percentage was set to 50% a difference in 5 db on the main outs would only be 2,5 db in the headphone out.

I am being totally serious when i say that i will pay you to implement this feature!!!!!! Name your price. 200 euro, 300 or whatever i will pay you!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• Sounds like a great, practical suggestion, Kim.

Given how many folks use their Kempers live, I'd say that the team really should have a proper look at this.

It might even have practical uses for the main outs, such as when browsing Rigs in RM or wherever, IMHO.

• I often have the problem that the difference in rhythm lead volumes might have to be as much as 4 or 5 db in certain venues and constellations.

Are you sure that amount of lead boost is needed out front? And if so, why would it be different in your in-ears? I'm also a live engineer, and I can tell you that I just about always have to turn down the leads of guitarists that boost them more than 2-3 dB :P

• That's the point, isn't it? Just about always? Not always. Sometimes it's just different on stage.

Kim can't easily do what you do out at the FOH position - that is to say, turn the lead sounds down if necessary, and for that matter, rhythm parts up when required.

The idea, I guess, is that he could make a judgement early on or during soundcheck as to how much his level variances need to be brought back to equality, and dial in the appropriate percentage.

Hope I didn't sound rude or patronising, Trazan. I'm an AE too, and I totally get where you're coming from. I'm just trying to put myself in Kim's shoes. Cheers mate. ;)

• Are you sure that amount of lead boost is needed out front? And if so, why would it be different in your in-ears? I'm also a live engineer, and I can tell you that I just about always have to turn down the leads of guitarists that boost them more than 2-3 dB :P

The operative words here being "in certain constellations and venues".
    When you play in a power trio i don't need much boost. But if i play in a setting with two guitarists two keyboard players etc you need much more boost since the rhythm parts cannot be very loud.

• That's the point, isn't it? Just about always? Not always. Sometimes it's just different on stage.Kim can't easily do what you do out at the FOH position - that is to say, turn the lead sounds down if necessary, and for that matter, rhythm parts up when required.The idea, I guess, is that he could make a judgement early on or during soundcheck as to how much his level variances need to be brought back to equality, and dial in the appropriate percentage.Hope I didn't sound rude or patronising, Trazan. I'm an AE too, and I totally get where you're coming from. I'm just trying to put myself in Kim's shoes. Cheers mate. ;)

Ok, it's always if it is going from yer regular lead boost on a distorted guitar in a band context :P Could be different if it's an orchestra/large ensemble/show etc. But yeah, when different balancing than presented to the audience is needed, I can see the problem. However, how would the Kemper know a rig's loudness? It is not necessarily a matter of rig volume. There is frequency content, different guitars etc.

Come to think of it...you can control Monitor out via midi CC#, no? I believe you can control the Main out too. He could then program a separate level boost on an output when needed.

• Ok, it's always if it is going from yer regular lead boost on a distorted guitar in a band context :P Could be different if it's an orchestra/large ensemble/show etc. But yeah, when different balancing than presented to the audience is needed, I can see the problem. However, how would the Kemper know a rig's loudness? It is not necessarily a matter of rig volume. There is frequency content, different guitars etc.

Come to think of it...you can control Monitor out via midi CC#, no? I believe you can control the Main out too. He could then program a separate level boost on an output when needed.

Lets just say i have 30 years of pro gigging behind me, and i am well known for having great sound and ALWAYS perfect balances.

• Yes, ok ;)

You can easily control the Monitor output separately via midi CC#73. If you need to control the Main out you have to use NRPN...and somebody other than me would be better at explaining that!

• Yes, ok ;)

You can easily control the Monitor output separately via midi CC#73. If you need to control the Main out you have to use NRPN...and somebody other than me would be better at explaining that!

I'm sorry but that is not really a usable solution for several reasons.

1 - i would have to fiddle with a volume pedal everytime i go into a lead sound. (My pet peeve, guitarists that use the first four bars of a solo dialing in a solo level and ruining the start of their solo because of it)
    2 - It still wouldn't be scalable.
    3 - The monitor out is not stereo.

• I'm sorry but that is not really a usable solution for several reasons.

