Rig Manager For Google Chrome?

• The chrome-browser is gradually being extended and is planned to eventually support the entire android API. An app could thus theoretically be built to work across just about any platform. There is however an issue with communications as the browser may not have direct access to USB-communications the way an app has on a native android-device. The KPA does support IP-networking on its network port which could be used as an alternative form of communications but this may conflict with the remote. In theory it should be trivial to insert an Ethernet-switch/WiFi-AP between the KPA and the remote to connect more devices but this may fail horribly if the communications between the KPA and the remote relies on an ad-hoc peer2peer configuration.

• Are you sure for this or do you think because of the connectors?

The fact that the remote has no power supply means: the network plug "abuses" on of the leads for power. This is not common in standard IP cableing. Could be one of the evidences...

Ne travaillez jamais.

• The fact that the remote has no power supply means: the network plug "abuses" on of the leads for power. This is not common in standard IP cableing. Could be one of the evidences.

My first guess would be some kind of MIDI ore a serial port incl. power supply. I do not expect a fast protocol.

• Are you sure for this or do you think because of the connectors?

Before I got the KPA remote I did some testing with mye Kemper head connected to my home network. It worked happily as a DHCP client on my subnet and host scanning on the net indicated that it may run some form of windows-like protocol stack. At that time (3.0 beta) it had an active web-server and it was serving up a web-app that would emulate the controls and display of the remote.

There is no doubt that the KPA implements standard IEEE 802.3 ethernet and that it is capable of running IP. My concern wrt coexistence with other nodes on a network has to do with how the KPA and the remote assign IP-addresses and whether they are capable of locating each-other on a LAN with variable addressing. I would have to hook them up with my sniffer to examine the traffic and determine which methods are used.

The fact that the remote has no power supply means: the network plug "abuses" on of the leads for power. This is not common in standard IP cableing. Could be one of the evidences...

The KPA is using a completely standard PoE (power over ethernet) implementation. There are two methods for supplying power over ethernet (limited to in 15.4W in PoE and 25.5W in PoE+) that both have been part of the IEEE 802.3 standard since 2003.

Edited 4 times, last by heldal ().

• The KPA is using a completely standard PoE (power over ethernet) implementation.

Wow, thanks. Good to know!

I wished the recently installed IP-security-cameras would have used that. They sold me a "special" ethernet cable, which has a separate power plug on both ends :(

Ne travaillez jamais.

• Hi all thanks for your replies. To be honest a lot of the computer tech stuff is way beyond me. the computer im using is a google chrome book, so meant the rig manager download where you can see more info about the profile as well as editing the kemper at same time. (when i say editing i mean making rigs favourites or deleting them) I'm guessing that i'm right in thinking what your saying is (in basic terms) is that there would be possible interference between the rig manager on the google chromebook and the kemper remote if you use one?

• I was wondering if, with the new RM release, there is any chance of also releasing it for other OSs, like ChromeOS, Linux or Android. I'd be very interested in a ChromeOS version (but recent chromebooks also run Linux and Android apps, so any out of the three would probably do).