Discussion with Michael Britt about studio vs merged profiles

• I don't quite get this. Surely you would use a studio DI profile for this and then add an IR. One output could go FoH and the other to a guitar cabinet without IR. Am I missing something? I understood a merged profile to be a DI merged with studio profile to calculate the difference and separate the cab.

I think you are correct. The point of this discussion was to try and find out why D.I. sound + cab&mic portion of the sound does not sound EXACTLY the same as the studio profile as @lonestargtr pointed out in the video I've posted in the begining of this thread. But we're talking very small differences here and mostly things of feel rather than something drastic.

• A studio profile can also be a DI only from either a power amp or preamp. When profiling you tick the box for no cab and the cab section will later be inactive and not lit. Following that you could add either a cab from another profile, or an impulse response converted by cab maker.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

Edited once, last by karlic ().

• A while back I noticed that a Direct Profile and the same Direct Profile from a merged profile sounded different,

I bought it up in a thread here, to which I had this response from Mr Kemper:

I can hear that small difference in fizziness too. The difference is caused by technical reasons, it is even intended.
    It will not affect the sound when you play through a cabinet, as these
    frequencies are heavily attenuated by the speaker. Check it out!

So this may have an effect?

• A while back I noticed that a Direct Profile and the same Direct Profile from a merged profile sounded different,

I bought it up in a thread here, to which I had this response from Mr Kemper:

So this may have an effect?

Very interesting thread you've linked there, thanks for the link and doing the tests!