1 - i would have to fiddle with a volume pedal everytime i go into a lead sound. (My pet peeve, guitarists that use the first four bars of a solo dialing in a solo level and ruining the start of their solo because of it)
    2 - It still wouldn't be scalable.
    3 - The monitor out is not stereo.

Then it could be done using NRPN. You don't need a volume pedal. You could program a fixed boost of say 2 dB just to the Main out, initiated on program change or by an IA switch. You'd need a controller that supports it though.

• However, how would the Kemper know a rig's loudness? It is not necessarily a matter of rig volume. There is frequency content, different guitars etc.

I doesn't need to know, Trazan.

Let's say that Kim's used to using his rhythm Rigs at level 6, and his leads at level 8 (set using the Rig-volume knob to the right of the KPA's screen), but for whatever reason (more young gals screaming at the gig than usual, for instance!), he can't hear his rhythm tones (set similarly for each song, level-wise), whilst his leads, coupled with all that screaming, are too much to bear (high-frequency assault).

Solution? Dial in a 50% value, meaning that the discrepancy is narrowed (normalled) by 50%. This would take the rhythm parts up to volume 6.5, and the leads down to 7.5. If he dialled in 100%, the rhythm would go from 6 to 7, and the leads from 8 to 7; they'd be equal. 50% takes them half-way there.

I think you may have been taking "perceived volume" into account, but I believe Kim's not asking for the KPA to be able to do this - only to flatten / squash / narrow the gap between his loudest rigs, as set with the Rig volume knob, and his softest.

I may have completely misunderstood him too, of course!

• I think you may have been taking "perceived volume" into account, but I believe Kim's not asking for the KPA to be able to do this - only to flatten / squash / narrow the gap between his loudest rigs, as set with the Rig volume knob, and his softest.

I may have completely misunderstood him too, of course!

No, I don't think you misunderstood 8) I can appreciate that, in order to monitor the weaker parts better, one doesn't need the same amount of boost for louder parts. But rig volume doesn't necessarily equal loudness...so how about those rigs that need a higher/lower rig volume? I'm just saying this normalling may have undesirable results (though one could of course then balance the rigs with amplifier volume instead to keep all unboosted rigs at 5).

Level can be set with CC#73 for the Monitor out, so maybe a request for a CC# for Main out level too would be a good idea :thumbup:

• Trazan. No because it would not be a global setting. And monitor out still is not stereo. Furthermore i like to have a bit of headphone space in the in ears but not on any other outputs. Så the scaleable volume should be on the headphone jack.
    you are correct that rig volume does not always equal loudness BUT if you are very experienced with guitar setups and know what you are doing (as i do) it will get you very close to perfect. And though scalable volume on the headphone out might not be scientifically correct it will get me very much in the ballpark. And in ear playing comfort will be MUCH improved.

to the team. 500€ i will donate to your christmas lunch if you code this feature. NOT kidding!!!

Edited once, last by Kim_Olesen ().

• I'd still suggest that you investigate into programming a boost to the Main out with NRPN midi for now! 8) That way you can keep the preferred boost in your in-ears and add some extra dB's to the Main outs.

• Have you ever played with in ears people?
    and no a comp/limiter would certainly not do the job. It would mess with the dynamics og my playing and with reverb/delay tails too. The playing would feel different to what comes out of the foh.

• Have you ever played with in ears people?
    and no a comp/limiter would certainly not do the job. It would mess with the dynamics og my playing and with reverb/delay tails too. The playing would feel different to what comes out of the foh.

When you change the volumes with a pedal you are changing the dynamics too. A limiter cuts the peaks and doesn't mess with your reverb tails, it is different from a compressor.
    Anyway, as I said, an overall lower volume would save your ears and your dynamics.

• Ofcourse a limiter messes with the tails. Even more so than a comp. A limiter is a comp that has a ratio that is set to infinite. As soon as i release a note the tails would become louder.
    And i don't want my peaks limited in my inears. I want the difference between rhythm and lead sounds to be less than in the foh. But apart from that the sound should be unaltered. A limiter would make me play different since it would take out the dynamics.
    Listen, i know you are trying to be helpful, but i do this for a living and know what i am talking about.