Boss Katana 100 watt 212

• No way to just turn the effects off? That would be a super downer for me with respect to this amp. I'd want to use just the "power amp" section, without the preamp or the FX. If this is not possible, I can't imagine how it would be good with the Kemper, though it's all YMMV and I don't own this. Running into the FX return would be the option of choice when running the Kemper into an amplifier for me.

The aux input bypasses the internal effects, using only the power amp, which is how I was using it. I was answering a specific question ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• The aux input bypasses the internal effects, using only the power amp, which is how I was using it. I was answering a specific question ...

That should serve the intended purpose then. I get nervous when I see the need for an 1/8" adapter as I don't have an 1/8 to 1/4" cable available.

• That should serve the intended purpose then. I get nervous when I see the need for an 1/8" adapter as I don't have an 1/8 to 1/4" cable available.

I'm using an adapter, but buying a proper cable is not much of a deterrent ...

• That's true, but from what I could make out, it doesn't do really high gain. Probably invest in another Kemper, someday...

I have heard it does excellent in that regard actually. Not amp model specific, obviously; but more than holds it's own. Until I try one however...

• I am not a high gain player but my mesa boogie sits directly below my Katana and I can dial in tones with a lot of gain that are almost identical to those coming from the Mesa....I am shocked as it also feels very similar. But at the end I am not a metal player so probably my judgement is not so valid.

• No, I haven't. I suppose I should, but that will also put the Katana's effects into play I think ...

Using the effectloop, cabs off...is when i started yelling halleluja trying this amp. Try that! :)

In default the fx are behind the return.according to the manual you can change this with the included software.

The fact that position of the return is programmable, brings the conclusion that the return enters the digital domain again.
    In theory the aux in could be the best option cause it MAYbe analog in into the power amp.

• Using the effectloop, cabs off...is when i started yelling halleluja trying this amp. Try that! :)
    In default the fx are behind the return.according to the manual you can change this with the included software.

The fact that position of the return is programmable, brings the conclusion that the return enters the digital domain again.
    In theory the aux in could be the best option cause it MAYbe analog in into the power amp.

Hmm, well if the effects return input can be adjusted until after the internal effects, then it wouldn't be much different from using the aux input, unless, as you postulated, everything is digital at that point. I doubt the sound will be any better (or worse) via either input...

• Well, I returned it. The highs just always sounded harsh to my ears. I'm sticking with my DXR10 for the KPA, and picking up a lightweight tube amp for my living room adventures.

• I am using the Katana as an amp itself and I am happy with the results. The setting sometimes may looks strange and are different from a "normal" amp but I can replicated the sound of my Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 easily including feel of playing... The Mesa costs almost 10 times more :) .. I am impressed what is possible nowadays with a really cheap amp.... not even talking about all the effects.

Understand fully that you returned it if it does not meet your needs...

• Am I crazy? I own a fantastic Kemper Power Rack that I love to death...best gear purchase I ever made.

Yet...yet...I just want to pull the trigger on buying one of these 100W 1x12 Katanas. I cannot provide a good rational reason. In fact, I am pretty sure it is purely irrational and illogical. But having a nice little practice amp that sounds as good as what I have been hearing about these Katanas...well, whats not to like. Except I already have a friggin' Yammy THR10. So, I have no logical need for this device. But I want one. Is that wrong?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Update:
    For at home use id still second using the katanas return, i know of no other amp below 1000,- that comes even close. My mesa 50/50 does not do better @home then the katana.

Live i used it only once that way, cleans were to die for, unbelievable how this small cheap amp handles those. 3D, dynamic...just great.

Gainy sounds, i used it very limited that gig, were however harsh and boxy.
    Im not sure why, on its own it sounds great also at high volume, but in a band maybe its that classic solid state issue that those just dont hold up in a mix.
    Maybe speaker needs breaking, maybe taking time to tweak output eq does it, or changing the speaker.
    Maybe it just doesnt hold its ground for that use.
    For a fact not love at first sight, although id prefer it over ANY frfrf ive tried still.

Again, @home gain sounds were great.For the price, if thats your budget, or for rehearsel/@home use....id go for it :)

• Definitely give it a shot. It is really good - especially clean and slightly driven. However, my Roland Blues Cube is even better as they really nailed the classical Fender sounds at every volume. I have more fun than ever ... before....It is like a further instrument with dynamics, sag, feedback etc... try one .. you will be surprised .... and yes my Mesa will be now for sale...

• Just to clarify, if I do end up picking up a Katana, it would specifically and exclusively be used as a small, portable practice amp for moving it around my home (sometimes for playing late at night). Easy to move a self-contained combo either upstairs or downstairs, depending on the circumstance. Also, it would only be used for low to low/medium volume playing.

My KPA PowerRack is obviously my primary rig for all other applications, including more intensive practice sessions.

My only hesitation is that I already have a crap load of gear, AND I already have a nice little Yammy THR10. In all honesty, I really don't NEED this Katana...but I am a sucker for new gear, especially when it appears to represent incredible bang for the buck.

I was actually kind of hoping you all talk me out of it. :P:D