Mysterious Ways on a Kemper?

• I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this, or will be the last, but has anyone got a close approximation of The Edge's Korg A3 sound entirely on a Kemper?

I had a Boss GT10 before the Kemper and of course the Kemper is awesome and the Boss was pretty crummy, but...

I managed to get a pretty decent Mysterious Ways patch on the Boss, but after an hour or so on the Kemper, I can't really get anything that sounds even close, which is really annoying as I have a Rickenbacker now so I am itching to do a version of it again as the first time I did it on a Gretsch :)

Any help would be appreciated.

• I don't know that song,but you have to separate AMP tone and FXs and work on both :

If you still have the pedal or original korg gear , you should try profiling it

The FX parts will have to be done from scratch using internal KPA's FX, or using loop slot with an outboard set of pedals.

• I'm not a pro for tone matching, but maybe @paults could help you. He has made some rigs with shimmer effects. The Edge uses normaly lot of different delay settings. Could be achieveable now with the possibility to set in more than one delay in Kemper FX chain.

Have you searched the Rig Exchange for U2. There are some Rigs for other U2 songs. This could be a good starting point.

• Hi,
    If I were to have a go at that kind of rig , I'd use TAF Ac30 (the custom shop one) then perhaps use a bit of green scream or treble boost to add some bite.
    I agree with @paults that the touch Wah is required. I read an article about the way the A3 auto Wah used to gate the sound slightly which gave the sound it's choppy rhythmic quality.
    I also think there might be a bit if of phaser in the mix too, which helps pick up the lower frequencies after the Wah gates. Listen to the original track, there's a kind of 'whumph' sound at beat three and four of every bar during the main guitar part.
    Perhaps Monkey Man might have some Wah settings for the A3. He has virtually every conceivable Wah in the Wah settings thread. He might chimp into this!
    I too used to get quite close with a GT 10 in FX terms but not the Amp tone of course. Not really tried to do this sound on my Kemper yet.
    I hope this helps
    Cheers
    Pre-Amp

• Thanks for the advice guys.

Pre-Amp, the amp model on the Boss was poor but as that MW sound is so affected (effect-ed?), it didn't seem to matter.

That 'whumph' sound is a key part of it, and so far I've not got anywhere near that.

I have the Eric Geurts AC30HW2 profiles which I was using as a base for this but I do have the TAF AC30 and AC30HW profiles so might try them as well.

• I hadn't seen that thread Peter, as I was searching for 'Mysterious Ways' so it never came up in the search.

He's got some pretty amazing profiles going there. As he's done all those but not a Mysterious ways one, I wonder if that's a clue that it maybe can't be done on a Kemper?

• If you listen You hear that the 'whomp' part comes from the delay 'side' of the sound.
    I tried to emulate it by using the parallel path option in the rig. But only having 2 slots then, one for the delay and the other to create the whole 'whomp' sound is a bit limiting.

Here is a rig to demonstrate the principle, and no, it's not a real attempt to really recreate Edges sound.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.…016-10-02%2012-50-51.kipr (now updated with a wha...)

Edited once, last by Janne ().

• Thanks Janne, I had a little play with that. I've had a few more plays with the Kemper but so far I've not got anything close enough to be acceptable.

• At some point I'll have go at this sound and see what I can do to get near it . Not sure when that will be yet! Ring modulator is an interesting idea. Never thought to use one but it might be just the ticket.
    Cheers
    Pre-Amp

• its not 100% bit I've think I've got it reasonably close here.
    A 3 gain ac30 patch boosted with a green scream with just a 1 gain.
    Put a light flanges effect in the pre amp stomps and place a high pass auto wah in the post amp effects. the settings that seem to get as close as the kemper can get, for me anyway and that work well with pick attack are
    0 manual
    5.4 peak
    80% pedal range
    0% PEAK RANGE
    Touch mode
    0 stereo
    85 mix
    0 ducking
    2.9 attack
    2.6 touch release
    2.4 boost

To me, that's close enough to warrant not spending 150 quid on a discumbobulator pedal, see what u think