Speaker for kemper

• Many modern Cabs are powered and have XLR. Thats not the point. Try to get a frequency data sheet to see
    if it is the right stuff for Kemper.
    Like often discussed in the forum the important point ist FRFR (Full Range and Full Response). And as you can
    imagine the subwoofer you have suggested cannot have Full Range because it is a Subwoofer.
    The Kemper has a digital Cab Emulation and therefore the connected cab has to be very neutral and a great bandwith.

• Hello ! I was wondering if the Roland KCW could be used as a speaker/cab for the KPA? The roland had a 200w built in power amp and xlr input so I was thinking that I could use it for my kemper ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Here is the link:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c…CW_1_200W_10_Powered.html

Pursuant to @hal2000 advice, I completely agree...the Roland KCW that you linked to is NOT an appropriate speaker for use with the KPA. You want to connect your KPA to either one of the following two speaker types:

1) A Full Range, Flat Response (FRFR) type monitor/speaker ==> enabling the KPA's Cabinet Module. An FRFR monitor/speaker is typically 2-way. That is, it employs both a main driver (woofer) and a high frequency (HF) "tweeter". These two speaker components can be mounted separately in the monitor cabinet, or on the same axis, in a coaxial arrangement, in which the HF driver is located in the center of the main driver cone. Examples of the former are the Yamaha DXR series, the Electro-Voice ZLX series, the QSC K10/K12, Alto TS2 series, etc. Examples of the latter are the XiTone wedge (available in both passive and powered versions) and the Atomic CLR.

2) A traditional guitar cabinet ==> disabling the KPA's Cabinet Module. Of course, this assumes you have either a powered KPA or an external power amp of some sort.

Cheers,
    John

• Hello and thanks for the reply ! The unit has a frequency knob going from 1 to 120hz. Sorry I don't know much about speakers used for devices suck as the KPA.
    Thanks.

No worries, that is what we are here for.

Keep in mind that an electric guitar has a typical frequency range of 80 through 1500 Hz (1.5 kHz), with harmonic overtones going even higher. A traditional guitar speaker (e.g., single 12" speaker cone) has a natural HF roll-off beginning typically around 3 kHz.

The point of the FRFR type speaker/monitor is to cover a wide frequency range (e.g. 70 Hz through 18 kHz) with a very flat frequency response. The cabinet simulations, which is part of the KPA profiling amp, recreate the unique frequency response and HF roll-off that is a signature characteristic of guitar cabinet/speaker systems...and can contribute the majority of the "tone" that a guitar amp is famous for.

• Thanks a ton ! Its helped me out alot !
    Someone I know was selling the unit for a cheap price but obviously it's not useful for my needs :)
    The Yamaha DXR10 looks quite good but the Friedman ASM does too. It seems like the friedman has more low end but it also costs twice as much. I was wondering if there would be a big difference when hearing them in person. I play alot of metal but also other genres too.

• Thanks a ton ! Its helped me out alot !
    Someone I know was selling the unit for a cheap price but obviously it's not useful for my needs :)
    The Yamaha DXR10 looks quite good but the Friedman ASM does too. It seems like the friedman has more low end but it also costs twice as much. I was wondering if there would be a big difference when hearing them in person. I play alot of metal but also other genres too.

I own a powered KPA rack, so I use a XiTone passive (non-powered) 1x12 wedge. The XiTone wedge is amazing, and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. They also offer an active (powered) 1x12 wedge, if you have a regular, non-powered KPA. Here is a link to XiTone website:

XiTone cabinets

I would also recommend, without hesitation, the Yamaha DXR10, which get's a lot of praise and love, here on the Kemper Forum.

I do not have any personal experience with the Friedman ASM. However, it is an FRFR monitor that would be suitable for use with the Kemper.

If you are looking for a good quality, budget solution for a powered (active) FRFR monitor, you might also want to check the Alto TS212:

Alto TS212

Cheers,
    John

• The Roland KCW-1 is a sub woofer and is meant to be paired with the Roland KC350 or KC-550. I use a Roland KC350 and it sounds great with the Kemper, especially with a sub added.

• Thanks again ! Really helpful yet again ! The Xitone seems good. I'd have to get anew active one as I use a non powered KPA.
    I've got a list now so I'll have to chose between which one suits me best :)

And thank you Drog for the information :)

• the DXR seems a good choice for me because it seems to have more bass than the dxr10.
    How does the active EV ZLX12 compare to the DXR ? Or even to other FRFR's?

Hello Cruzer,

Well, if you are currently focusing on either the Yammy or the E-V, I would personally go with the Yammy. IMHO, the make a superior product and have fantastic after-market service and support.

Perhaps @Ingolf might chime in here. I believe he has experience / ownership of both a Yamaha DXR10 as well as the Atomic CLR. But I still might recommend you at least speak with Mick at XiTone regarding their active (powered) 1x12 Wedge. At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with the Yamaha, the XiTone, or the Atomic CLR. It might simply come down to your budget, and the availability of the products.

I imagine that the major online music stores should have the Yammy DXR10 or DXR12 in stock. I do not know about current availability and/or lead-time for the XiTone or CLR. It might also depend on your location. If you are in the USA, like myself, then the after-market support for any of these monitors shouldn't be an issue. However, if you are in Europe or the UK, then the global service and support of Yamaha might be more of an advantageous factor to consider. XiTone and Atomic Amps are USA-based companies, and they do not have the global resources of a corporation such as Yamaha. If you were only looking at a passive (non-powered) monitor, then I wouldn't personally be too concerned with aftermarket service and support. However, since you are going with an active monitor, this issue might be of greater concern / importance, due to the onboard electronics and amplification.

...just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
    John

Edited once, last by Tritium ().

• Thanks again !
    So I've narrowed it down to either the DXR10 and the DXR12. Can the DXR10 deal with high gain well with lower tunings compared to the DXR12 ? If it can then I think I'll go with that because how convient it is.
    Thanks for all your replies :)

• Hi. I have experience with the DXR 10, the EV ZLX12, and the Atomic CLR.
    The Atomic is the most neutral of them all, the Yammy has a nice slight pronounciation in the mids which can be helpful on busy stages and also to make the paradigm shift to FRFR which is difficult for quite some guitar players.
    The EV ZLX is the weakest of them IMO, I have long sold it. It is more like a giant hifi box with exaggerated bass and treble. nothing you can't dial out though.

Concerning lower tunings: The DXR 10 goes down to 54 Hz.