[RZ] Direct Bundle - 54 amps - 2019 update (free update)

• I'll chip in here.. I have the direct pack and am very glad I purchased. Lots of variety, great quality and gets better over time. I run mine with Till's Cablab now I'm FRFR and I'm a very happy camper..

Si

• I'm seriously considering grabbing the Direct Bundle, but I want to make sure that I'm not missing anything. Is it that I buy the bundle, download the profiles, and play them through my FRFR without doing anything else, or are there further steps that I have to take in the actual Kemper? Forgive my ignorance, I've had my Kemper for some time but I'm still learning the ropes (I certainly don't know the difference between a 'merged profile' and a 'direct profile'). I'd appreciate any help :D

• I'm seriously considering grabbing the Direct Bundle, but I want to make sure that I'm not missing anything. Is it that I buy the bundle, download the profiles, and play them through my FRFR without doing anything else, or are there further steps that I have to take in the actual Kemper? Forgive my ignorance, I've had my Kemper for some time but I'm still learning the ropes (I certainly don't know the difference between a 'merged profile' and a 'direct profile'). I'd appreciate any help :D

Wizard,

Please read pages 28 thru 34 of the Kemper Reference Manual, which can be downloaded here:

Deeper View and Reference Manual 5.1

While the following is no substitute for reading the Reference Manual, I wrote this brief summary explaining the difference between a Studio, Direct Amp, and a Merged Profile format, which was in response to a question in a different thread:
    -------------------------------------------------

Merged profile = (Studio Profile + Direct Amp Profile).

In other words, the Merged profile contains the "Studio" profile. The only difference, is that with a Merged profile, one is able to accurately subtract and separate the "Direct Amp" profile (which does not contain the mic'd cabinet), from the the full "Studio" profile, which is a combination of both.

Prior to the development and release of the "Merged" Profile format, the Kemper relied on an intelligent algorithm known as "Cab Driver", which calculates the portion of the normal (Studio) profile which represents the contribution of the reference cabinet. When you disable the Cabinet module, the Cab Driver algorithm is implemented, and it automatically subtracts the cabinet from the direct amp. While the Cab Driver algorithm works amazingly well...it is still a bit of a compromise in terms of absolute authenticity. With the introduction of the 3.X firmware, the Merged Profile format provides the KPA with the ability distinguish and separate the "Amp" from the "Cabinet and Microphone" portions of the audio signal with 100% accuracy, and with no compromise.

As an example, if you are playing a Merged profile, then you are getting the full and complete presentation of the "Studio" profile, which includes the reference cabinet and microphone. However, if you physically disable the "Cabinet" module...then you simply get the "Direct Amp" (no cabinet, no microphone) profile.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you plan on using ReampZone's Direct Amp profiles through your FRFR monitor, you would simply copy one of your favorite Cabinet profiles (e.g., a Cabinet preset or a favorite Cabinet from another rig) onto one of the Direct Amp profiles, and you are good to go. You will be amazed at how changing and demoing different Cabinets will affect the tone of a given amp profile.

Your best solution is to grab a Cabinet from a MERGED profile. There are a couple of free Kemper Factory Rig Packs that feature MERGED profiles. Also, I recommend you check out Till's CabLab pack, which can be purchased here:

https://www.tillschleicher.com/tills-cablab/

Cheers,
    John

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().

• Thank you for the direction, this is helpful. So my next question is, regarding the direct profiles found in this bundle, would I need to hunt down some quality cab modules (I'm not big on the ones that came present in the kemper) in order to reproduce the tones made by the artists demoing the profiles on the Reampzone website? The manual made it sound like direct profiles will sound good and accurate as long as you don't color them with any additional gain, etc. Am I correct with this?

EDIT
    Just saw the bit about grabbing from a Merged profile. I did some experimenting with this a little while ago and I did find that cabs from the merged profiles sounded different (not better or worse) than the cabs with the same name that came standard on the kemper. For example, I like to use the cab called "Pancake" off of a merged profile that I found on the Rig Exchange, but that particular "Pancake" sounds different on a given profile than the "Pancake" that comes standard on the Kemper. Am I doing something wrong, or is it possible that the creator of the Merged profile did something to manipulate the "Pancake" cab module?

• Thank you for the direction, this is helpful. So my next question is, regarding the direct profiles found in this bundle, would I need to hunt down some quality cab modules (I'm not big on the ones that came present in the kemper) in order to reproduce the tones made by the artists demoing the profiles on the Reampzone website? The manual made it sound like direct profiles will sound good and accurate as long as you don't color them with any additional gain, etc. Am I correct with this?
    EDIT
    Just saw the bit about grabbing from a Merged profile. I did some experimenting with this a little while ago and I did find that cabs from the merged profiles sounded different (not better or worse) than the cabs with the same name that came standard on the kemper. For example, I like to use the cab called "Pancake" off of a merged profile that I found on the Rig Exchange, but that particular "Pancake" sounds different on a given profile than the "Pancake" that comes standard on the Kemper. Am I doing something wrong, or is it possible that the creator of the Merged profile did something to manipulate the "Pancake" cab module?

Hello Wizard,

In order to address the issue/question you added in your 2nd paragraph (edit), the following information may be of help to you. This was a response I had written to help someone in another thread, and it explains the importance of the Cabinet profile/simulation, and just how much it contributes to the over-all tone of your amp.:

-------------------------------------------------------
    Your traditional guitar cabinet (any traditional guitar cabinet) has a SUBSTANTIAL impact on the final tone of any Tube Amp + Cabinet combination. It is not an exaggeration to state that the connected guitar cabinet can contribute up to 3/4 (75%) of the final tone.

So, what does this mean in the real world?

