No reaction to MIDI-Programchanges in Performance Mode

• Hello!

I tried to use the Profiler (OS version 4.0.6) with a Rocktron MIDI-Mate in performance-mode but it seems like somethings not set up correctly...

The Profiler doesn't react to any program-change I send in performance-mode. At first I thought it might be the MIDI-controller, but in browser-mode everything is working. I also can't find any further MIDI-settings than the ones in the system-settings like the "channels mode: omni" and the options for controlling external devices via MIDI-output.

As it works in browser-mode, I can exclude a incorrect wiring or a defect in the MIDI-board.

Has anyone an idea why my Profiler doesn't read the program-changes?
    Did I miss something?

Kind regards
    Christian

• In performance mode your controller needs to send a CC (50-54) to select the different performance rigs, not a patch change as you might have in Browse mode.

I should also add that you can use midi program changes. You will see that bank 1 -1 is midi program 1 ( could also be program zero depending on controller). Bank 1-2 is midi program 2, etc...
    So the midi numbers will/could be different than what you have in Browse mode.

In Performance mode you are recalling the performance slot and not the amp. In Browse mode you are recalling amp rig.

I do do find that there is a lot of lag in switching in performance mode with midi.

One more thing. Make sure you have an amp inserted into the slot you are trying to recall.

Edited once, last by drog ().

• Well I'm not sure in which settings of the MIDI-board to look after the correct numbers, but:
    As mentioned, when I send program changes in browsermode it works, and the numbers fit the ones on the MIDI-board. Whatever, I tried every single PC on my board to make sure it's not "offset" (offset like: showing 1 - sending 0).

@drog: before the KPA I used a setup with an amp and a TC-Electronic G-Major 2.
    The G-Major was set to react to program changes that came from my MIDI-Mate. I changed nothing on my MIDI-board, so it should send PCs in the lower buttons-row and CCs in the upper row.

What I try to say with that: If I am really sending patch changes instead of program changes, the wording on both devices (KPA & G-Major) would be wrong, because in the system-settings of the KPA (in Browser) show the value I need to send under Browser PrgChg, which means program change - right?

Can you explain the difference between patch and program changes to me? I worked with program changes and control changes, but I do not know what a patch change is. In the reference manual of the Kemper it is not explained and the manual of my MIDI-mate is english using very long sentences which are difficult to understand for me... I only speak a little english. :whistling:

• Not sure about this. I have a very simple controller and if I send PC#3 for example, it will select performance 1-4. If I send PC#24, it will select performance 5-5. Basically, like paults said, the performance slots are mapped to midi PC#0-127 (or #1-128, depending on your controller). As a result, if you are unable to send bank select messages, you can only access a limited number of performances. But it should work in performance mode as well as browse mode.

@schmidtianer I suggest you look into what midi messages you are sending again, my hint is that you are not sending the messages you think you are.

• I use the Midi-Mate in ControllerMode. This mode sends PCs by pressing the buttons 0 - 4 and CCs by pressing the buttons 5 - 9. I tried every mode, bank and button.

But - compared with BrowserMode:
    I have assigned different PCs to some rigs in BrowserMode, to confirm that the PC#s are correct. As I said in my first post: The PCs are send correctly and the KPA reacts to them - but only in BrowserMode. In PerformanceMode I can see the correct Icon " # " in the display when I send a PC, but it does not change any performance regardless of which PC I send.

Why does the KPA react to the PCs I send in BrowserMode but ignore them PerformanceMode? The messages I send are not edited, or changed - the only thing that is different ist the mode at the KPA - so I don't think it's a problem with the Midi-Mate.

• But - compared with BrowserMode:

I have assigned different PCs to some rigs in BrowserMode, to confirm that the PC#s are correct. As I said in my first post: The PCs are send correctly and the KPA reacts to them - but only in BrowserMode. In PerformanceMode I can see the correct Icon " # " in the display when I send a PC, but it does not change any performance regardless of which PC I send.

Why does the KPA react to the PCs I send in BrowserMode but ignore them PerformanceMode? The messages I send are not edited, or changed - the only thing that is different ist the mode at the KPA - so I don't think it's a problem with the Midi-Mate.

wait, so you see the program number change when you hit the different controller buttons? But you say the rigs do not change? Or are they not what you expect? Did you select the rigs in performance mode, make sure you save it before you try to recall anything? You need to load the rigs you want into the blank performance slots.

• paults: Yes, your example for performance 1, slot 1-5 is correct (but it is the same in every performance). It ignores the PCs in performanceMode. They work correctly in BrowserMode, but not in performanceMode.

and drog: yes I see the # icon in the KPA-display when I hit the PC-button (so the KPA reads the PC). but regardless which number I send (I tried all PCs), it does not change any performance in performance mode.

• I'm having a lot of trouble controlling the Kemper with a Line 6 Helix (my plan is to use the Helix for it's effects, switching, and it's expression pedal, and use the Kemper's amps, compressors, and gate). I already had the Helix, so, it makes sense to use it as a foot controller...but, the midi is hurting my head. Any help would be really appreciated!
    It gives a lot of options for control: MIDI CC - with the following controls - MIDI CC, CC#, and Value
    CC Toggle (pretty sure this isn't what I need)
    Bank/Prog - with the following controls - MIDI CH, Bank CC00, Bank CC32, Program
    It has other controls, but, those are for amp switching and note velocity and such.
    Thanks,
    Scott.

Sent from an iPhone I found by the river.