Best way to boost volume for each rig in performance mode

• In the process of setting up my performances. For the most part, I need about 10 different "sounds" for a night so what I'm doing is creating 3 different performances that will have a mix of the sounds that I need. There will be "repeats" of certain rigs mixed in throughout the performances. What I'm trying to figure out is a good way to get a volume boost for almost each rig with the push of a button (I have the remote). What I did with my normal guitar/amp setup is have an EQ pedal in the loop and I coudl hit it at any time to give me a level boost without changing the tone. (My Boss EQ had a level control). I see there is a generic EQ available in my effects but it doenst have a volume control so I've just tried bringing up each slider a tad. Not happy with the results.

How are others doing it?

• My current approach might not work for you but... its actually working quite well for how I currently use my Kemper in two different projects.

First, I have performances set up with specific amps going from Clean > Increaing Gain. I then go and volume balance the individual rigs by clicking on the 'Amplifier' button in the 'Stack' section, and accessing the base rig volume (using the stock Crunch rig as reference).

Next, I use the Morph function (without an expression pedal) by using the Slot select buttons on the remote. So, say I am in Slot 1. I hit the same button again and it changes to the Morphed version of Slot 1. I then go back into the 'Amplifier' menu, and adjust the volume 3db louder. I do this for each rig. (note: I may also tweak other things like EQ but for these rigs I am not doing any cool stomp/effects morphing, just setting up a base boost).

So, in essence, my morph for these rigs is a 3db volume increase with minor EQ tweaks.

However, I also have two 'universal' presets for my Effects section that are loaded in these rigs. In the X spot I have either a Pure Boost or 'Cut Through The Mix' EQ with another 3db boost. That way, depending on how the band is cooking, I can morph for a moderate boost, and if I need more mojo, kick in the additional boost when I need it.

• I use the morph function, which triggers at every second click on the preset button of my behringer fcb1010.

For every 5 presets in performance mode, i programmed a "solo" version behind every morph click of the selected sounds.

For cleans that is usually adding a little gain, boosting the pre amp out, and Add some delay.
    For gainy sounds, only volume boost, and adding delay.

To do this, i have delay on, on all my sounds, but in many cases with mix on 0%, this allows me to morph it.

To me this gives a very practical setup, and solo levels/sounds always one click away.

• Yes...i just hit the presetbutton on my footcontroller a second time....make the adjustments....hit it again to go back to the original settings....etc....and store the preset....very easy!

• I use a Volume expression pedal.
    Set at location "Post effect" and range is +4.
    This works as a clean boost at the Kemper output not depending on profiles.

Hey Sharry, I've always found traditional volume pedals distracting trying tweak my volume, so I have a question or two. Is the heel position your normal volume and toe +4? Is that easy to set up?

• There is a "Pure Booster" in the effects. Depending on the position in the chair, you can "just" increase the volume or boost the amp.

Thanks. I have been using the pure booster (which I think is an EP booster?). So when you say "position in the chain"...do you mean put it in the effects loop? I havent read yet how to do that. I'll have to look in the manual. (Lots of stuff to learn and little time unfortuantly...).

• This is intersting. Once again...lots of stuff here I havent yet covered in the manual.

First off: crunch rig as a reference. This is interesting. So how do you do this as dont you have to overwrite the crunch rig when you put something in slot 1?
    2nd: so you can hit the slot button twice and have another sound on it? this sounds like a better idea than maybe programming one of my effects slots with a boost.
    3rd: Universal presets? Is this a thing? One of the things I'm frustrated with is having to set up all this stuff for each slot. I'd love to just set up a boost and an overdrive and have them be the same for a bunch of presets...

• There is a "Pure Booster" in the effects. Depending on the position in the chair, you can "just" increase the volume or boost the amp.

I use a Volume expression pedal.
    Set at location "Post effect" and range is +4.
    This works as a clean boost at the Kemper output not depending on profiles.

I have used both of the above solutions.....currently using the volume pedal method.

For the Pure Booster, put it in slot x and adjust the dB boost to taste. This worked very well when I used this method.

For the volume pedal method, I have the volume pedal post amp and set it to ~+3ish.....
    I have a second pedal that is a morph - I use this to typically add a little bit of gain in the amp, and sometimes fade in a boost pedal (via the mix parameter), and occasionally a delay and/or reverb (again via mix parameter).
    This way I can have quiet rhythm, loud rhythm, quiet lead, loud lead.....and variations in between because I am using expression pedals.

