Bass Rig Recommendations Please

• Guys, I'm under a time crunch at the moment and have spent so much unanticipated effort screwing around with guitar tones in the KPA over the last few months that I wasn't able to put much effort toward investigating bass tones. If any bass players out there can recommend a few really good sounding hard rock bass profiles for recording purposes, or something in the tone realm of Geezer Butler (Sabbath, in particular Dio-Era Sabbath) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sonic

• if you like this sound ...

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

... this is a boss odb3 pedal with my "Vox Basscab" Rig

first you hear only the bass and my rig and then with the odb ...

i always struggled to get the bass tone i wanted until i got the right bass,

do you use a similar bass as the band with the sound you're looking for ?

• Thanks guys.

Yeah, I actually get quite a good sound using a Sansamp. But the first few KPA profiles I tried weren't in the same solar system of sound quality. I just need to spend a bit of time running through profiles.

• My bass player uses a Mesa M6 Carbine rig live and at rehearsal. When we did his DI tracking I intended to reamp through his bass rig and for the hell of it I looked around to see if I could find any profiles of his amp and I found them here and was pretty impressed by the result. It sounded dead on like his amp.

• @metalhorse442 , thanks for the link.

I was also just looking in the latest Kemper Bass Rig pack (contains both v1 & v2) and there are a bunch of profiles called "Brass Driver". Is that the SansAmp Bass Driver ? If so, any idea which version? There isn't any documentation with the pack that tells what the pseudo-names map to....

Thanks,

Sonic

• I played one profile I liked but nothing else, and cannot remember which one it was. I use my own and they tend to take care some of the frequencies you don't normally want in the mix. Haven't used in a while; I'll see if I can find them to send you.

• Try double impact and sins bass pack , might be a bit modern sounding but I think could be tweaked for this

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Well, I tried the Amp Pig Dirt profile just for fun and wow did that ever turn out strange. The KPA is super sensitive to fret buzz, I noticed that before even with guitars. And when I listen back to the bass track in the mix it has a "phasey" sound going on, which appears to be created by the fret buzz accentuation. Really strange. So I recorded another track using a SansAmp to could A/B against and no such issues at all with the SansAmp. I even hear the "phasey" issue from the KPA when playing guitar at times but it really comes out noticeable with the bass track.

Anyway, not planning to delve too deeply into the bass track quirk just yet. Soon though...

Sonic

• Well, I tried the Amp Pig Dirt profile just for fun and wow did that ever turn out strange. The KPA is super sensitive to fret buzz, I noticed that before even with guitars. And when I listen back to the bass track in the mix it has a "phasey" sound going on, which appears to be created by the fret buzz accentuation. Really strange. So I recorded another track using a SansAmp to could A/B against and no such issues at all with the SansAmp. I even hear the "phasey" issue from the KPA when playing guitar at times but it really comes out noticeable with the bass track.

Anyway, not planning to delve too deeply into the bass track quirk just yet. Soon though...

Sonic

I believe that's due to subtle differences between profile and amp, profiles being "tighter" and accentuating certain frequencies giving more of such an effect. May be wrong but I think it's likely the cause.

Sonic

That particular profile IS especially sensitive to fret buzz.

• What is the deal with the KPA on this fret buzz / phasing thing? I'm tying this anomaly to fret buzz but it is not the fret buzz itself causing things, rather there's something in the KPA that wants to latch onto certain frequencies or something and the end result is a very weird phasey kind of result. Like a pissed off mosquito is flying around drunk in the room.

I've read some other's making reference to this before but never really saw any discussion come of it. Anybody know what is going on with this quirk? What aspect of the KPA is doing this? Gain, compressor, sampling oddity, something else??? Could be any number of things but it renders the track useless and you can't always detect it until you are done recording and listening back in a mix. Then you have the drunk mosquito in your song.

Sonic

• What is the deal with the KPA on this fret buzz / phasing thing? I'm tying this anomaly to fret buzz but it is not the fret buzz itself causing things, rather there's something in the KPA that wants to latch onto certain frequencies or something and the end result is a very weird phasey kind of result. Like a pissed off mosquito is flying around drunk in the room.

I've read some other's making reference to this before but never really saw any discussion come of it. Anybody know what is going on with this quirk? What aspect of the KPA is doing this? Gain, compressor, sampling oddity, something else??? Could be any number of things but it renders the track useless and you can't always detect it until you are done recording and listening back in a mix. Then you have the drunk mosquito in your song.

Sonic

Certain frequencies will bring out more fret buzz. I did profiles of an acoustic simulator for example. Not for piezo pickups, but it's supposed to turn your electric into acoustic tone -- and it targets frequencies that happen to bring out fret buzz as well as making an electric guitar sound like an acoustic. I don't think you could find any guitar that didn't buzz quite a bit with that profile.

But in that case it's close to the original acoustic sim. When it comes to regular amp tones, as said, I just suspect that differences between amp and kpa profile result to more "harmonic overtones" that may not be desirable. But we may not be talking about the same thing, not sure.

If you could share a clip of this effect it will be easier to tell.