Active Monitors Volume

• Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

When using active monitors with the Kemper – what volume ratio should I be aiming for? Low volume on the speakers (knobs on the back) and high master volume on the Kemper? Opposite? Or somewhere in the middle? Just in terms of best practice.

Thanks!

G

• Best practice for decades in the analogue world has been hot outs -> trimmed inputs, in the interests of maintaining the best possible S/N ratio. In reality this usually meant 70-80% of full volume on outputs, 'cause they tended to become slightly-dirty and noisier in the top 20% or so of their ranges.

In this more-modern world, output amps on synths and outboard gear such as the Kemper tend not to suffer from this obvious non-linearity, meaning that one can usually crank them to 100%, the only limitation being whether or not your input destinations can handle the heat, so to speak.

So, if your monitors show no sign of being overloaded at their inputs by the Kemper when it's cranked all the way (either visually or according to your ears), I'd start there.