Well, if you hook up a Fender Bassman head to a 4x12 Marshall Cabinet, you are going to get a RADICALLY different tone than if you connected the Bassman to the standard Fender Bassman 4x10 cab. Likewise, if you were to take a Fender Deluxe Reverb combo, disconnect the internal speaker, and rewire the amp output to a Marshall cabinet, you are going to get something that sounds nothing like a Fender Deluxe Reverb. I am not saying it won't be a real cool sound...just nothing like what you are expecting.

The bottom line is that any given tube amp is closely associated with the cabinet it is normally matched with.

Along the same lines, you could line up 5 radically different high gain "metal" tube amps, set for high gain tones, and demo each of them through the SAME cabinet (by using a switching system). You probably would be surprised at the results...what before were clear differences, when played through individual cabinets, become close to indistinguishable, when played through the exact same cabinet.

What this all shows is how incredibly important the Cabinet makes in the equation: Tube Amp + Cab = Unique Tone

So, this all goes back to the importance and benefits of a true FRFR cab monitor, and why it leverages the power of the Kemper to it's best advantage. When you play your KPA through an FRFR monitor, you are getting the true, uncolored recreation and representation of the original reference amp + reference cab, captured in the Studio or Merged Profile. This is because the FRFR cabinet is neutrally and transparently reproducing the full frequency range of the profile, which includes the unique HF roll-off that occurs in the reference cabinet that has been mic'd, during the making of the profile.

This is also the reason you always want to disable the Cabinet Module (Cabinet Simulation) when connecting your KPA to a physical, traditional guitar cabinet. A cabinet simulation recreates the characteristic HF roll-off that occurs in a given guitar speaker. With the KPA, during the profiling process, the exact frequency response of the mic'd reference cabinet is uniquely captured, and authentically reproduced in the resulting profile. If you left the Cabinet Sim active, you would be getting 2 sequential chains of HF frequency roll-off. The first occurs in the Cabinet Sim, the second occurs naturally through the physical characteristics of the traditional guitar speaker (that is what it is designed to do). So, you are effectively going through two stages of EQ filtering...and the result will typically sound like complete muddy crap.

On the other hand, if you do turn off the KPA's cab module (deactivate the Cab profile/sim), and play through a traditional guitar cabinet...then you will find that many of the amp/rigs will tend to sound very similar...because your physical guitar cabinet is the main contributor to the final tone. This is avoided with a FRFR monitor, because of they way it is designed to reproduce the full frequency range with a neutral, flat response.

Bottom line, the FRFR solution is the only way to fly, if you want to get the greatest diversity of amp tones out of your Kemper. Note that this takes nothing away from those who enjoy a particular (if limited tonal pallete) when connecting their KPA to a traditional guitar cabinet.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Wizard, could you be more specific about the particular "Pancake" cabinet profile you grabbed from the Rig Exchange. Do you have any more details (e.g. name, author, date). I just booted up Rig Manager, and searched for "Pancake", and I got three (3) hits. None of them, however, were MERGED profiles.

Let me know, and then I can be of more specific help.

Cheers,
    John

• If your using one of my packs then its best to merge from one of the studio profiles over the directs but if you're able to load an IR in a KPA format with the DIRECT (cab for merging- no inherited head characteristics) then that's good.

value for money is in the pack thats obvious just make sure to get the best usage of it because all the amps can be overwhelming.

• That information did clear up a number of things for me, thank you. To you later point, I've been searching around the Rig Exchange and I can't seem to find the original merged profile that I was messing with the make the sound I am currently using. I found a single profile from the same author, and it may have actually been the foundation that I manipulated to make my current sound. Honestly at this point I'm willing to chalk the issue up to something I unknowingly did with the preamp settings to make the cab sound different from its default (if that's even possible). I'll certainly keep looking and let you know if I find anything. Either way though, I think I have a better understanding of what I needed to know earlier.

My main thing is right now I want to just start from scratch and build some presets off of rigs with reliable quality (no disrespect to the Rig Exchange contributors, but the stuff I find on there is hit or miss to my ears). I'm really intrigued by the Mesa Dual Recto Direct Profile specifically in this Reampzone bundle. What I am wondering next is if it is necessary for me to purchase the merged profiles from Till's Cablab in order to get the proper cab modules to use with those direct profiles, or can I just take the cab module from a merged profile off Rig Exchange that uses those same cabs? I'm not looking to shortcut anything or shortchange anyone, I'm just curious if this is something that can/should be done.

My guess is it would be wise to first buy the direct profiles I want, then test them out with the cab modules that come preset on the kemper before looking to buy any other ones.

EDIT
    I also just noticed that the Dual Rectifier profile sold on the website has "YES" next to "studio profile," so would that mean that there wouldn't be a point to adding a cab onto the Studio profile that is already created?

• 2 updates in one day man, cant believe i paid 40 bucks for this, its still good value at the present price :P
    one day we will get a cab manager in RM Yeah right...And fairies wear boots you gotta believe me :D

Thanks man!

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• pack updated - added

• Marshall JMP Super Lead (1976) w/ high gain mod.

totals 44 amps with the uberschall being added shortly to make it 45... priced at $100 for the moment. Pack includes 960 profiles EXACTLY!

• This is the part where every gets annoyed at me for reminding them that i paid 40$ and i was warning that it would grow this big :P plus me sadly saying i told you so...there will be MUCH more amps and updates added..get it now before it goes up... ;)

40 bucks for this WTF man
    is that a dollar an amp ...??

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited 2 times, last by ashtweth ().

• Yes that should be fine , won't be optimal but should work excellent to for clean to mid gain stuff .

Hi MentaL...in these days I'm looking for a good profile to be used with a mesa 290 power amp and 2 2x12 V30 cabinet. Thinking about the bogner alchemist. of course no cab. this should be ok with the direct, ain't it?

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music