Here is my board....

[Blocked Image: https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5769/30844288531_2d4ef92fee_c.jpg]IMG_6021 by JohnBorsa, on Flickr

Morph is left, volume is right.

Finally, I typically play ONE rig all night with variations on the effects, gain, boosts, etc...all controlled with morph. And volume controlled as described. I have learned the less rigs used the easier it is too match levels.

YMMV, but this is very flexible for me.

• First off: crunch rig as a reference. This is interesting. So how do you do this as dont you have to overwrite the crunch rig when you put something in slot 1?
    2nd: so you can hit the slot button twice and have another sound on it? this sounds like a better idea than maybe programming one of my effects slots with a boost.
    3rd: Universal presets? Is this a thing? One of the things I'm frustrated with is having to set up all this stuff for each slot. I'd love to just set up a boost and an overdrive and have them be the same for a bunch of presets...

1) I have a performance set up with just Crunch in all five slots. I also have it set up to maintain the slot when I change performances (in the system menu I think). So in Rig Manager, I move the Performance Crunch so it is on click up or down from the performance I am going to balance. Then, I go to Performance Crunch, hit a power cord, switch to the other Performance, hit the same power cord, tweak the volume, save the performance, rinse and repeat as necessary, and then go to the next slot. It's not perfect and I still have a hard time balancing cleans and gain even with the clean sens but I get close enough.

2) Exactly. If you have the remote if you choose a slot, the lower LED lights up. If you click on that slot again, the upper LED lights up indicating the Morph state. (it doesn't HAVE to be different, and you can either use the button to switch or an expression pedal to, well, morph...).

3) That was my terminology but what it really means is I have saved my entire Stomps and Effects as presets that I can either call up, or copy/paste into my rigs. I do this so that vertically, when I am switching through my performances, all slots align with similar gain, stomps & effects. This way, switching up and down, really the only thing that is changing is the base amp - the gain, the stomps & effects are all the same.

If I understand you correctly you are onboard with a Feature Request we have been asking for for a long time, and I have reasonable assuredness that eventually the Kemper team will address. Essentially having one base/root stomp/effect that when tweaked, the tweaks are inherited where ever that effect is used. Right now, its sort of the exact opposite. You have the base stomp/effect, but the tweaks are stored in the individual rigs, so there is no inheritance - you have to manually make sure the settings are the same one way or another either by manually tweaking, copy/pasting, storing/recalling a preset, etc.. We'll have to be patient I guess...

• Hi Kingsxman!

I use the "Morph"- Function for this case. So you can easily switch between two levels of volume with every of the 5 Preset-buttons.
    How to do: only press the Preset-Button on the Remote a second time (upper LED lit) and set volume to your favourite level - ready - if you switch back to the lower LED the basic volume is available again.

Groovy Greetings, Gerhard

• Thanks. I have been using the pure booster (which I think is an EP booster?). So when you say "position in the chain"...do you mean put it in the effects loop? I havent read yet how to do that. I'll have to look in the manual. (Lots of stuff to learn and little time unfortuantly...).

No, not in the effcts loop.
    You can put it in the A, B, C, D, X, Mod and Delay position.
    That's what I was talking about.

• Next, I use the Morph function (without an expression pedal) by using the Slot select buttons on the remote. So, say I am in Slot 1. I hit the same button again and it changes to the Morphed version of Slot 1. I then go back into the 'Amplifier' menu, and adjust the volume 3db louder. I do this for each rig. (note: I may also tweak other things like EQ but for these rigs I am not doing any cool stomp/effects morphing, just setting up a base boost).

So, in essence, my morph for these rigs is a 3db volume increase with minor EQ tweaks.

So this is the trick! Just did it with a few of my rigs and it works great. Having to go into the amplifier section and adjust the volume seems to be the key to getting it to work. I tried the volume knob and that didnt work. I also found that I needed to get in and adjust the delay times so it wouldnt "morph" slowly from lower to higher (and back) after hitting the button. Very cool.

This gets me thinking that, with by using the volume, time and delay, I could maybe use morphing for the intro to "Dont stop believing". You know that part where Neal Schon comes in with the quick repeating riff line that builds builds and builds and then goes out with lots of delay? Just hit a button...time how long it takes and set it up.. Way cool.