The cab section -help a noob take the blanket off his sound

• Hi everyone,

Recent Kemper purchaser here. Home recording is the main planned usage: Kemper - Apollo Twin - Mac.

I've been struggling with mine to be honest -it's been sounding very wooly and muffled in the top end.

I've loaded up MBritt profiles, done a factory reset, check my connections -still nothing. Then on a hunch I turned off the cab section of a profile and loaded up an ownhammer IR using Two Notes Wall of Sound in Logic.

Suddenly all the presence and top end goodness is there! Perhaps a tad too much but still miles better than with the cab on on the Kemper and overall exactly what I was expecting from the Kemper. All the models sound killer.

So, my question is: Is there some kind of overall setting for cabs that makes them sound dark?

• See if pure cab in the output section is switched on or off.
    You might want to have it switched off.

Thanks for the reply!

Just turned it down and it's better than having it up, but still not as good as switching a cab off and using an IR.

I just dialed back a slight presence push I had on the output eq and the Kemper is sounding killer with IRs and no cabs on.

Though it would be nice to get the same results all in the box...

• I think mbritt's stuff is pretty dark overall (many agree, many disagree). You can also use cabs from other profiles and see if that improves stuff. Go through the factory content maybe :)

Oh, and welcome! :)

I was wondering if that was the case. I've removed most factory content as part of reloading profiles after the reset, so I'll revisit them. Thanks!

You can use the cabmaker software to get the IR into the Kemper.
    Check different profiles and see if you like one, lock the cab and use it on other profiles.

Interesting! will look into it.

• I think mbritt's stuff is pretty dark overall (many agree, many disagree). You can also use cabs from other profiles and see if that improves stuff. Go through the factory content maybe :)

Oh, and welcome! :)

Definitely this. When I first started with my Kemper, I heard everyone raving about MBritt's profiles, but I could didn't like any of them because they sounded to dark and too much bass for me. Eventually, I sat down with some and just added a LITTLE bit of treble and presence using the main EQ, or in some cases, just dialed a LITTLE bass out, and now, the MBritt profiles make up about 85-90% of what I use. Could not be happier with them. He captures the key components of the sound. Then I just tweak a little bit because my setup is obviously different than his. But I've been playing professionally for over 20 years, have owned Marshalls, Friedmans, Mesas, etc., and I have never had as many compliments on my tone (by people who know what they're talking about) as I have since I started using the Kemper. Stick with it and you will love the result. But you will have to put a little bit of time into making the sound what you want. The key is, to start with an excellent base as a profile (like MBritt).

• Same thing here, OhG - I only have to dial a little bass out on the Stack EQ (way less than I'd have thought), and that's it.

In fact, if it's an MBritt Profile, I hit the EQ blind before even auditioning; it's a consistent bass cut of a poofteenth.

Haven't seen you on the board for quite a while mate. Hope you're well.

• Same thing here, OhG - I only have to dial a little bass out on the Stack EQ (way less than I'd have thought), and that's it.

In fact, if it's an MBritt Profile, I hit the EQ blind before even auditioning; it's a consistent bass cut of a poofteenth.

Haven't seen you on the board for quite a while mate. Hope you're well.

Thanks Monkey. Been well. After spending more and more gigs with the Kemper, I'm having less questions about it and just flat out enjoying it even more. Happy new year to you man!

• Michael includes the following language in all of his packs that I have purchased.